NHL'94 Forums

NHL Hockey (94) DOS Solitaire League

7 minutes ago, Kiba said:

I am planning to do this, but bit differently. I will get 16 forwards, 9 defencemen and 3 goalies to my roster from all players and goalies in game, but those will be worst on overall. Then I use line changes, but if my player will have a injury I will randomize how many games that player is out from play. Also, if someone got 5min or 10min penalty, I will do same thing.  I have to play each goalie as startup goalie on minimum 12 games. If my goalie got below 90% save percentage, that goalie have to rest next game. 

Maybe I even stream this in twitch... ;)

:big_smile:

Looks like a good idea.  After playing this for a season, 100-0 would not be that tough with my scenario.

2 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Is there fighting in this game? Because they're going to murder the other teams.

I think there is no fighting, maybe I will have a lot of penalties thou ;)

image.png

DB is attached here if someone is interested.

NHL Hockey Kiba LA.zip

Edited by Kiba

One thing I always tried when playing against the CPU (NHL94 and 95) was to avoid using speed-burst. It's the biggest advantage you have over the CPU. Forces you to play better positionally.

23 hours ago, Kiba said:

I am planning to do this, but bit differently. I will get 16 forwards, 9 defencemen and 3 goalies to my roster from all players and goalies in game, but those will be worst on overall. Then I use line changes, but if my player will have a injury I will randomize how many games that player is out from play. Also, if someone got 5min or 10min penalty, I will do same thing.  I have to play each goalie as startup goalie on minimum 12 games. If my goalie got below 90% save percentage, that goalie have to rest next game. 

Maybe I even stream this in twitch... ;)

Starting this now on Twitch gamingkiba

image.png

My first season is over! The San Jose Sharks pulled off an 83-1-0 season finishing with a 74 game winning streak after losing in St. Louis back in October. Impressive as that may be, the loss ruins a run at the Gordie Howe bobble head.

image.png

Line 4 did a some serious work out there as I expected. Mark Pederson took over the team lead in points despite dragging the corpse of David Maley with him. Maley certainly made things very tough as his lack of ability nearly lost the Sharks a couple of games. Late in the season the Flames had a 2-1 3rd period lead before Pederson tied the game to send it overtime and then followed it up with the game winner just 30 seconds into the extra frame.

Line 1: 107 GF - 17 GA
Line 2: 129 GF - 20 GA
Line 3: 115 GF - 13 GA
Line 4: 128 GF - 20 GA

A very even performance from all the lines, I suspect Line 1 would have a much better performance now that I'm familiar with the game and I will be saving them for the most difficult playoff match up.

I'll just leave other stats down below as I know at the very least coach will be interested in all of this.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

• Like 2

The San Jose Sharks have capped off their successful season with a 16-0 playoff run to complete the year with a combined 99-1-0 record.

All of the games in the playoffs were blowouts except for Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the Islanders. The Isles took a 2-0 lead into the final two minutes of the third period against the Sharks 4th line. Pat Falloon came to save the day as he was subbed in for the injured Robin Bawa. He set up David Maley to make it a 2-1 Isles lead with 1:40 left and then later scored the tying goal himself with just 50 seconds.  Before the regulation ended, Falloon was knocked out of the game which put the Sharks on the PP moving into overtime. It only took a mere 29 seconds for defensive defensemen Neil Wilkinson to scoop up a puck in the neutral zone, dash off for a breakaway and pot the Stanley Cup Winning goal with a beautiful deke. 

I had a good bit of fun with this version of the game, it certainly has it's charm and is a somewhat challenging game. But there are still some holes in the AI here and the challenge is only slightly greater than GENS in the end. Tis a shame I missed out on the bobble head by a game as I don't think I'd attack another season with the same vigor as this one.  

image.pngimage.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MikeGartner22 said:

What is the EA Sports Cup awarded for? 

I think it is awared to player/goalie who get most EA stars, which are presented after the each game.

Edited by Kiba

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting for someone to make a relevant thread about the DOS version.  Ever since I signed up here, nobody has seemed willing enough to go as far as to say this game was even remotely cool.  All along my impression about this community was that everybody was envious of the DOS version, not wanting to be that guy who admittedly said this is a super fun game in it's own right.  Think about how awesome it must have been 25 years ago.  As a kid I played on the Genesis but anymore I like to default myself to this version.

P.S. shout out to @kingraphfor the business :D

• Haha 1