NHL'94 Forums

"Road to the Cup Hockey" '94 - article about unreleased game

A few years ago, a few forum members talked about an unreleased hockey video game called Road to the Cup Hockey '94.

This inspired me to seek out two of the game's programmers and find out what could have been:

http://puckjunk.com/2019/03/28/road-to-the-cup-hockey-94-an-unreleased-hockey-video-game/

The game was being developed by Park Place Productions, who handled development of NHL Hockey and NHLPA Hockey '93, and was even intended to look and feel like the "NHL" game series.

Anyway, I hope you find this article about "NHL '94's long-lost cousin" interesting and informative.  

Sal 

• Like 4

“Normally, when a developer does a game for a publisher, there’s some sort of exclusivity,” said Stein. “But Park Place, coming up from Madden and NHL fame, basically negotiated the rights to keep the source code and the ability to reuse it.”

Any chance that code is still around somewhere? :exciting:

• Like 2

This was great, thanks for writing and sharing! 

The discussion about developers crunching away to finish a game reminded me of a great book called Blood, Sweat, and Pixels by  Jason Schreier.  For anyone interested in taking a peek inside the world of video game development, that book is a page-turner!  Each chapter chronicles a different game development in different eras.   Road to the Cup sounds exactly the same! 

Also, would love if the source code was ever released or put up for auction one of these days!  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 9:08 AM, kingraph said:

This was great, thanks for writing and sharing! 

The discussion about developers crunching away to finish a game reminded me of a great book called Blood, Sweat, and Pixels by  Jason Schreier.  For anyone interested in taking a peek inside the world of video game development, that book is a page-turner!  Each chapter chronicles a different game development in different eras.   Road to the Cup sounds exactly the same! 

Also, would love if the source code was ever released or put up for auction one of these days!  

Agreed. Nice work! I remember as a kid waiting for that ESPN hockey game to come out and was pretty disappointed with the end product after renting it from the local corner store. What could have been....

• Like 1