NHL'94 Forums

[September 21-22, 2019 - Toronto] - KING of '94 - 4

halifax

9 hours ago, smozoma said:

We'll be doing a live stream at 11PM EST on facebook, with Halifax, KingRaph, BobKudelski, and myself

https://www.facebook.com/nhl94dotcom/

thanks again for putting the stream together!

On 5/19/2019 at 3:58 PM, kgman said:

Buying a house in philly lol ....why dont u just throw u money in the toilet and flush u might have chance of seeing it again!

Or, ya know, just leave it inĀ the back of a taxi...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, clockwise said:

JjEtPn4.png

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Waves eGaming helped us* set up some hotel deals with 3 hotels near the venue.

The details (and links for online booking)Ā are here:Ā https://ac.reg-system.com/Wave19Ā 

Here are the relative locations:

image.png

Ā 

Here's my basic analysis.Ā 

image.png

The "nearby" things are within walking distance, up to ~10 minutes.

I included the travel times to the venue (Waves) and the Hockey Hall of Fame (HHoF). I used the HHoF as a downtown destination. There's no big difference in travel times to downdown, but the Holiday Inn required more walking to get to transit.

I have no idea how nice the different hotels are (beds, showers, breakfast quality..). From the above info though:

• Four Points (currently Super 8) seems the simplest place - cheapest, closest, and the only one with a direct bus route to the venue. I assume it'll have a lot of new stuff due to the owner switchover.Ā 
  • No particular advantageĀ to the Holiday Inn?
  • Courtyard - price suggests it's a nicer hotel. It has better stuff nearby, but is farther from the venue as well as downtown.

Would be great to hear thoughts from people who are more experienced with travel/hotels.

I don't know if any of the places would have a suite for us to rent out for latenight exis.

Ā 

* by "us" I mean Halifax, he's done 99% of the work

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smozoma said:

I included the travel times to the venue (Waves) and the Hockey Hall of Fame (HHoF). I used the HHoF as a downtown destination. There's no big difference in travel times to downtown, but the Holiday Inn required more walking to get to transit.

Very handy, Smoz!

I live in Toronto.Ā  If I were going to this event from afar, I personally would stay downtown, and take the subway to the venue, then a short bus (or Uber) for the last 1.0km.Ā  This venue is amazing -- it is designed for eGaming!! -- and if that is all you are going to do, yes, get a hotel close by.Ā  But!! If you want to do any "Toronto" things, I would get a hotel downtown, and take Public transit.Ā  (The vibe near Waves eGaming is not a "city" vibe; it is kinda in the middle of nowhere IMO.)

I know last time around, a lot of guys stayed at the Doubletree on Chestnut St.Ā  That hotel is in a decent area to walk around and see downtown Toronto.Ā  It is also close to St.Patrick subway station, which literally is the same subway line that takes you to Pioneer Village station, which is 1km from Waves eGaming. (Mind you, the subway ride will probably be 40-60 minutes, but it is handy cuz there are no transfers.)

Edited by aqualizard

I checked out the double tree earlier, it was like $320/night. With the 2 day setup (3 nights), it adds up fast.

I was hoping there would be a place along the subway but kind of half way between the venue and downtown but couldn't find one right by a subway entrance.

I figure for people who would like to do downtown things they could get a hotel there for particular nights they'd like to downtown it up.

1 hour ago, clockwise said:

That looks like a pretty good deal

It's also really close to the subway line that goes to the venue

8 bedrooms, too.

3 nights = $5429

8 people -> $226/night
10 people -> $180/night

I'd be up for it. Party floor.

20 hours ago, smozoma said:

Waves eGaming helped us* set up some hotel deals with 3 hotels near the venue.

The details are here:Ā https://ac.reg-system.com/Wave19Ā (can currently book by phone, online booking available soon)

Here are the relative locations:

image.png

Ā 

Here's my basic analysis.Ā 

image.png

I included the travel times to the venue (Waves) and the Hockey Hall of Fame (HHoF). I used the HHoF as a downtown destination. There's no big difference in travel times to downtown, but the Holiday Inn required more walking to get to transit.

I have no idea how nice the different hotels are (beds, showers, breakfast quality..). From the above info though:

• Four Points (currently Super 8) seems the simplest place - cheapest, closest, and the only one with a direct bus route to the venue. I assume it'll have a lot of new stuff due to the owner switchover.Ā 
  • No particular advantageĀ to the Holiday Inn?
  • Courtyard - price suggests it's a nicer hotel. It has better stuff nearby, but is farther from the venue as well as downtown.

Would be great to hear thoughts from people who are more experienced with travel/hotels.

I don't know if any of the places would have a suite for us to rent out for late night exis.

Ā 

* by "us" I mean Halifax, he's done 99% of the work

This is really neat analysis. Thank you for doing that!Ā 

I'm probably gonna stay at the four points (super8).Ā 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, clockwise said:

Who's in on the suite? I wanna go first class. Jr. can always go to community college.Ā 

Ā 

I am very tempted, can't decide quite yet though. The 2 hours of commuting each day scares me off and makes me think a suite in the nearby hotel would be better value (just not as swanky)

Typical Blitzian overcomplicated plan: in for Thursday and Sunday nights if there's anĀ empty roomĀ that needs an occupant/payer.

So, we have @angryjay93Ā @IAmFleury'sHipCheckĀ confirmed. That's 3. Need at least 8, I'd think:

On 6/15/2019 at 11:28 PM, smozoma said:

That looks like a pretty good deal

It's also really close to the subway line that goes to the venue

8 bedrooms, too.

3 nights = $5429

8 people -> $226/night
10 people -> $180/nightļ»æ

I'd be up for it. Party floor.

I actually decided to drive up since it's already,Ā like, 3 hours to Philly INTL Airport from where I am in Pennsylvania, now. I'll be driving aĀ full size SUV if that helps with transport from the suite to the Wavesegaming.

The idea is awesome and I would've like to have done this but I'veĀ  decided to stay in a hotel close to the venue since I'll have to get up early on both saturday and sunday to make sure everything is set up and ready to go for the day.

Ā 

28 people have signed up for the weekend so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it has any effect on the reach or effectiveness of the event on facebook, but if you're on there, please consider marking yourself as "Going"!

https://www.facebook.com/events/469893243778541

The Vancouver event had 30 people marked as "going" and 74 as "interested." Toronto is currently at 20 "going" and 85 "interested"

Tried getting the group rate at the Courtyard-Marriot where you guys are staying, but reservations could not find "Andromeda or Wave" on their list. They currently only have King/sofa combos available for the weekend.

I've booked myself into the Monte Carlo (I booked through Hotwire - but I see the same price now on Expedia which offers free cancellation).

I'm arriving Friday afternoon, and will be ready for exis and 2v2. If there is a room, or small meeting room in either hotel where we can set-up - I'm happy to pitch in some money.

Ā 

Ā 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be atĀ Courtyard-Marriott, Toronto Vaughan.

It's not big pimpin, but it beats the Braidwood Inn.

3Rtxx1R.jpg

EDIT: Tried to speak w/ salesĀ to see what the rates are for event rooms but theĀ lady was out of the office.

I'm at the Hilton Garden Inn with CanadianDennis. I think that's where EA and AJ are too. They have a few 2-queen-bed rooms still available. Address isĀ 3201 Hwy 7, Concord, ON.

image.png

Are we going to be able to source a CRT to play some 2v2, or exis on Friday night. Last KO94-Toronto we had the full HDMI set-up, but I haven't heard if @chaos is even coming this year.

I have everything on an Everdrive as well, but need a 4-way play and enoughĀ controllers.

Also need to find a location - whether it's a hotel room, or a small meeting room in one of the hotels?Ā 

Maybe the party room at Dave & Busters?

Bringing:

• 4-way adapters for SNES and Genesis.Ā 
  • 10 extra, OEM controllers for Genesis and SNES
  • Mega Drive with Super Mega Drive & copy of NHL'94
  • Super Famicom and a Super Ever Drive & copy of NHL'94
  • SONY PVM '20 monitorĀ with RGB hookups

Also, any PB&J andĀ tuna sandwiches that would be needed courtesy of my gf's mom.Ā 

EDIT:

A neighbor down my streetĀ just left it out side by the curb:

IqDQM7F.jpg

1AjfjRE.jpg

Should I bring it? It'sĀ '30.