NHL'94 Forums

Is MLH possible to mod/hack?

I figure I would ask this question because some have often claimed that Mutant league hockey uses the NHL94 engine. You think with all the hacking and modding being done with NHL 94 and nhlpa 93 roms all these years. You think someone would take a stab at hacking a rom of mutant league hockey and see how crazy and bonkers how they would make the game.

Of course I could see the closest possibility of someone hacking NHL 94 or even NHLPA 93 to have the MLH look, from the splash intro, main menu, certain parts of the ice rank arena, to character profile presentation, maybe make the AI of your team and opposing team play a little more violent, player sprite edits could also be a challenge but giving them the team colors based on the MLH teams would be close enough. But yes, I know with how hacking you can give NHL 94 you can not program the game to have landmines on the ice or even weapons that get thrown on the ice for the players to do damage to eachother either. Mostly the case between both NHL94/nhlpa 93 and MLH might tend to have programming and coding differences despite MLH used the NHL94 engine for its game, so yeah you can't add most charm and elements of Mutant league hockey to NHL 94.

I would like a CPU vs Cpu demo game mode being added to the MLH game. Don't get me wrong, I know its arcadey and I get just about the same CPU game option with certain NHL94 hacks like 77's toughguys mod and the Et Tu brute rom that have the slapshot teams the Charlestown Chiefs and the Syracuse Bulldogs in them, those were fun roms, but you can't deny that it does lack a violent presentation or crazy things the MLH has to offer in its gameplay. And also fix the opposing teams red and white team color so they can play in their respective team color and battle the home team also in their team colors on the ice, but that's just me.

What do you guys think? 

Edited by bushhockeyfan

Funny, I just started a hack to see if I can bring in a MLH rink and crowd to '94.  It's definitely possible, just takes time.  The crowd size is larger in MHL than '94, and the crowd moves in '94 and doesn't in MLH.  Also, the crowd in '94 is the same color, but MLH changes based on the home team palette.  The away team is always the same color!  

Sorry, just spitting out things that I have uncovered as I started this hack, I will likely start a thread on the whole thing and progress.  

Hacking sprites requires TONS of time.  If you think about it, you have to redraw every single tile of every animation for every situation.  There are hundreds (thousands?) and it's not laid out cleanly. 

As far as hacking the MLH game, not sure there is enough interest or need.  I think all the animations in the game is what causes that framerate to suffer and while it may have the same "engine", it plays completely different. 

I'll be happy to post whatever I found in MLH for others to use in the future.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kingraph said:

Funny, I just started a hack to see if I can bring in a MLH rink and crowd to '94.  It's definitely possible, just takes time.  The crowd size is larger in MHL than '94, and the crowd moves in '94 and doesn't in MLH.  Also, the crowd in '94 is the same color, but MLH changes based on the home team palette.  The away team is always the same color!  

I know, that's my unpopular opinion, the away team is always red and gray, ironically a slapshot NHL 94 rom by coach mac allowed both the Chiefs and Bulldogs to play in their primary team colors and the unreleased released amiga port of MLH also allow both teams to have their own team colors rather than the away team being red and grey like in the sega game.

uniforms.png

21 hours ago, kingraph said:

Sorry, just spitting out things that I have uncovered as I started this hack, I will likely start a thread on the whole thing and progress.  

It's okay, Kingraph and I wish you best of luck on your attempt to mutate the nhl 94 into the MLH. I might want to try it when you make the rom operational.

Hacking sprites requires TONS of time.  If you think about it, you have to redraw every single tile of every animation for every situation.  There are hundreds (thousands?) and it's not laid out cleanly. 

Oh, i do understand that too, Kingraph. if you look at any nhl 94 modded or hacked rom that's been given a new presentation via new sprites, menu, and arena overhaul makeover, roms such as TheTome  NHL 94 Ball Hockey Challenge and PeteC 6 aside soccer are 2 shining examples of this I can think of that puts a lot of hard work in changing the presentation of the game and sprites out of any NHL 94 modded roms in this community another non-nhl 94 example would be the mutant league football rom done for Tecmo super bowl. Sure you can't change up the hockey player models to be a robots, a undead skeletons or trolls out of MLH or try to have the skin of the player match with the uniform color, but I just don't think that would be necessary.

As far as hacking the MLH game, not sure there is enough interest or need.  I think all the animations in the game is what causes that framerate to suffer and while it may have the same "engine", it plays completely different

It pretty much does, as I said before,  NHL94/nhlpa 93 and MLH might tend to have programming and coding differences. still, no denying that they both work off the same engine.

I easily did both teams in primary colors using NOSE.

I have also done it in some Original 6 Roms.  It does look cool, but what I did was simple.

What you are asking for is much more work and complex.

All I did was change the uniforms in NOSE and make sure that I had no conflicts.  Red vs Red for example.

3 hours ago, CoachMac said:

I easily did both teams in primary colors using NOSE.

I have also done it in some Original 6 Roms.  It does look cool, but what I did was simple.

What you are asking for is much more work and complex.

All I did was change the uniforms in NOSE and make sure that I had no conflicts.  Red vs Red for example.

Well, you did such service contributing to the modding community, Coach Mac. I praise you that.

Also To modify a game like MHL that seems to use the NHL engine to add 1 thing and fix 1 thing? I'm simply asking if the impossible could be possible, no need to have your winter cap strings crossed in a knot. Plus kingraph said he is attempting to make an NHL 94 hacked rom based around Mutant league hockey and succeed or fail, I am supporting him on the project.

Edited by bushhockeyfan