NHL'94 Forums

2018 NHL'94 Bud of the Year (your turn to vote)

halifax

2018 Bud of the year.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. 2018 Bud of the year

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/2019 at 03:49 AM

Ola buds,

Normally every year I go through an intense process where I cast several votes by myself and decide a winner for the NHL'94 bud of the year. But last year, too many people got offended and for the year of not wanting to offend anyone, I've decided not to offend anyone except for those that will get offended.

The bud of the year for me is a good ambassador for the community and has done something extra special for the community in the past 12 months or so.

This year we will vote and I have three candidates up for the award.

1. @angryjay93 - Won the King of 94 tournament in Vancouver and has done some incredible videos of breaking down teams for the Sega Genesis version

2. Arda Ocal - announced multiple tournaments for the community, Got Raph in the Prudential Centre to play on the jumbotron and has another big announcement coming up soon!

3. @chaos - works tirelessly at setting up several leagues throughout the year and has been spending lots of time getting RetroArch set up for every one.

Voting closes January 1st!

Previous Winners

Previous Winners

2009 - @smozoma

2010 - @smozoma

2011 - @smozoma and @dan_lizhot

2012 - @smozoma and @DaDonch44

2013 - @kingraph

2014 - @chaos

2015 - @McMikey

2016 - @angryjay93

2017 - @slapshot67

I liked it better when you cast several votes by yourself. :P

Also, didn't AngryJay win and refuse the trophy or something?  And he is up again?  Did Riddick Bowe get another WBC belt when he threw his first one in the trash? :P (I kid, AJ is a worthy nominee every year. Love that he is a top tier player and does the vids and other stuff to make others better.)

And I love what Arda has done.  He is in a unique position with his media ties and skills, which really benefits the community. 

But you gotta go with Chaos.  If Chaos disappeared, it would be he equivalent of our little community getting hit with a nuclear bomb.  The dude is irreplaceable.

(On another note, IMO you yourself should be in the running.  You definitely should be Bud of the Year one of these years, Halifax.) :)

Edited by aqualizard
  • Thanks 2

All are great choices.  Arda having been in multiple spotlights adds another layer of legitimacy of our community in the Esports conversation.  He surely is building a brand of himself as "go to guy" in the Esports world, especially in the retro conversation.  It was a pleasure to have him in Green Bay, and his commentary was beyond entertaining.  As an aspiring amateur, I definitely look up to what he's accomplished.

AJ is the epitome of humble, traveled, accomplished, and mentor when it comes to 94.  The fact that he even came back after being struck down by illness in Green Bay to force 3 games against Kingraph puts him in a special place.  It would have been nice to see them battle it out in Vancouver again.

Chaos is continually seen helping buds online get different solutions working for playing their games, and then of course league management.  As far as online NHL94 is considered, there is no better resource out there.

I submit there is a choice that many of you don't even know exists.  Tom Stahnke the Retro Sports Gamer has done a tremendous job (re)introducing NHL94 to the greater Chicago community, and greatly supported our tournament back in February, and will be doing so again in 2019.

His coverage of the Green Bay tournament was stellar, stable, and a great add when we had issues with our own stream.  Without him we would have lost great games to the void.  The video documentation of player vs player completion on the local level is something that doesn't exist in great abundance.  I feel his efforts will continue to be instrumental in the growth and development of players for years to come.

This year he held a NHL94 Genesis  tournament in Chicago that attracted the likes of Angryjay93, EA, and Brutus, while bringing a bunch of other retro gamers into NHL94, many of which will be at our Green Bay tournament in 2019.

In addition, this January he is running a 4 retro sports tournament consisting of Tecmo Super Bowl, NBA Jam TE, RBI Baseball, and NHL94 on Genesis.  They are also(with the help of legendary Tecmo player Mort) starting a local NHL94 Gens league.

Tom would never ask for this recognition, either in nomination or actual victory.  He's actually pretty poor at 94 at this point(who cares). I wanted to take a moment and share that what he's doing is special, and the community should be aware of it, even if he doesn't live in the forums or our Discord.  You can find him on YouTube and should subscribe.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_b9V5HP0eJZyLuhuEmDf_g?pbjreload=10

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aqualizard said:

But you gotta go with Chaos.  If Chaos disappeared, it would be he equivalent of our little community getting hit with a nuclear bomb.  The dude is irreplaceable.

I believe this is the winning argument, well said.  Pretty much online leagues would die without,@chaos, or someone would have to learn website databases.  Also, I could never run LI Retro Tourney without him.  He's always helping the community online/live with his spare time.

And definitely major thanks to @angryjay93, who continues to be a great ambassador for the game at an elite level.  AJ's building lines was my first introduction to the depth of '94 analysis after smozoma directed me there.  The pages have been updated with C/B analysis, and now vids!  That is hard work, not easy to put that much effort into something, and it's GREATLY appreciated. 

I am also biased for Arda as he has personally provided me the opportunity to play against Ken Daneyko on the Prudential Center jumbotron, which I'll never forget and will always be appreciative of.  He also got the Vegas Golden Knights Twitter to use our '94 celebration GIF, promoted '94 on his shows, broadcasts, and basically has been our biggest celebrity ambassador.  All of this because he's a true retro gaming fan, and a genuinely awesome dude.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I would add Aqualizard and Brutus to the list as well.

But yes, if added to the list I would vote for Halifax for all of his tournaments involvement and fantastic social media presence.

• Thanks 1

I would always vote for myself, because that's just me :) 

Unless Halifax was on the ballot, then I'd have a real tough choice.  The fact he's not on the ballot, forces me to abstain from the above selection.

Chaos has tried to disappear a few times, but it's a little unknown detail that Brute here has a tracker on him, so his short lived absents have always been just that, notification his life is about to be short lived if his absence continues.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2018 at 10:55 AM, kingraph said:

I believe this is the winning argument, well said.  Pretty much online leagues would die without,@chaos, or someone would have to learn website databases.  Also, I could never run LI Retro Tourney without him.  He's always helping the community online/live with his spare time.

LOL, I was thinking about this the other day. What if I just got up and left (or died)? No one would know how the database or website is run. I need to give at least one other person info just in case my wife decides to kill me some day. I should write out some documentation. 

Also, since I'm an admin, I can just rig this vote so I win by default :D

Just kidding guys, thanks for the love and support. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Chaos. Well deserved bud. It's easy to overlook all the work you do to keep things running smoothly around here.

This was really a toss up for me. AJ has done something pretty special with all the youtube videos (even though they're not for SNES lol). And Arda has added a lot of legitimacy and publicity for '94.

But going forward, Halifax definitely deserves to win one of these. Can we all agree he goes on the ballot for 2019?

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

Congrats Chaos. Well deserved bud. It's easy to overlook all the work you do to keep things running smoothly around here.

This was really a toss up for me. AJ has done something pretty special with all the youtube videos (even though they're not for SNES lol). And Arda has added a lot of legitimacy and publicity for '94.

But going forward, Halifax definitely deserves to win one of these. Can we all agree he goes on the ballot for 2019?

Thanks bud.

Halifax and his multiple accounts has been banned from the "bud of the year" voting due to shady voting practices. Plus all he does around here is troll and post stupid crap. ;)

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, chaos said:

Halifax and his multiple accounts has been banned from the "bud of the year" voting due to shady voting practices. Plus all he does around here is troll and post stupid crap. ;)

100% true.  And yet I still think he deserves it. ;)

1 hour ago, Bob Kudelski said:

Yeah, Halifax, put yourself on the ballot next year. (Or one of these Mods can do it, if you neglect to do so again!) :P

Congrats, Chaos.  You  deserve it 100%.

Edited by aqualizard
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the kind words.

What you guys are unaware of is that the by laws were written so specifically that I can’t be nominated. It should be noted that I wrote the bylaws. Then I was ousted as CEO of the voting committee by the board of directors Before I could change the bylaw. Im also on the board of directors. Love you guys. 

• Like 2