NHL'94 Forums

[April 13, 2019 - NYC, NY] - NYC Tourney at St. Pat's Bar & Grill

kingraph

Good news/bad news

The bad news first -- unfortunately @IceStorm70 now has a work conflict and will not be able to attend the tournament.  Gotta pay the bills first!

The good news -- @IAmFleury'sHipCheck a.k.a EA WILL be attending the tournament as his paying job will conveniently place him in NYC next week!  Yay!

We are coming closer to the actual tournament day, can't wait, I'm excited.  This week I'll post a more about the structure, prizes and such.  

Also, if you're in the NYC area and enjoy doing broadcast commentary, feel free to join us!  I'll be participating in the tournament and our resident celebrity broadcaster Arda Ocal (Emmy nominated!) will be in Milwaukee for another retro event.  Soooooo, open mic! :lol:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kingraph said:

Good news/bad news

The bad news first -- unfortunately @IceStorm70 now has a work conflict and will not be able to attend the tournament.  Gotta pay the bills first!

The good news -- @IAmFleury'sHipCheck a.k.a EA WILL be attending the tournament as his paying job will conveniently place him in NYC next week!  Yay!

We are coming closer to the actual tournament day, can't wait, I'm excited.  This week I'll post a more about the structure, prizes and such.  

Also, if you're in the NYC area and enjoy doing broadcast commentary, feel free to join us!  I'll be participating in the tournament and our resident celebrity broadcaster Arda Ocal (Emmy nominated!) will be in Milwaukee for another retro event.  Soooooo, open mic! :lol:

I would love to do open mic commentary but, unfortortunately, I swear wayyyyyyyyyy too much!  

Still, I'm 95% sure that I will be stopping by, for a bit, to say hello.

@kingraph Do you know if the bar is within walking distance from Penn Station?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kingraph said:

Good news/bad news

Awesome that EA @IAmFleury'sHipCheck is going to be there!

Thanks for putting this on @kingraph

quote-it-s-a-big-change-for-a-country-boy-like-me-to-be-in-the-limelight-in-new-york-city-brandon-jacobs-138-29-92.jpg

• Like 1

What an excellent lineup

I see skool will be there, too

sdogg?? has he been to live tournies before?

gonna have to set the day aside to watch the stream

2 hours ago, The Sauce said:

I would love to do open mic commentary but, unfortortunately, I swear wayyyyyyyyyy too much!  

Still, I'm 95% sure that I will be stopping by, for a bit, to say hello.

@kingraph Do you know if the bar is within walking distance from Penn Station?

Penn Station is 34th and 8th, the bar is 46th and 6th, so it's a bit of a hike (1 mile), but doable depending on your walking preference.

Untitled.png

We can also put a rated "R" disclaimer if you do commentary, lol.  Better than nothing, I find commentators make livestreams more enjoyable.  I also think a lot of people will be happy to chip in when they're not playing.

25 minutes ago, smozoma said:

What an excellent lineup

I see skool will be there, too

sdogg?? has he been to live tournies before?

gonna have to set the day aside to watch the stream

I actually met @Sdogg when we did a small tournament in Berlin, CT during the initial filming of Pixelated Heroes.  @angryjay93, @chaos, @eggink444 were there too.  I don't recall if he went to the Retro Expo in Hartford though.  And yes, @skoolyardpuck is attending!  Forgot to mention that here, was pumped to see that.  Unfortunately AJ had a conflict, but otherwise was planning to be here too.  I am hoping this gets everyone excited for KO94 just a few months after!

1 hour ago, kingraph said:

Penn Station is 34th and 8th, the bar is 46th and 6th, so it's a bit of a hike (1 mile), but doable depending on your walking preference.

Untitled.png

It's a hike but a do-able one.  No worries.  Thanks for the info!

Penn to the venue is about a 20 minute walk. Not terrible. The subway from Herald Square can take you to Rockefeller center but it isn’t worth the $2.75 to go 2 stops imo unless it’s raining. 

Edited by MikeGartner22

5 minutes ago, MikeGartner22 said:

Penn to the venue is about a 20 minute walk. Not terrible. The subway from Herald Square can take you to Rockefeller center but it isn’t worth the $2.75 to go 2 stops imo unless it’s raining. 

Cool.  20 mins isn't a deal breaker for me.  It's only a little longer of a distance then walking from Penn Station to the NHL store which, I will likely be doing anyway and have done many times before.  My wife and I like to walk around the city so I'm sorta used to it.  Weather was really why I originaly asked, just to have an idea...  It's all good!

Hey just one question. Will you guys be using the 3 button controller or the 6 button one? I always use the 6 button controller but if you're using the original 3 button one, I'll have to dig it out of my closet and practice with that.

12 hours ago, superfan99 said:

Hey just one question. Will you guys be using the 3 button controller or the 6 button one? I always use the 6 button controller but if you're using the original 3 button one, I'll have to dig it out of my closet and practice with that.

We'll have both, and you are free to bring your own if you have one that feels right!  Just put a piece of tape or something with your name on the back to make sure you can keep track.  

56 minutes ago, JSchmidt said:

I need a tune up game.....if anyone wants to play a few before the tournament and lives in manhattan and has a sega....

I think there are a few manhattan guys on here, but also if you hop on our live chat (https://discord.gg/PejYyC) someone can set you up for online play, and you can keep up on tourney chat 

(you can dismiss the "claim this username" dialog if you don't want to register, you can still chat without registering. might need the Discord app on your phone)

Quick update on prizes:

1st Place - $250 & Trophy

trophy.png

2nd Place - $100
3rd Place - $50

Prizes!

Copies of NHL'19 (donated by EA Sports)

nhl19.png

2 Entry Tickets to the Long Island Retro Gaming Expo (donated by the awesome buds at LI Retro Expo!)

Wall art!

canvas.png

canvas2.png

Plus other goodies!

Kudos and great job to @Evan @chaos @MikeGartner22 & @kingraph for organizing this great NYC tourney!  This was my first NHL94 event and it was great meeting folks who now have a face (and real name) to go with their screen name.  It was a good turn out today and everyone was having fun.  For me, as primarily a spectator, it was fun talking custom roms and settings with @CoachMac.   I'm sorry that I couldn't stay longer but I owed my wife a day in the city.

I did get a couple of exis in so next time, I'll be brave enough to jump into a tourney when it's near home again.  I was impressed by how respectful everyone is when playing exis as well as bracket play.  There was a lot of good sportsmanship.

Anywho... Congrats to Raph on another big win and congrats on great event!

Cheers!

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Thanks guys it was a lot of fun. This was my first tourney so it was cool to see all the different styles of play each player has. I got lucky to make it to the final 8. Won a game in OT against Chaos with L.A. after he stormed back. Also lucky against DaWookie, he definitely would have tied up the game we had but Roenick was knocked out of the game with less than a minute left which would deflate anyone. Before that he was storming back. Finally got beat by Zepp but I hung in there with him both games until the end. Felt good about that since he is definitely one of the top players. I was down 1 the 2nd game with less than a minute left when the refs decided to put my entire team in the penalty box LOL but even if I somehow tied it I feel he would have beaten me for sure in OT. He outplayed me both games for sure. I tried to make a pass 5 seconds into the game right up the middle to Bure but Zepp picked it off and scored right out of the gate. You can't make mistakes like that against players of that caliber! Thanks again guys! Cool to meet everyone.

• Like 3

I just wanted to echo the sentiments expressed by others that this was a tip-top tournament and a good time. Thanks Evan, John, Raph, and Scott for the work they did on making it a fun day. The raffle prizes were great and I am happy to be going home with at least one prize. :)

The late games were very exciitng and I'm glad I stuck around! Congrats to Raph on winning it all. It was a lot of fun to talk strategy with the different teams with everyone. That's just as much fun as playing the games themselves. Got to get a few practice games in, too, with Robin and Brian. All-in-all, a good day of fun.

As for my games, I'm pretty new to playing 94 competitively and haven't played Genesis much outside of the tournaments at the LI Retro Expo, so this was definitely a rude awakening to the level that most guys play. I went 2-3 in the early games, with my two wins coming by forfeit. I lost my first matchup to Paul, a close 4-3 contest (TOR vs NYR), who made me sweat a lot. My next contest was against Brad, who beat me pretty handily 5-1 with WPG (I was CGY) and thankfully he told me he's won a couple of tournies, so I didn't feel too bad about my effort. The last game was against Scott S., who beat me 3-2 with NYI vs. NJD, a game which we both described as a slog (definitely felt slow after the WPG/CGY game).  All three guys were stand-up guys and a blast to play against. I hope to see them at a few more.

I needed a play-in game to advance and drew George from LI Retro Expo, who I've known for a few years and lets us host Tecmo at the expo.  It was good to finally play against him competitively after all he's done for the NY Retro community. It was all PA matchup and I was happy to have my Pens win against Philly 4-1.  Then I got to play Aaron in the Best 2-out-of-3 bracket.  Well, that was certainly an eye-opener. He called HFD vs WAS and I took the Capitals. Little did I know he likes to use the Whalers and I got down 4-0 right away.  I didn't know there was a mercy rule in the bracket. Tack on a couple of slapshots from the blue line that went in and I lost 9-0.  For game 2, I knew I had to get defensive. I called PIT vs. EDM and thankfully using PIT just a couple of games ago, I was able to come away with a 2-1 victory.  Game 3, Aaron called HFD/WAS again (!) and knew there was no way that I should give him the Whalers again. Game was tied at 1 late when Geoff Sanderson got his own rebound and lightly flicked it in the net for the go-ahead goal and the game winner. Aaron was a good sport about it (especially about me muttering loudly at the first game) and I knew that either of our roads were likely going to end in the next round vs. Raph. I was able to get about 1.5 periods in for both games before the mercy rule took effect, but I am happy that I got as far as I did given the high level of competition on display yesterday. I hope to be just a little bit better by the next one.

See y'all at the LI Retro Expo and hopefully many more!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kylewat said:

@superfan99 you had a knowledge of the game I found utterly surprising! I don’t know how he amassed this knowledge but he had lots of tricks up his sleeve. He even did the @IceStorm70/ @HABS special cross crease pass shot.

Hey man thanks so much for the kind words. Some of the moves I learned just by watching some vids on youtube from members who post their games on there, and others I just kinda did on my own, but then later I found out other people came up with the same moves I was doing too. It was so much fun to be with so many top level players in the same room together. Maybe I'll join the online league but I have WIFI which might be a problem. I'll see if I can get a direct connection going instead. I think the best part about going to this was how cool and easy to talk to everyone was. Loved the entire setup with the CRT TV's everywhere. And playing the 2 on 2 hack afterwards was really fun. Good stuff.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words, it was a pleasure to run this and of course play in as well.  There was certainly plenty of ‘94 talent present which makes all the games tougher.  This was also the most prizes/swag we’ve ever had at a tournament so glad most went home with something.  

We did notice a lot of similar matchups being picked throughout the day with our new team rating/tier sheets but seemed to keep matchups fair. 

Congrats to Raph on a well deserved championship!  He was locked in.

Included a few pictures below though realized we never got a full group shot. 

Thanks to all who helped and participated!

-Evan

C208777D-FB2A-4804-8C5E-2A65D11718E2.jpeg

F51F5D78-523C-4610-91D2-0FB8565EF94C.jpeg

71FD670D-56CE-44FC-8E82-714B43D1E4D9.jpeg

DB8C9B1D-0CD4-45B5-BC85-DF4F648ADC2F.jpeg

7A8F82BE-AC9F-4146-8632-B3F495BA6E8A.jpeg

• Like 3

Round Robin Results - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSLtsA5SPXzZzFy9dg9PtKTIbu-zrv4dwRGPBHFmgypWYByqksceO-G3rWzkW76lElde1G-DFmleuAL/pubhtml#

It looks better in the sheet than published, but you should be able to follow.  

I did not fully think through the "bye" situation for no-shows as it deals with Goals For and Goals against.  We used GF-GA as the tiebreaker within same records.  So for those who got a bye victory (myself included), it was 1-0 and just a 1 goal victory.  The round robin format was really set for 32, so I'll noodle on that some more for the future.  

I also have most of the score sheets with the team data.  I'll try to add that sometime this week for analysis purposes.  Same for the bracket play.  I didn't initially build it into the model as it's overwhelming to track if you don't have dedicated admin people.  All the organizers were also participating.

More thoughts to come, but wanted to post this first.  

• Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 1:38 PM, superfan99 said:

I was down 1 the 2nd game with less than a minute left when the refs decided to put my entire team in the penalty box LOL but even if I somehow tied it I feel he would have beaten me for sure in OT. 

I think I heard this on the stream, "4 players in the box!" ?

Great to see new (to me) names doing well.

Watched the whole stream (had to watch part the next day), good announcing by all the various people.

I'll get the results into the rankings when I can. @kingraph:

• forum names for the rankings.. john smith  = superfan99? any others I may not know?
  • Scott S (not MikeGartner) is Scott Stueve from previous tourneys? "Scott Stueve    Prior Lake, MN, USA    926"
  • any hometowns/states you can tell me will help, otherwise i'll just put "NY" as where they're from

1 minute ago, smozoma said:

I think I heard this on the stream, "4 players in the box!" ?

Great to see new (to me) names doing well.

Watched the whole stream (had to watch part the next day), good announcing by all the various people.

I'll get the results into the rankings when I can. @kingraph:

• forum names for the rankings.. john smith  = superfan99? any others I may not know?
  • Scott S (not MikeGartner) is Scott Stueve from previous tourneys? "Scott Stueve    Prior Lake, MN, USA    926"
  • any hometowns/states you can tell me will help, otherwise i'll just put "NY" as where they're from

I think I had all other forum names listed on the results except superfan99.  Also, I updated the teams from all the sheets I had and have a bunch missing (including all of my own, ugh).  If you see teams missing and you remember the game, let me know!