NHL'94 Forums

[April 13, 2019 - NYC, NY] - NYC Tourney at St. Pat's Bar & Grill

kingraph

nyc_tourney_poster_01a.jpg

REGISTRATION
https://www.nhl94.com/nyctourney/

DATE & TIME 
Saturday, April 13, 2019.  Registration starts at 10:00 a.m.  Tournament start at 11:00 am

COST:
$25 (moves to $30 in April)

22W 46th Street
New York, NY, 10036
https://stpatsbar.com

RULES & OTHER INFORMATION

• Sega Genesis Only
    • Original cartridges, systems and CRTs
  • 32 Person Cap
  • 5 Games guaranteed
  • Progressive Group Play
    • Win your game and play against another 1-0 person.  Lose and you play against another 0-1.  
    • Rounds progress each way such that play against someone with your same record
    • After 5 rounds, players seeded 17-32 will play a single game elimination game.  Winners make it to the best of 3 bracket play as a play-in round vs 9-16.  1-8 get a bye.
  • Bracket play - 24 seeds from group play.
    • Seeds are based on record, then GF - GA.
    • Single elimination, best of 3 each round
  • KO94 style rules
    • Coin flip winner chooses two teams for matchup
    • Coin flip loser selects which team he wants to use
    • No coin flip needed if two people play against each other again, just reverse previous winner/loser choice.

PRIZES

$250 for first place (plus trophy!)
$100 for 2nd place
$50 for 3rd place

* NHL'19 for PS4 and Xbox
* 2 Tickets to LI Retro Expo
* Canvas Wall Art
* 90's NHL Memorabilia!

STREAMING
We will announce when we go live: www.twitch.tv/kingraph

PLAYERS

01. Evan E.@Evan )(organizer)
02. John G.@chaos ) (organizer)
03. Scott S.@MikeGartner22 ) (organizer)
04. Raphael F.@kingraph ) (organizer)
05. Kevin B.@corbettkb )
06. Eric K. ( @eggink444 )
07. Scott E.
08. Josh K.
09. Nick D. 
10. Brian R. ( @Bad Moon Rison )
11. Matt P.
12. Ron D.
13. Matt M.
14. Paul C.

15. Chris O.
16. John K. ( @kuefner )
17. Matt H.

18. Brad B. ( @da94wookiee )
19. John S.
20. Bill M. ( @CoachMac )
21. Colton Orr
22. Matt A.
23. Aaron R ( @Sdogg )
24. Kyle W. ( @kylewat / Zeppelin55) 
25. Paul L ( @Lupz27 ) 
26. Tom E. ( @aepurniet )

27. John S.
28. Eric M.
29. Chris B.
30. Naeem K. ( @skoolyardpuck )
31. Robin A. ( @crazygoalie33 )
32. Eric V ( @IAmFleury'sHipCheck)

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

:big_smile::D:haha:

I am looking at tickets now!

Coach, that'd be awesome if you're able to make it.

1 hour ago, Evan said:

Coach, that'd be awesome if you're able to make it.

51 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Agreed!  We will cap registration at 31 until I hear from Coach either way!

:red_heart:Thanks Guys!

I really would love to make this.

Probably about 60-40 yes right now.
I will have a decision by early next week!

Looks awesome Great Job organizing this!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

:red_heart:Thanks Guys!

I really would love to make this.

Probably about 60-40 yes right now.
I will have a decision by early next week!

Looks awesome Great Job organizing this!

Hope you can make it Coach! Would be awesome!

• Like 1

A little less than a week into our announcement and we have 21 registered/verbal commitments so far.  11 spots remaining assuming nobody bails (I am sure someone will).  We still have over two months to promote, so I am hopeful that we will find 11 more buds to play by April. 

I suggest if you or your friends are thinking about coming to NYC to play but unsure if you can, register now.  If we get to 32, you'll be notified to pay or release your spot to the next registered player.

Untitled.png

On 1/30/2019 at 12:57 PM, kingraph said:

A little less than a week into our announcement and we have 21 registered/verbal commitments so far.  11 spots remaining assuming nobody bails (I am sure someone will).  We still have over two months to promote, so I am hopeful that we will find 11 more buds to play by April. 

I suggest if you or your friends are thinking about coming to NYC to play but unsure if you can, register now.  If we get to 32, you'll be notified to pay or release your spot to the next registered player.

Untitled.png

My flight is booked!:big_smile:

• Like 3

Don La Greca has showed interest in attending this morning.  In addition to being a local NY radio and TV host for NY teams (check out his wiki in the link), he is the ESPN office NHL'94 champion!  We are holding his spot for #32.  Those who registered, but haven't paid will be notified soon, but we are close to being capped and starting a waitlist.

IMG-20190212-WA0000.jpg

And here is the full promo poster with Colton Orr (used with his permission!)

orr_promo.png

32 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

That's really great that you got a well-known and recent NHLer to embrace the tourney.

Do you think he will also be at KO94 in NYC?

He went to the LI tournament and is going to this one, so I'd give this a good shot!

I was telling @kingraph that I might swing by and hang with y'all on the day of the event.  I live in Central Jersey and usually make it up to the city once or twice a month.  I told him that I'll likely not compete as my skills are a bit rusty and there are a lot of '94 legends playing.  Plus, I still need to check if I indeed can swing by that day.  If so, I may have my wife with me as I promised her a NYC date once the weather got better.  But, she's mad cool and loves hockey.  Sadly, I may have to (finally) take her to Del Friscos NYC as she is dying to go.  There goes a ton of money - lol.
So, anywho, we may just hang for some drinks, introductions and watch you each battle it out for a bit.  It will be fun to watch (and perhaps, scout) the guys playing this game that we love.  Plus, it would be cool to put some names/faces together.

If I can make it out there, I will let everyone know via this thread.  If so, I look forward to meeting you!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Sauce said:

I was telling @kingraph that I might swing by and hang with y'all on the day of the event.  I live in Central Jersey and usually make it up to the city once or twice a month.  I told him that I'll likely not compete as my skills are a bit rusty and there are a lot of '94 legends playing.  Plus, I still need to check if I indeed can swing by that day.  If so, I may have my wife with me as I promised her a NYC date once the weather got better.  But, she's mad cool and loves hockey.  Sadly, I may have to (finally) take her to Del Friscos NYC as she is dying to go.  There goes a ton of money - lol.
So, anywho, we may just hang for some drinks, introductions and watch you each battle it out for a bit.  It will be fun to watch (and perhaps, scout) the guys playing this game that we love.  Plus, it would be cool to put some names/faces together.

If I can make it out there, I will let everyone know via this thread.  If so, I look forward to meeting you!

Awesome, hope you can make it!  We'll try to get a station set up with an Mega Everdrive to show off your ROMs if we can!

If you do end up making the trip and going to Del Friscos, I would kindly suggest that you try the Pineapple Infused Vodka Martini.  It's one of the more memorable drinks I've ever had in my life.  I tried to replicate it, but didn't quite get it right (wasted a bottle of vodka too, :( ) .  

13 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Awesome, hope you can make it!  We'll try to get a station set up with an Mega Everdrive to show off your ROMs if we can!

If you do end up making the trip and going to Del Friscos, I would kindly suggest that you try the Pineapple Infused Vodka Martini.  It's one of the more memorable drinks I've ever had in my life.  I tried to replicate it, but didn't quite get it right (wasted a bottle of vodka too, :( ) .  

Good tip on Del Friscos.  I’ll keep it in mind.  I like Pineapple. Vodka is my poison although I’ve recenty become a Manhattan guy with some Makers Mark.  Anywho...

I’ve only been to DF once.  Had a $70 steak that was awesome!  They have some $100 one that can be shared that my friends recommended so who knows.  My wife hasn’t been.  She’s heard my buddies and their wives rave about it so she wants in.  We don’t dine out a lot so this might be fun even if we end up broke at the end of the night.  Lol

Edited by The Sauce

I am crying happy tears as @Lupz27 and @IceStorm70 are fully registered to play!  This means in addition to some very high level '94 play, there will be lots of 2v2 after the tournament!

Also, recent Classic participants @aepurniet and @kuefner have also registered!  Looking forward to meeting you fine gentlemen (unless we've met before, in which I am dumb).

As of this post we have reached our cap of 32, though we are holding a few spots for some special guests. 

People can still register for the waitlist or to just keep up on the tournament details via e-mail.  Anyone can attend to be part of the crowd. 

nyc_tourney_poster_04_jr_sm_soldout.png

Very excited about this event and we (all the organizers) are working hard to make sure it's gonna be great.  Stay tuned!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Hey i signed up and am definitely rusty....havent played in probably 15 yrs... but i was good in high school and college... anyone in nyc that is looking for some pre tournament warm up games im down....i dont have a sega and could use some tuning up 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JSchmidt said:

Hey i signed up and am definitely rusty....havent played in probably 15 yrs... but i was good in high school and college... anyone in nyc that is looking for some pre tournament warm up games im down....i dont have a sega and could use some tuning up 

Maybe we'll have a meet up one night for some exhibition games!  Keep an eye out.  Will e-mail and post here if so!

Our good buds at the Long Island Retro Gaming Expo have donated two admission tickets that we will raffle off during the event.  Awesome!  

Side note, we also host a tournament there for the last 3 years.  2019 will be our 4th year in a row, more to come on that later.

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/forum/246-long-island-retro-expo-nhl94-tournament/

NYC_liretro_promo.gif

• Like 1