Sign in to follow this  
The Dopefish

What are some of your favorite NHL '94 quirks?

Recommended Posts

I don't know if these have been discussed at all, but I'm curious to know what everyone else likes about NHL '94 that is kinda quirky!

One that comes to mind is when you check someone into the boards just right and it sends the opponent flying off into the middle of the ice.  Another one is when you have offsides on and you pass to a skater who is offside but still score a goal with a one timer; doesn't happen often but it's funny when it works!

Anyone have some good quirks they want to share?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also a fan of the checks sending players all the way back across the ice. If they make it nearly all the way across to the other side, that's cause for an instant replay to verify if they did in fact hit the far boards or not.

Another checking quirk is that sometimes you'll check the player and then continue your speed boost check really far, like from the goal line up until almost centre ice.

If you aim for the top corner from in close and off to the side of the net, but miss the net, the puck will fly off into the sky at a billion miles per hour.

You can one-time the puck out of mid-air.

Sometimes the player will automatically one-time their own rebound (regular slapshot on goal, bounces off the goalie, player automatically makes a huge wind-up and slapshots it again, usually for a goal).

It is possible for two players to check one player at the same time (with the crosscheck animation, into the boards)

Sometimes the goalie spontaneously morphs into a skater and lays a huge crosscheck on an opponent who got too close.

If you check a player and he's relatively near the boards, but another player is between him and the boards, he will still fly into the boards, but from farther than usual.

If you slapshot a puck and hit a player in the head when he's near the boards, he'll fly into the boards violently.

Most of these appear in my old highlights videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bMFquzwdFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYwEXRUYE8

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two GENs "quirks" that I like are pass shots, and CB checks.  The CB check, I am sure you know, counteracts the weight bug.  Because both of these quirks require extra skill to execute, I feel they actually enhance the game. (Pass shots in particular would suck if they were easy to pull off. Might even wreck the game.)

(Interestingly, I am weak at CB checking, and pass shooting.  But I give myself a D in each category.  I am hoping to get to a letter grade B level in my career.  When I started playing online I was an F -- didn't even attempt (or know about) either.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smozoma said:

Another checking quirk is that sometimes you'll check the player and then continue your speed boost check really far, like from the goal line up until almost centre ice.

If you aim for the top corner from in close and off to the side of the net, but miss the net, the puck will fly off into the sky at a billion miles per hour.

You can one-time the puck out of mid-air.

Sometimes the player will automatically one-time their own rebound (regular slapshot on goal, bounces off the goalie, player automatically makes a huge wind-up and slapshots it again, usually for a goal).

It is possible for two players to check one player at the same time (with the crosscheck animation, into the boards)

Sometimes the goalie spontaneously morphs into a skater and lays a huge crosscheck on an opponent who got too close.

If you check a player and he's relatively near the boards, but another player is between him and the boards, he will still fly into the boards, but from farther than usual.

If you slapshot a puck and hit a player in the head when he's near the boards, he'll fly into the boards violently.

Most of these appear in my old highlights videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bMFquzwdFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYwEXRUYE8

 

The bold one I didn't know about, and the italics I do (particularly the rebound one).  I forgot to mention that once in a while a player will maintain his speed and handles oddly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another quirk I like, are the goofy goals.  Like when you slide a pass from center ice, and it on occasion it goes five hole.  I have never seen it happen to Roy or Eddie, but the netminder tiers under those giants are all vulnerable.  On Hrudey it happens a lot, lol.

It kind of mirrors real life: there *should* be some glitchy goals like that.  And the same way the seconds actually go faster in the game, the goofy goals (pass from from center ice, rebound off boards then off goalie's butt, A button launch down the ice that lofts straight into the net) happen more frequently, too.  But it all just feels right.

Edited by aqualizard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Another quirk I like, are the goofy goals.  Like when you slide a pass from center ice, and it on occasion it goes five hole.  I have never seen it happen to Roy or Eddie, but the netminder tiers under those giants are all vulnerable.  On Hrudey it happens a lot, lol.

It kind of mirrors real life: there *should* be some glitchy goals like that.  And the same way the seconds actually go faster in the game, the goofy goals (pass from from center ice, rebound off boards then off goalie's butt, A button launch down the ice that lofts straight into the net) happen more frequently, too.  But it all just feels right.

On this note, another quirk: when you take a hard enough shot in the top corner that the goalie initially saves but goes in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Dopefish said:

The bold one I didn't know about, and the italics I do (particularly the rebound one).  I forgot to mention that once in a while a player will maintain his speed and handles oddly.

Oh yeah, I call that "losing friction". Usually seems to happen when backchecking, then you fly past your opponent and need to bounce off the boards in order to regain friction. I've also seen it happen a couple times during the penalty screen (when the player is heading to the box and you can still skate around). Pretty funny when the guy flies by super fast.

Oh and there's that weird quirk/bug/oversight where during the penalty screen the up/down/left/right is still relative to the usual rink view, so you need to press left or right to go 'up' on the screen to "talk to the ref" or check a guy into the penalty box.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Dopefish said:

On this note, another quirk: when you take a hard enough shot in the top corner that the goalie initially saves but goes in.

You mean the shot where the puck teeters on the corner, where the crossbar meets the side?  Literally the puck hangs there for like 200 milleseconds, like the game is crunching some serious numbers to decide "in or out". (Though when this happens, it is always in.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, smozoma said:

 

Oh and there's that weird quirk/bug/oversight where during the penalty screen the up/down/left/right is still relative to the usual rink view, so you need to press left or right to go 'up' on the screen to "talk to the ref" or check a guy into the penalty box.

Checking a player into the boards during the sideways controls is always cause for a pause down-up-down-up flick for respect

Its one of the more feel good quirks lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like holding C when you have the puck as the goalie, as it makes him shake it like a madman lol

Also holding the puck as the goalie, when you have it behind your net and press A you can bounce it off the back of the net. You can then pick it up again and do it indefinitely

The fact that right and left handed players skate slightly different from each other is a crazy quirk. I would think 94 is the only game with that quirk (there's a good chance 93 is like this too I suppose).

Standing behind your net as a player with the puck if you face forward and press C, the puck will bounce off the back of the net. If you turn yourself almost backward, so the puck is really close to the boards, and press C, you'll flip it over the net instead of hitting it. Not really a quirk per se, just a surprisingly stellar physics system.

Blue ice!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the "losing friction" bug, I don't think I've had it happen as bad as I just did: I speed-bursted three times and I think I went halfway around the rink in one (real time) second! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "bouncy" top of the net -- sometimes when you float one on goal, it hits the top of the net and bounces off like a trampoline into the stands.  

The away team colored eyes on the faceoff:

eyes.png

The severed leg in the stands (my scoreboard hack fixes this):

leg_wtf.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, The Dopefish said:

Back to the "losing friction" bug, I don't think I've had it happen as bad as I just did: I speed-bursted three times and I think I went halfway around the rink in one (real time) second! :lol:

I've seen that once or twice, it's hilarious. Just rocket around the endboards like a luge sled through a curve.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:24 AM, TomKabs93 said:

Checking a player into the boards during the sideways controls is always cause for a pause down-up-down-up flick for respect

Its one of the more feel good quirks lol

It's almost like a minigame, trying to hit each other during the penalties.

 

2 minutes ago, kingraph said:

The severed leg in the stands (my scoreboard hack fixes this):

leg_wtf.png

I never noticed that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smozoma said:

 

I never noticed that!

I apologize, you're now never going to "un-see" it and it may drive you crazy. 

I originally noticed it when doing my scoreboard hack (when you're literally dissecting every tile), but I had to delete my detailed post because I originally made an error.  I just realized I never went back to explain my step by step.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kingraph said:

I apologize, you're now never going to "un-see" it and it may drive you crazy. 

I originally noticed it when doing my scoreboard hack (when you're literally dissecting every tile), but I had to delete my detailed post because I originally made an error.  I just realized I never went back to explain my step by step.  

Is it just me, or does it look like the guy in the yellow hat has 3 legs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you look at nhl 92, there is a guy there, I guess they deleted him for some reason, lol

 

pic.jpg

Edited by slapshot67
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slapshot67 said:

if you look at nhl 92, there is a guy there, I guess they deleted him for some reason, lol

 

pic.jpg

He left when they took fighting out of the game!:big_smile:

Forgot his leg though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slapshot67 said:

if you look at nhl 92, there is a guy there, I guess they deleted him for some reason, lol

Might be some sort of inside joke.  In 92, there is a guy there, but he appears to have only one leg.  In 94, there is just the one leg. (Perhaps the missing leg from 92?)  This *is* a weird quirk...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online