NHL'94 Forums

Goals after Whistle

aqualizard

I have played hundreds of hours, and recall many strange things and glitches.  Some glitches are more "fixable" than others.  One thing I am wondering:

When a penalty shot is called (immediate whistle) and the puck somehow finds its way into the goal after the whistle -- which is an obvious glitch -- what do people do, in league games?

If I "scored" a goal like this, I would pull my goalie, and let my opponent have a goal to even things out.  

What do you think?

Just now, smozoma said:

I think I've done that, given them a goal back... But hard to be totally sure of a memory from that long ago...

But even if you can't remember, it looks like you think the "right" thing to do is give a goal back, right?

Good sportsmanship should always prevail, if you didn't earn the goal - you should give it back.

This should be the way it is played in league or tournament play IMO.

If you are playing exis, or just for fun - if you plan to play any other way (any goal counts), it should be agreed to beforehand ie. House Rules.

• Thanks 1

Tournament play is a tough one... Thankfully I haven't heard of any disagreements so far. 

But say you're behind by a goal with time running out. Your opponent scores a glitch goal, and then there is only enough time to allow the make-up goal. The empty net goal takes up the time you could have used to try to score the tying goal. What do you do? Do you restart the game and give the guy 60 seconds to score or what...

I think the *official* tournament rules are, a goal is a goal is a goal.  But that is out of necessity.

I know I would not accept a glitch goal. Like Jer said, I want to earn my goals.  I guess in tournament play, with no time left, I would ask for a ruling (and insist I am fine with a "fair play" decision, not a black and white rule).  The 60 second thing -- or however much time is left at glitch goal point -- sounds fair.

In tournament play, couldn't you just "not count" the glitch goal in the final reported score? I wouldn't waste the gametime for a freebie.

This is also where the game should be paused, and a decision made by a ref/judge. No one player should decide how to proceed.

All goals count in tournament play, so while SUPER unlikely to happen if someone scored this way with no time left, that would just be really bad luck.  If people agreed to replay starting in OT or something, sure, what's fair is fair.

Generally I am with smoz here - I only take one shot on penalty shots and I give back the glitch goal in a meaningful game.  Only issue is you lose your penalty shot.  This is similar to if the game freezes and you have to restart while one team has an injured player for the game.  Do you continue to leave him out?  Or is it tough luck?    

It's so rare, and even rarer in meaningful games.  

(I was unclear, I was trying to show why it's not really feasible in a tournament to do honour goals, because it creates questions.

The tournament rule is:  if it's in the game, it's in the game.  A goal is a goal.

Also good point by Raph that you lose your earned penalty shot so giving back the goal is actually hurting yourself assuming an upcoming penalty shot is worth like 0.5 goals, and you've just turned it into -0.5 goals)

• Like 1

I would give back the goal.  This does create another problem though.   The momentum will shift to your opponent as well, which could lead very quickly to another goal for him.  This would not be a huge deal early in the game, but definitely a game changer in third period of a close game. 

Edited by jackandjose

The 2nd attempt on a penalty shot thing is very debatable. I personally feel that considering the flow of the game, I wish everyone agreed to play on and keep trying if a penalty shot gets poked.

Goalie lock is the same way, debatable. Yeah it is a glitch, but its mostly avoidable, and its frustrating to have to flip the puck out cuz your opponent tried to stretch pass you with his goalie lol.

But after whistle through the net penalty shot cheese is definitely never okay to let go. There is absolutely no time I wouldnt give the goal back. Even if I scored it in overtime to win a king of 94, I would ask the opponent if its cool to play next goal wins in another game. But I dont think anyone would take their money and run with this one

1 hour ago, jackandjose said:

I would give back the goal.  This does create another problem though.   The momentum will shift to your opponent as well, which could lead very quickly to another goal for him.  This would not be a huge deal early in the game, but definitely a game changer in third period of a close game. 

It's true.  Momentum can change, plus the other guy does not get a penalty shot.  There is no perfect solution.  But if I am reading things correct, 6 of 6 guys say they think the sporting thing to do is give a goal back and swallow the missed penalty shot. 

On 11/13/2018 at 11:11 AM, smozoma said:

Tournament play is a tough one... Thankfully I haven't heard of any disagreements so far. 

But say you're behind by a goal with time running out. Your opponent scores a glitch goal, and then there is only enough time to allow the make-up goal. The empty net goal takes up the time you could have used to try to score the tying goal. What do you do? Do you restart the game and give the guy 60 seconds to score or what...

This exact thing just happened to me and Chaos.  (Well really, me!)

10 seconds left, he "scored" after whistle to tie it up.  Was not even enough time to do makeup goal.  (Of course he then wins in OT, lol).

I realized I don't care enough to do anything about it, at least in this unlikely sitch, where there is no time left.  If there was time, yeah, give me back a goal or whatever.  Or if it was live tourney and I travled and paid $$, maybe ask for a Commish Ruling.  But when the other guy is a good guy, no big deal.  At least that is how it played out. (Chaos doesn't want to upload game, but I said I won't replay cuz I don't care enough.   This sort of "no, please, after you" duel happens a lot in Canada. Maybe Chaos is a canuck at heart.)

1 minute ago, aqualizard said:

This exact thing just happened to me and Chaos.  (Well really, me!)

10 seconds left, he "scored" after whistle to tie it up.  Was not even enough time to do makeup goal.  (Of course he then wins in OT, lol).

I realized I don't care enough to do anything about it, at least in this unlikely sitch, where there is no time left.  If there was time, yeah, give me back a goal or whatever.  Or if it was live tourney and I travled and paid $$, maybe ask for a Commish Ruling.  But when the other guy is a good guy, no big deal.  At least that is how it played out. (Chaos doesn't want to upload game, but I said I won't replay cuz I don't care enough.   This sort of "no, please, after you" duel happens a lot in Canada. Maybe Chaos is a canuck at heart.)

I'd also like to point out I was most likely to score with Hawerchuk on the penalty shot ;), had the momentum lol.

But I didn't even know this was a thing. I always tend to shoot the puck after a whistle. Now I know.

I paused, asked aqua what we should do, he said continue playing. I did "wait" until 5 min into OT to score, was trying to just go into the zone and basically just put a shot on goal the whole time, one of them just squeaked past his goalie. 

I feel really guilty. He says it's not a big deal, but it is a league game. 

• Like 1

In our tournament play, we go by  EA's motto(company not player) If it's in the GA, "It's in the GA".  Pass shots, CB checks, goals at the buzzer, goals after the whistle, goals paired with interference penalties, whatever.  The exception is the stalling tactic on your own end of the ice.  It sucks to be on the bad end of some of these things, but ultimately we are playing a digital representation of hockey, not hockey itself.

21 minutes ago, Edge of 94' WI said:

In our tournament play, we go by  EA's motto(company not player) If it's in the GA, "It's in the GA".  Pass shots, CB checks, goals at the buzzer, goals after the whistle, goals paired with interference penalties, whatever.

The only one of those things listed that is a true glitch is "goals after the whistle". IMO "goals after whistle" is in a spot all it's own: a true mistake in the game that:

1. allows a goal to count that happened outside of game clock time
2. takes away a penalty shot attempt

Pass shots, CB checks, even a goal at the buzzer (0:00) are not true glitches. (As some of the ROM modders have noted, the latter happens with a fraction of a second left, which gets rounded to "0:00" on the clock, since there aren't hundreths of seconds to display.)

Note: That said, I totally get the tournament rule "a goal is a goal", because any other official stance will open a can of worms.

Edited by aqualizard

22 hours ago, chaos said:

I feel really guilty. He says it's not a big deal, but it is a league game. 

Yep, honorary Canadian. Give him his Tim Hortons travel mug,  two-four of Molson Canadian, and the Trailer Park Boys DVD set.

If he gets past the 6 month probationary period, he'll get his Shania Twain fan-club membership and top secret poutine recipe. 

• Like 1