NHL'94 Forums

King of 94 IV - Recruiting Ideas

aqualizard

What are some ways to get some of the people that come out to tourneys -- like Ko94 IV -- to join the online community?  Any and all ideas are welcome in this thread.

Ko94 IV is in Toronto, and we have months to prepare.  How do we get some live guys to play online?

Edited by aqualizard

Idea 1: The "Info Table"

Somewhere prominent at the venue, have a table that says "Play Online".  It will be staffed with a vet (like myself!). Better yet, possibly KG or someone with connections to the underworld can get some hot strippers to (wo)man the booth?  Anything to get some traffic going. :P

It will have:

• a bunch of business cards (I already printed) that have a URL: https://nhl94.com/joinus/
  • a laptop with  an internet connection
  • ideally a big LCD

The laptop will be used to:

1. actually walk people through joining online, on the forum
2. demo for people how to play with GENs / RA

This idea, or some variation has been proposed before, but now we need to flesh it out.  Since the event is in Toronto, I am 100% willing to spearhead it.  But I want to make sure we take the best approach, t maximize online recruits.  Hence, me seeking advice. Thoughts?

Edited by aqualizard
  • Like 2

- 10-15 minute presentation before tourney play starts to discuss the benefits of playing online, draft leagues, 2v2.

- I've thought about this for a while, what about devising a free USB drive with all necessary files that guys could just "plug and play".

- What about giving away "bootleg style" DVD copies of the many created roms (with a folder containing links to the NHL94 sites, and files necessary to play online) 

- Have a laptop handy for guys to sign-up on the site - maybe provide some incentive (free program? cheatsheet?)

- Maybe offer a "live draft league" mini-tourney for guys that don't make the bracket play. 

Just spit-ballin'

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, jer_33 said:

- 10-15 minute presentation before tourney play starts to discuss the benefits of playing online, draft leagues, 2v2.

- I've thought about this for a while, what about devising a free USB drive with all necessary files that guys could just "plug and play".

- What about giving away "bootleg style" DVD copies of the many created roms (with a folder containing links to the NHL94 sites, and files necessary to play online) 

- Have a laptop handy for guys to sign-up on the site - maybe provide some incentive (free program? cheatsheet?)

- Maybe offer a "live draft league" mini-tourney for guys that don't make the bracket play. 

Just spit-ballin'

Love this idea.  Could even have guys who can’t make the tourney like Skip, Tex,  Lupz available to play online also.  Have discord set up etc

Maybe if you offered up an incentive for people to sign up.. win a copy of whatever... maybe that's where you have the USB's with all the different ROM's come in. The experience of online play at the venue sounds really cool.

I think of you demo you should actually do an online game with someone not at the tourney.  Have someone from the discord group be waiting to demo online live. Maybe you could even leave a station open for online gaming where players could practice vs someone online when they are not playing their matches.   

• Like 1