NHL'94 Forums

NHL Hockey (94) DOS Solitaire League

Playing Full Seasons of NHL Hockey (94) DOS

In the spirit of what Tecmo Guys do with Full Seasons.
No need to sign up, just post your Seasons here.
Play as many Seasons as you like.
I will award a Retro NHL Bobblehead to the Person who has the best record of Season and Playoffs.
Can you go 100-0.  84-0-0 in Season and 16-0 in Playoffs.

Rules:
-You may choose any team.
-5 minute periods
-Penalties On, Offsides Off
-84 Game Season and 7 Game Playoff Series.
-Line Changes OFF, but special rules do apply to your roster.
---Players must play their default postion and with their default line.  RW = RW etc...
---You must use Line 1 and Defense Pair 1 and Goalie 1 for the first 21 games.
---The next 21 games Line 1 will rotate back to Line 4, and Line 2, 3, and 4 will all move up 1 slot. 
---The defense pairs will rotate in the same fashion.  Except with only 3 pairs Pair 1 will play with Line 4.
---Goalie 1 will play with Line 1 and 3, Goalie 2 will play with Line 2 and 4*.  Teams with a third Goalie will play him with Line 4.
---Scratched players are scratched for the season.
---Playoff Rosters work similarly.
---Each Forward Line can play in 1 and only 1 playoff series.  You choose the order but if Line 2 is playing Line 3 is backup etc....
---Each Defensive Pairing work just like in the season 1 with 1 and 4, 2 with 2 and 3 with 3.
---Each Goalie plays in 2 Series.  If teams have a third goalie he does not have to play in the Playoffs.

I have started my first season with Minnesota.  I will post some results later tonight.

Edited by CoachMac
  • Like 3

This was the version of NHL hockey that I ever played.  I still maintain it's not NHL94, as the Stars were in Dallas, yet they remain in MN for this game, and other team rosters reflect this.

Still, it's a lot of fun, too bad they don't have manual goalie control.  I'll forgive them as they do have the full season mode in there, and that makes it the perfect vs CPU hockey game.

32 minutes ago, Edge of 94' WI said:

I still maintain it's not NHL94, as the Stars were in Dallas

Everything in all versions of NHL 94 is based on 1993 season.
All the ratings are the same in both the 94 Gens Cart and this game, although the rosters are deeper and the lines are more accurate.

The 94 Gens cart keeps players on 2 teams, moves the Stars to Dallas, and includes the Ducks and Panthers.
But it is still based on 1993 season.

The way games were named back then was for the upcoming season (in this case 94), but based on the previous season (93).
So the naming gets confusing.

Just now, CoachMac said:

All the ratings are the same in both the 94 Gens Cart and this game, although the rosters are deeper and the lines are more accurate.

The 94 Gens cart keeps players on 2 teams, moves the Stars to Dallas, and includes the Ducks and Panthers.

The way games were named back then was for the upcoming season (in this case 94), but based on the previous season (93).

are you aware of any method to play against humans in this outside of local play?  Might have to have this on the side at our tournament in February.

10 hours ago, CoachMac said:

The games are still named like that.   The older console just didn't get roster updates like now.

image.png

So far so good at 5-0-0. I'm noticing some of the tactics to score in Gens are pretty close to PC. I've had some close games and I suspect that my 3rd and 4th lines will cause me a lot of problems. Especially since Berezan is a scratch.

hockey_020.pnghockey_000.pnghockey_002.png

The North Stars are the the #1 team in the Norris Division, the Campbell Conference, and the League.
The #1 Line, Defense Pair, and Goalie:  Gilchrist, Modano, Courtnall, Tinordi, Hatcher, and Casey went 17-4-0.
(9-1-0 Home) (8-3-0 Road) (3-1-0 Overtime)
The #2 Line, Defense Pair, and Goalie:  Duchesne, Gagner, Dahlen, Johnson, Ludwig, and Wakaluk went 11-8-2.
(7-3-1 Home) (4-5-1 Road) (1-2-2 Overtime)
Darcy Wakaluk W-L stats are off he should be 11-8-2.  His GAA etc... are accurate. (weird)
Jon Casey had 3 Shutouts.
Darcy Wakaluk had 2 Shutouts.

Team Rankings

hockey_003.pnghockey_004.pnghockey_007.pnghockey_006.pnghockey_005.png

The North Stars are 24th (last) in Scoring and 1st in Defense.
They have the 11th rated Power Play and the 1st rated Penalty Kill

Skaters

hockey_008.pnghockey_009.pnghockey_010.pnghockey_011.pnghockey_012.pnghockey_013.pnghockey_014.pnghockey_015.png

Goaltenders

hockey_016.pnghockey_017.pnghockey_018.png

Edited by CoachMac

image.png

Took my first L in St. Louis to the tune of 3-2. I ran into serious penalty trouble and fell victim to a few fluky goals. Pat Falloon had about 5 minutes of ice time despite taking no penalties. I'll have to wrap up line 1 later on but i think i should go 20-1 barring another game with bad luck.

After spending a lot of time with line 2 players in STL and then having to deal with John Carter at LW once Garpenlov got hurt at Joe Louis, I have less optimism for success. These players are really bad and I would predict a few 0-0 games. Lines 3 and 4 will be more of a battle for .500. Thankfully Irbe is my best goalie but he is my 3rd stringer. Pretty fun game that while not super challenging, is definitely a step up from GENS or SNES.

10 hours ago, angryjay93 said:

I'll have to wrap up line 1 later on but i think i should go 20-1 barring another game with bad luck.

So my Gordie Howe Bobblehead is safe for now!

I started 9-1-0 and finished 17-4-0 with Line 1.

It is trickier and deeper than you think.
You will have some struggles with other lines.

10 hours ago, angryjay93 said:

Pretty fun game that while not super challenging, is definitely a step up from GENS or SNES.

Huge step up!
You lost a game...to  the CPU!...the King of 94!

I actually have a hard time playing the GENS version anymore.
This is a way better game!

I am going to post some more details about my season that will show the depth of the game.

I hope more people will join this League!
No Lag, No Waiting, Play at your own pace.

More DOS awesomeness....besides having back-up goalies play against you...and sometimes play well. (I lost to Pat Jablonski!)...you can chase a goalie if you get to him early!

I have been outshot by the computer in 28 of 46 GP so far.
13 times the CPU has had over 20 shots against me and as high as 29.

I have been outchecked by the computer in 15 of 46 GP so far.

The LACK OF MANUAL GOALIE DOES NOT MATTER when the DEFENSIVE AI is good.

I have also played a little bit of 95 DOS and it is not as strong.  Mainly because CREASE CUTS work.

I have included more stats in my Half way season wrap up.  Including my overtime record, Home/Away Record, and Shutouts.

My 12 losses are to:
QUE (twice)
VAN (twice) (1-4 drubbing one time)
CHI (twice) (4 wins and chased Belfour with a 4-0 first period)
CGY
DET
EDM
NYI (4-5 loss in OT, wild game)
NJ
TB (with Pat Jablonski in net)

Tied:
NYR
TOR

This game is definitely pretty awesome. I noticed the backup goalie thing too when I chased Vernon in the 1st period. I also got to go against jablonski when I faced Tampa so maybe he is the starter?

Some of the player ratings are different from console version. For instance, go check out Joe nieuwendyk, he is a monster in the PC version. Also, I noticed a lot of the scratches who aren't on the console version have some really strong ratings. Ray Whitney is a scratch with ratings make him arguably the best sharks player. It's kind of a bummer that the scratches got way over juiced.

I should make some more progress on Friday and I'll post that once I have it with more observations.

21 hours ago, angryjay93 said:

This game is definitely pretty awesome. I noticed the backup goalie thing too when I chased Vernon in the 1st period. I also got to go against jablonski when I faced Tampa so maybe he is the starter?

Some of the player ratings are different from console version. For instance, go check out Joe nieuwendyk, he is a monster in the PC version. Also, I noticed a lot of the scratches who aren't on the console version have some really strong ratings. Ray Whitney is a scratch with ratings make him arguably the best sharks player. It's kind of a bummer that the scratches got way over juiced.

I should make some more progress on Friday and I'll post that once I have it with more observations.

Jablonski is the starter as he should be!
He played more games than Wendell Young in 1992-93.  43-31.

Joe Nieuwendyk's ratings look more accurate.  He would be rated 92 if you plug those ratings into NOSE.
BUT, I also think the ratings are very different in this game.
The DOS version does not calculate an overall.

BUT,

The shoot/pass bias does show AND each player has a FACEOFF rating, so maybe that has something to do with winning faceoffs in GENS.

image.pngimage.png

Just a quick recap as I'll save the more detailed update for the half way mark.

20-1-0 with line 1. I had a handful of close games but I ended strong with my  5 game home stand where I ran 4 starting goalies off to the bench including Potvin, and Belfour.

Line 2 will be a true test as it composes some of the lesser talent on the roster.

Carter-Evason-Gaudreau

Zmolek-Wilson

Hayward

Hope I have some easy teams to square off against.

36 minutes ago, angryjay93 said:

image.pngimage.png

Just a quick recap as I'll save the more detailed update for the half way mark.

20-1-0 with line 1. I had a handful of close games but I ended strong with my  5 game home stand where I ran 4 starting goalies off to the bench including Potvin, and Belfour.

Line 2 will be a true test as it composes some of the lesser talent on the roster.

Carter-Evason-Gaudreau

Zmolek-Wilson

Hayward

Hope I have some easy teams to square off against.

Congrats, I went 17-4-0 in my first 21.

It will be interesting to see how you fare with Line 2.

Are you all having problems with blank stats? What options are you using at the very beginning? Are you using 92-93 season or random schedule and then original teams I'm guessing instead of custom? I played 2 games and standings were blank for my league, as well as stats. Also, for this league, do you leave injuries on or turn them off? Thanks.

hockey_001.png 3rd Line goes 13-6-2. 6-3-2 at Home.  7-3-0 on Road.  1-2-2 in  Overtime.

hockey_000.pngNeal Broten outscores Modano.

6-0 win over Chicago.
6-1 win over LA.
8-1 win over Detroit.
7-4 win at Boston.

Lost to:
CGY 1-3
VAN 0-1
NJ 4-5
TB 1-2 (OT)
TOR 3-4
STL 2-3 (OT)

7 minutes ago, GoTitans21 said:

Are you all having problems with blank stats? What options are you using at the very beginning? Are you using 92-93 season or random schedule and then original teams I'm guessing instead of custom? I played 2 games and standings were blank for my league, as well as stats. Also, for this league, do you leave injuries on or turn them off? Thanks.

You have to go to File>League Manager>Merge and Update team Databases for the Standings and stats to update.

Injuries are ON.

18 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Not an exciting start with my NYR -- 6-0, 9-0, 7-0, 10-0.  

It's helpful that I have big bad Messier out there, but I am not going to play out this season.  I will try a few more with crappier teams like you guys are doing another night.

Stick with the Rangers Raph.  I started 17-4 so 21-0 with Line 1 will probably happen.  They are YOUR TEAM!  Go 100-0 and I'll send you a Gordie Howe Bobblehead!
The other Lines will be tougher!

18 minutes ago, GoTitans21 said:

Yes, you have to change the stats to whatever you named your season and then go to manage league, update stats or something.  I had the same initial issue.

Also, be careful not to skip a game on the calendar.  I did that and the CPU played the one I skipped. 

1 hour ago, GoTitans21 said:

Thanks for the heads up. For editing lines by the way, do you keep the PK at their default and just change the PP ones? What about for third goalies who are scratched? How can they play?

Just rotate Lines 1-4, Defense 1-3, and Goalies.

If you have a third goalie he plays with Line 4.

On 11/11/2018 at 5:34 PM, CoachMac said:

-Line Changes OFF, but special rules do apply to your roster.
---Players must play their default postion and with their default line.  RW = RW etc...
---You must use Line 1 and Defense Pair 1 and Goalie 1 for the first 21 games.
---The next 21 games Line 1 will rotate back to Line 4, and Line 2, 3, and 4 will all move up 1 slot. 
---The defense pairs will rotate in the same fashion.  Except with only 3 pairs Pair 1 will play with Line 4.
---Goalie 1 will play with Line 1 and 3, Goalie 2 will play with Line 2 and 4*.  Teams with a third Goalie will play him with Line 4.
---Scratched players are scratched for the season.
---Playoff Rosters work similarly.
---Each Forward Line can play in 1 and only 1 playoff series.  You choose the order but if Line 2 is playing Line 3 is backup etc....
---Each Defensive Pairing work just like in the season 1 with 1 and 4, 2 with 2 and 3 with 3.
---Each Goalie plays in 2 Series.  If teams have a third goalie he does not have to play in the Playoffs.

Line 2 just kept things rolling by going 21-0-0 despite the defense not being quite as stout with Doug Zmolek and Brian Hayward committing their share of mistakes. 

On the other hand, the offense was just too much for almost every team to handle as Rob Gaudreau found his groove early and rode it the entire time. I have a really good feel for my dekes now, it became evident by the end of the Line 1 schedule but it just became a staple in the offense for Line 2. John Carter and Dean Evason lagged behind a bit but they still did a lot of work on offense and did a great job of getting the puck to Gaudreau.

Doug Wilson led the D with a lot of ice long rushes and a few blasts from the point, he seemed very young and spry as the wind blew through his hair. 

I don't have any of the scores but Line 2 did face some stiff competition (Van x5, Mtl & Wpg x2, Min, Pit, Phi). Line 3 gets a bit of a gimmie to start their journey with an away game at Ottawa, the catch is that is the first of a 9 game road trip that runs them all over the east coast. 

Speaking of that third line...

Courtenay-Sullivan-Odgers

Zettler-More

Hackett

I'm a lot more optimistic after how Line 2 fared but I envision a few tough games as none of these guys are as capable of a scorer as Gaudreau. It's a slow unit with not much in terms of offensive talent, I also surely won't be getting 13 goals from either of my defensemen. I''d be surprised if I got 13 combined to be real.

I'm still having a lot of fun, but now that I have a better feel for scoring, I'm more easily able to offset a few fluky goals allowed by my shoddy goaltenders.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Lots of smoke outside in California, thus lots of 94 indoors today.

image.pngimage.png

The third line killed it as they also obtained a perfect 21-0-0 record. They made up for a lack of speed and shooting acumen with in close one timers and a crash the net play style. They faced only a couple of tough games, a 2-1 home game against Winnipeg and an overtime game in Edmonton that ended 2-1. That was the Sharks first OT game this year.

The defense even chipped in, More and Zettler couldn't match Wilson's 13 goals but they did pot a surprising 12 goals and finished with a surprising 50 points, the highest combined total for any pairing.

Next up is Line 4 which isn't a big step down from lLine 3 although Center Dave Maley is one of the lowest rated players in the game.

Pederson-Maley-Bawa

Ozolinsh-Wilkinson

Irbe

Irbe is the best goalie on the team by far, I have my number one D corps and I have a bit more shooting skill on this line than I did with Line 3. I'm expecting a 21-0-0 performance here as well, thus leaving that Line 1 loss in St. Louis a very grave mistake.

With 10 games left in the 1992-93 Minnesota Retro Replay Season the North Stars still have not wrapped up the Presidents Trophy as the Islanders only trail them by 3 points with 2 games in hand.  Mike Modano is getting some PT when Kip Miller takes a penalty and is closing in on a 50 goal season, he currently has 49.  Speaking of Kip Miller he is carrying Line 4 to a respectable 6-3-2 record .  At times I am getting the deke down and feel like I will never lose again and then the CPU tightens down and comes back to beat me.  My last 5 games are a perfect example.
STL 5-3  Win
STL 6-1 Win
PHI 4-2 Win
DET 7-0 Win
So I think I've got it and won't lose again.
Then,

DET 2-4 LOSS

What is most impressive about @angryjay93 season is the number of assist his guys have.
Without turnover breakaway dekes I would be below .500

I am thinking about disallowing them for myself!

hockey_000.pnghockey_001.png

hockey_001.pnghockey_002.png

Finished on a 10 Game Winning Streak to Hold off the Islanders and win the Presidents Trophy.
Kip Miller who did not even play for Minnesota in 1993 was a monster with 47 Goals and almost caught Modano for the team lead.
My dekes are almost becoming automatic and I believe I will go 16-0 in Playoffs.
Darcy Wakaluk should be 27-11-4.  Some of his Wins and Loss are not showing.

Line 1 17-4-0 Home 9-1-0 Road 8-3-0 OT 3-1-0
Line 2 11-8-2 Home 7-3-1 Road 4-5-1 OT 1-2-2
Line 3 13-6-2 Home 6-3-2 Road 7-3-0 OT 1-2-2
Line 4 16-3-2 Home 8-1-1 Road 8-2-1 OT 1-0-2

Overall 57-21-6 Home 30-8-4 Road 27-13-2 OT 6-5-6

Team Stats

hockey_003.pnghockey_004.pnghockey_006.pnghockey_005.pnghockey_008.png

Skater Stats

hockey_009.pnghockey_010.pnghockey_011.pnghockey_012.pnghockey_013.pnghockey_014.pnghockey_015.pnghockey_016.png

Goaltending

hockey_018.pnghockey_019.pnghockey_021.png

Edited by CoachMac

I am planning to do this, but bit differently. I will get 16 forwards, 9 defencemen and 3 goalies to my roster from all players and goalies in game, but those will be worst on overall. Then I use line changes, but if my player will have a injury I will randomize how many games that player is out from play. Also, if someone got 5min or 10min penalty, I will do same thing.  I have to play each goalie as startup goalie on minimum 12 games. If my goalie got below 90% save percentage, that goalie have to rest next game. 

Maybe I even stream this in twitch... ;)

• Like 1