NHL'94 Forums

Dealing With No Shows

aqualizard

Ko94 IV is in Toronto.  Just like #1 was.  This means:

1. There will be a ton of local people coming
  2. Lots of no shows

This was the case with the first one.  Because many people are casuals -- joining because the event happens to be in their home town -- it is easy to not be bothered the day of the event, and to decide not to go.  

Edit: I wanted to insert these stats here, from the 1st King of 94 in Toronto:
- how many forum guys, vs non forum
- how many no shows
But after scouring the old threads can't find them, even though I know I have seen them.

Bottom line: what can we do about this, and how can we make sure that the impact is minimal, and fun factor still high.

Edited by aqualizard

Idea 1:
Open up tourney to game day replacements, especially if this is mentioned in a Radio spot or somehow last minute.  (On the website, 48 hours before, would be a good place, too.)

Since the spots are already paid for, you could let replacements join for half price, or even free?   I know the participants that show up just want to play! Missing a game when there are people around sucks, especially in Toronto where anyone over 30 has played this game.

Idea 2:
Replace "no show" guys on a game-by-game basis with registered participants (a one-game "volunteer").  This means each scheduled game still happens, but we will make it officially a 1-0 win for the legit player.  People want to play, so make sure there all scheduled games happen.  

Edited by aqualizard

I believe we had solved this after the first tournament. 

We created round robin groups with a buffer (extra person or two) for no shows. So no matter what happens people will play the amount of games they are guaranteed. 

I have schedules pre made for any scenario that may arise. So that if I have to move people to another group, I can do so quickly. 

I would not want to get in to people replacing others for partial fees or free for that matter. 

When guys sign up they know the fee is non refundable, but it is also transferable. 

There’s  been three instances where players have transferred their entry to someone else. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, halifax said:

I believe we had solved this after the first tournament. 

We created round robin groups with a buffer (extra person or two) for no shows. So no matter what happens people will play the amount of games they are guaranteed. 

I have schedules pre made for any scenario that may arise. So that if I have to move people to another group, I can do so quickly. 

I would not want to get in to people replacing others for partial fees or free for that matter. 

When guys sign up they know the fee is non refundable, but it is also transferable. 

There’s  been three instances where players have transferred their entry to someone else. 

Glad to know this is sorted!  (I still don't understand how it works, but you sound like you know what you are talking about!  And by now you have a lot of experience with these things.)

Thanks, Halifax! :)