NHL'94 Forums

Work League + Point Allocation System

Hey Guys, First time poster:lol:

At work we have a 12 man NHL94 Hockey League we're coming up to our 3rd season. There's some disgruntlement about team disparity throughout the league and we're playing with the idea of everyone being able to customize their own player stats based on an equal allocation system in the hope to make everything fair but still diverse in how they divvy out their points.

I haven't messed around with editing players yet, but does anyone have any recommendations on how to handle this? Is every individual stat point worth the same, or is the difference between 4-5 and 5-6 drastic? Give each team 'X' amount of points and let them do whatever they want? I feel like it should be more like old school RPG games where the more points you have in a stat the more expensive it becomes.

Alternatively I could just make 4-5 different styles of teams and just let them choose if they want to be any of the 5 pre-made styles of teams (that are all as equal as I can make it)

Any insight? 

(We also recorded all our playoffs and are making a high-light reel if anyone's interested, lol)

Thanks!

• Like 3

12 players! That's amazing. Where are you guys located?

This might be useful, especially the part about player ratings: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13375-nhl94-team-rankings/

You might want to make 1 speed point cost more than 1 passing point, for example.. because the most sensible thing to do is make all your guys as fast as possible (the VAN/DAL strategy)

Player attribute ratings go from 0-6 (0=25... 3=64, 4= 72, 5=90, 6=108 (truncated to 99 in the game))

The effect of a point is basically linear. 4 speed is as much faster than 3 speed, as 5 speed is faster than 4 speed (although 4->5 is a smaller percentage increase than 3->4). How it works for shot accuracy, awaresnesses, stick handling, i'm not sure. Apparently 5 stick-handling has a really important effect (makes it much harder to knock the guy over).

As a simpler solution, and to keep games more competitive, you could just make it so players who finish higher one season get to choose their team later next season. That way the best player can't take CHI, DET, etc, unless no one else does.

• Like 1

I have mentally grappled with this for a while.  I definitely think certain attributes like shot power , agility, and stick handling matter more and I'd argue that the jump from 4-5 is huge.  Not just mathematical numerical ratings, but the effect it has on the game.  It's why 5 and 6 ratings are rare.  

I'd suggest doing a draft league instead of custom players.  It's wildly addictive and you don't have to create a formula for all the attribute values. 

• Like 2

Just my opinion here, I'd say give each team a budget (which you can decide on) And give each attribute an exponential upcharge... So like, they all start at 1 and it's $1 for each upgrade, but that price increases for every upgrade after the first, like this:
x2 Agility: Free (1) - $1 (2) - $2 (3) - $4 (4) - $8 (5) - $16 (6)
x3 Speed: Free (1) - $1 (2) - $3 (3) - $9 (4) - $27 (5) - $81 (6)
And so on... obviously it would be tough and take some experimenting to set up a budget that makes it fair, and maybe it would make more sense to do percentages instead of exponents, but that's how I would personally do it. I'd be happy to work with you on it if you'd like, but sounds like a cool idea! Good luck with it!

Edited by KTup710

That's some amazing advice, thanks for the responses everyone

We're located out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We had 8 players first season, 12 in the second... maybe some more in the 3rd depending. We're a small company and pretty much 70% of the people area already playing, lol.

Thanks for the feedback on the scaling for the points, that was my number 1 concern. I'd like people to be able to make a pretty average well rounded team, or sink much more of their 'point investment' to get some 5s or even 6s in the mix.

The team draft isn't working out well, lots of people not happy with being stuck with the same team throughout the league. If I can somehow figure this out and make a nice excel sheet with formulas to help them select their points without going over their limit would be worth tit. Our leagues take a good 3-4 months to finish and they're really fun for us, and we can use it for all the leagues to come.

@KTup710 that's super helpful and I think that's the way i'll do it. It's also fun to make it currency instead of points.. I could even give the guys who didn't make the playoffs last season more money? Kind of a reverse handicap? Oh man... so many choices

So I think i'll identify point multipliers for each stat that matters, and maybe just average out the ones that don't matter so people only have to play around with important stats. To use KTup's example, agility would be 2x and speed would be 3x. I like that, probably use decimal places to make it more controlled. Some might even be below 1.0 depending on what I feel is proper.

I can make this in an excel sheet so everything gets added up for them and they just plop numbers in to their hearts content until they meet their quota.

Definitely need a few practice sessions to get this refined enough. I'll share my findings when I investigate more.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Raph's player draft idea  might be easier for the first time through.

I wonder if there's a way to make a "market" for attribute points. Instead of assigning them arbitrary values, you can buy or sell them, and that affects the price...

Weight is a bit of a wildcard. It used to be that lighter was wholly better, but that's not as clear anymore. Really light is good at any position, but a heavy D can also be good. A middleweight D is maybe not useful anymore (all else being equal)?

The player creation / point allocation idea has too many challenges IMO.

You should just draft existing players. It would be easier and more fun.

Another option would be Kingof94 rules. i.e. one player picks the teams and the other guy picks which one he plays with.

6 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

The player creation / point allocation idea has too many challenges IMO.

You should just draft existing players. It would be easier and more fun.

Another option would be Kingof94 rules. i.e. one player picks the teams and the other guy picks which one he plays with.

I love the KingOf94 format, and it's also pretty simple. I agree that you should shoot for something simple on your first try and experiment later, so I'd stick to what has worked in the past. It's up to you though, have fun with it and play around with stuff, you might discover a system that really works!

The player draft might be the way to go. If this doesn't work out for me that'll be the fall back plan ...  but... i have a secret pleasure  for complicated point allocation systems ever since I made my own warhammer / dnd rules as a kid

Thanks again everybody, i'll provide updates as I go

5 hours ago, budddean said:

The player draft might be the way to go. If this doesn't work out for me that'll be the fall back plan ...  but... i have a secret pleasure  for complicated point allocation systems ever since I made my own warhammer / dnd rules as a kid

Thanks again everybody, i'll provide updates as I go

Good luck! Interested to see how it turns out

• 2 weeks later...