NHL'94 Forums

RetroArch Issue: Delayed Button Presses / Jumpy Players

aqualizard

I have two issues, which I experienced with jrolling.

Issue 1: Delayed Buttons 
When I hosted, with a Direct connection, the timing was off. (This is almost always the case for me, with anyone, when I use RA.)  It felt on my end like I was playing someone in Finland.  There was a "constant lag", though it was uniform (no lag spikes).  We did get a game in successfully, but I prefer using GENs because (most of the time) the button presses are more immediate.  With the RA lag I experience, quick one timers are off, as are finesse dekes.  On jrolling's side, he felt things were fine. (Though he is new, so maybe not acquainted with the nuances in feel, yet.)

Issue 2: Jumpy Players
When he hosted, with a Relay connection, it was unplayable for me.  On his end, he said it was fine again.  This time, even in menus, I could see it was off.  His movements were frenetic when choosing his team, and flickering all over.  When the puck dropped, my players were teleporting many pixels from where they should be, and jumping back again.  After 5 seconds I stopped the game and said we needed to troubleshoot.  Trouble(shoot) was, we are both new to RA, and had already had a heck of a time getting game 1 in, so we bailed.  I was exhausted, and near tears. (Ok, I exaggerate.)

NOTE: I understand I can use the "i" hotkey, to keep hosting, and have RA swap players 1 and 2, so he would be home even on my host, right?  I tried this, and the behavior was strange. (I feel like it booted me out of the ROM, but maybe I hit another key?)  My expectation was, at ROM menu where you choose teams, hit "i" and he would seamlessly be home, and I would seamlessly be visitor, no muss, no fuss.  Is my expectation wrong?

Thanks to any and all who can assist. :) (Probably "any and all" is poor Chaos.... *sigh*)

Edited by aqualizard

7 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

I have two issues, which I experienced with jrolling.

Issue 1: Delayed Buttons 
When I hosted, with a Direct connection, the timing was off. (This is almost always the case for me, with anyone, when I use RA.)  It felt on my end like I was playing someone in Finland.  There was a "constant lag", though it was uniform (no lag spikes).  We did get a game in successfully, but I prefer using GENs because (most of the time) the button presses are more immediate.  With the RA lag I experience, quick one timers are off, as are finesse dekes.  On jrolling's side, he felt things were fine. (Though he is new, so maybe not acquainted with the nuances in feel, yet.)

Issue 2: Jumpy Players
When he hosted, with a Relay connection, it was unplayable for me.  On his end, he said it was fine again.  This time, even in menus, I could see it was off.  His movements were frenetic when choosing his team, and flickering all over.  When the puck dropped, my players were teleporting many pixels from where they should be, and jumping back again.  After 5 seconds I stopped the game and said we needed to troubleshoot.  Trouble(shoot) was, we are both new to RA, and had already had a heck of a time getting game 1 in, so we bailed.  I was exhausted, and near tears. (Ok, I exaggerate.)

NOTE: I understand I can use the "i" hotkey, to keep hosting, and have RA swap players 1 and 2, so he would be home even on my host, right?  I tried this, and the behavior was strange. (I feel like it booted me out of the ROM, but maybe I hit another key?)  My expectation was, at ROM menu where you choose teams, hit "i" and he would seamlessly be home, and I would seamlessly be visitor, no muss, no fuss.  Is my expectation wrong?

Thanks to any and all who can assist. :) (Probably "any and all" is poor Chaos.... *sigh*)

I believe this has to do with frame rate on your side. I'm gathering more info about proper setup (differs from coach to coach depending on Windows, monitor, etc) and will post some tidbits within a day or so.

7 minutes ago, chaos said:

I believe this has to do with frame rate on your side. I'm gathering more info about proper setup (differs from coach to coach depending on Windows, monitor, etc) and will post some tidbits within a day or so.

Are you referring to issue #1, or #2?

Also, can you expand on the "i" hotkey to swap players? (How to use, expected behavior.)