NHL'94 Forums

NHL'94 from Playstation2 NHL'06

smozoma

PS2NHL94.bin

This is the version of NHL'94 that came with the Playstation 2 version of NHL'06. EA/Sony used fake player names and logos due to licensing issues (for example, most players were retired so no longer in the NHLPA). Maybe someone could put together a table mapping the fake player names to the real ones, and the various fake logos.

Extracted  by elfor on Discord - Thanks!

The story goes that Brian Provinciano, who made  Retro City Rampage (not to be confused with River City Ransom), worked on putting 94 into 06. Here's an interview with him in which he mentions his work on it, at 27m: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpAZ8Acwu6A#t=27m

If anyone downloads and plays it, please post a few screenshots!

• Like 2

Just played a few minutes of it and I thought I was interesting seeing some of the logos like the one below which is the Hartford Whalers logo center ice yet the Whalers never used it ever in the existence of the team! Or at least from what I saw on sportslogos.net

PS2NHL94-0000.jpg

Edited by TFC fan 15

11 hours ago, TFC fan 15 said:

Just played a few minutes of it and I thought I was interesting seeing some of the logos like the one below which is the Hartford Whalers logo center ice yet the Whalers never used it ever in the existence of the team! Or at least from what I saw on sportslogos.net

PS2NHL94-0000.jpg

I forgot to mention - due to licensing law stuff, they had to remove player names and edit: one team logos. So the logos are is a fake logos. As are the player names.

11 hours ago, TFC fan 15 said:

PS2NHL94-0000.jpg

I'm curious, if you read the Ronn Barr text, does he call the team the Whalers or something else?

Every emblem except the Whalers is there.
No Ron Barr, but otherwise almost every screen looks the same.

Hartford is called the Hartford Canes in the game.
The NHL now has the TM for Whalers and the logo, but at the time (2006) they did not.

Ratings are the exact same for all the players just with phony names and numbers.
Arena names are also missing.

Whalers still have Brass Bonanza as the music.
All the other music is accurate as well.

Really cool.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

Can someone give a few examples of the fake names?

I'm curious if they're funny names like Can O'Corn (from Ken Griffey Jr. on SNES)

I haven't run the game, but in the youtube clip he actually talks about writing a program to generate fake names. I assume they're bland names.

For the most part they're pretty plain but I remember finding a few winners when I was looking through the rosters, like DAL goalie Red Duel, DET defenseman Vern Chern, and EDM forward Bubba Dee. SJ defenseman Speedy Greene is probably my favorite.

Some of the names have to be deliberate, though, like Joey LeBlanc and Chandler Perry of NJ. Not to mention Wayne Bruce.

Teemu Selanne was given the fake name Rick Flash.

I also noticed Provinciano himself is playing defense for at least three different teams: CGY, FLA, and MTL.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kgman said:

So plabax how did u start using a dpad and then switching to keyboard something doesnt add up.....detective kg 

PS2 controller doesn't plug into a PC :/

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...