NHL'94 Forums

Low rated Goalies on user-controlled teams

Has anyone else noticed the propensity for the lowest rated goalies to be the best performers on user-controlled teams? I use manual goalie a lot in user-user games and I find the my best results are with the scrub goalies rated in the 40s. Three examples that come to mind are Stephane Beauregard, PHI; J.C. Bergeron, TB; and Frank Pietrangelo, HFD. I think its because faster goalies are harder to control in manual mode, but I am not sure. Anyone else notice this?

Has anyone else noticed the propensity for the lowest rated goalies to be the best performers on user-controlled teams?  I use manual goalie a lot in user-user games and I find the my best results are with the scrub goalies rated in the 40s.  Three examples that come to mind are Stephane Beauregard, PHI; J.C. Bergeron, TB; and Frank Pietrangelo, HFD.  I think its because faster goalies are harder to control in manual mode, but I am not sure.  Anyone else notice this?

I find that too... its because the goalies are like pong paddles.... they don't skate like players, who have momentum and everything, the goalies essentially move up down left right, and the good goalies are a little too fast. That being said, my cuz uses detroit who has pathetic tending.. and as much as he takes control, the times he doesn't I still capitalize on. I think you need to have a team with a goalie, at the minimum, in the mid 60's - anything lower and you can score on them no problem, because you can't control the goalie the entire game.

I find that too... its because the goalies are like pong paddles.... they don't skate like players, who have momentum and everything, the goalies essentially move up down left right, and the good goalies are a little too fast.  That being said, my cuz uses detroit who has pathetic tending.. and as much as he takes control, the times he doesn't I still capitalize on.  I think you need to have a team with a goalie, at the minimum, in the mid 60's - anything lower and you can score on them no problem, because you can't control the goalie the entire game.

Definately true, the 50's range goalies are the best in the game for manual control, by far better than the Roy's and Belfour's. I think Jeff Reese is the best goalie in the game, mostly because he NEVER poke-checks (pokechecking is the devil when you're on manual goalie).

Actually you can control the goalie pretty much the entire the game, that's my strategy. Any breakaways, 2 on 1's, or the other team deep in my zone and I take control of the goalie. It works very well for me.

Definately true, the 50's range goalies are the best in the game for manual control, by far better than the Roy's and Belfour's.  I think Jeff Reese is the best goalie in the game, mostly because he NEVER poke-checks (pokechecking is the devil when you're on manual goalie).

Actually you can control the goalie pretty much the entire the game, that's my strategy.  Any breakaways, 2 on 1's, or the other team deep in my zone and I take control of the goalie.  It works very well for me.

I try to take control at the last possible minute... I'd rather have one of my players hustle back with the computer goalie than relenquish with manual goalie.... but my goalie is also one of the better ones in the game.

I try to take manual on all breakaways, but I also like to use manual when I feel that the shot is an automatic goal otherwise. Sometimes I'll use manual to defend a potential one-timer. Stopping a one-timer manually always pumps me up! Also, I have been known to use to goalie to check a puck carrier behind the net. This only works when they cannot possibly skate or pass the other direction. When it works, its golden. Anyway, I love the lower rated goalies for all these moves because the others are way too out of control. When I use Roy or Belfour, I try not to use manual as much.

I try to take manual on all breakaways, but I also like to use manual when I feel that the shot is an automatic goal otherwise.  Sometimes I'll use manual to defend a potential one-timer.  Stopping a one-timer manually always pumps me up!  Also, I have been known to use to goalie to check a puck carrier behind the net.  This only works when they cannot possibly skate or pass the other direction.  When it works, its golden.  Anyway, I love the lower rated goalies for all these moves because the others are way too out of control.  When I use Roy or Belfour, I try not to use manual as much.

my favourite goalie move, and its one i've been using more and more lately, is when the other team is on a breakaway, I pull my goalie a bit back towards my net, and then full steam skate towards the player and push the dive button. Essentially, if you aim correctly, they are totally unprepared for it and the player will either lose control of the puck or fall down, or both. Of course it is risky, but its a lot of fun... Its like a full body pokecheck.

I'm not sure if this trick is posted somewhere, but to mix things up, if you have a penalty shot on manual goalie, and you change your goalies in the middle of the shot, you can then use your goalie to skate anywhere you want (i.e. charge up the ice and tackle the shooter at the blueline)... although it's difficult to control the goalie and you can't make any moves except skating.

my favourite goalie move, and its one i've been using more and more lately, is when the other team is on a breakaway, I pull my goalie a bit back towards my net, and then full steam skate towards the player and push the dive button.  Essentially, if you aim correctly, they are totally unprepared for it and the player will either lose control of the puck or fall down, or both.  Of course it is risky, but its a lot of fun... Its like a full body pokecheck.

Ha ha ha! I use the goalie dive all the time. Its usually a great way to rattle the opponent especially if you limit its use.

Ha ha ha!  I use the goalie dive all the time.  Its usually a great way to rattle the opponent especially if you limit its use.

My old roomated HATED that move, but he loved my consistent "make a bad pass with the goalie leading to an automatic goal" move once a game....