NHL'94 Forums

Super classic league

If there’s enough interest (8 min- 13 max) I will run a super classic genesis league. Why is it super?  The format is little different and is intended to be all encompassing of teams and players. 

Rules: offsides off, line changes on, period length 10 min (unless someone is generous enough to tweak a classic rom to 7 or 8 minute periods.

super classic lineup rule: only centers can play center as determined by default lineups. I will elaborate on this later but at a high level, guys like bure, mogilny, and selanne are ineligible to play center. Anyone is free to move a center to wing so long as they are replaced by another center . Exceptions to this rule will be made for newer players and bottom tier expansion teams. 

Team selection:

everyone will draft a team in pairs. You will receive 1 West team and 1 east team at once. TB will play in the west as they  did in 1993. Draft order will be in inverse order of online experience. There are no team trades. The pairings are in reciprocal order. For example Detroit and Florida will be drafted together as will Montreal and Anaheim. I picked AJ’s brain on a line change conference ranking and this is what was decided on:

Det Fla 

Cgy ott 

Van NYI

LA HFD

Chi Pit 

Wpg NJ 

Dal Phi 

Tor  WSH

Edm NYR

Stl   Buf 

TB. Que

SJ   Bos 

ANH Mtl

Season play: 

each team will play 24 intra conference games (1H 1A) so each coach will play 48 games total. Assuming we get max participation, playoffs will be 1-8 with playoff qualification based on games played, then points. Ie someone who is 0-24 will make the playoffs over someone who is 15-2. The moral of the story is to play your games. 

Start date: TBD based on interest. 

The intent of this league is to change things up and deviate from humdrum draft and classic leagues. I’d like to think this league presents new challenges and more strategy vs other league configurations. 

Please respond  here if you’re interested/ have any questions and we’ll go from there.

Thanks guys. 

Edited by MikeGartner22

I’d be totally in for this @MikeGartner22. I’ve been hinting at a more “sim” style league while still keeping the fun of the game off and on around here. I hope you get the numbers you need to get it going.  Ima a big SIM guy as I love passing, set ups, and plain ol Hockey strategy.

A lot less run n’ gun goalie dump off quick shot save to streaking speedy player up the middle goals hopefully:P

chef

If you need numbers, I'm willing to play it out. But 10 min periods is a stretch for me too. I get it though, if you want to force people to use the other lines - 5min periods is not enough.

Maybe shorten the schedule to H/A within your division, and alternate H/A with inter-divisional games?

Edited by jer_33

14 hours ago, jer_33 said:

If you need numbers, I'm willing to play it out. But 10 min periods is a stretch for me too. I get it though, if you want to force people to use the other lines - 5min periods is not enough.

Maybe shorten the schedule to H/A within your division, and alternate H/A with inter-divisional games?

Maybe you guys could do 7 min periods?