NHL'94 Forums

Badly Frustrated with 93 and 94

Tex

I’m getting to where I’m not having fun at all. I don’t understand how to edit a roster in a way where the players actually do what I want them to do. 

Defense....from a defenseman!?! What’s that mean. It doesn’t matter if both of my defenders are 99 overall, they will not play tight defense. They skate all over the place. They’re always across center ice when they shouldn’t be. They usually just skate right passed the cpu as he’s moving the puck. No one can check on 94, body checks I mean. They don’t exist. Just a bunch of guys running into each other. I’ve made them heavy and fast, light and fast, slow and fat, skinny and slow etc etc and no one can check.  That’s not my issue it’s the AI for my defenders. They literally don’t do anything to help. I get one timed to death but against the cpu I can’t get a pass through because all their guys clog up the lines while my guys are in Disney on Ice mode. It’s killing me.

What is the perfect model, attribute wise for a lockdown defensemen??? Weight,speed, everything. Please tell me. Of course when I play the cpu, their whole team camps out in front of the net so I never get a one timer off. I don’t understand the way these rosters work. A good defenseman is just a number on a screen to me. 

How do I build a real team? Attribute wise. because having a team full of 93 to 95’s doesn’t make me win.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I remember something about if a defenseman's "offensive awareness" is too high, he might have a tendency to run around out of position a lot. Maybe try lowering the offensive awareness and see if that helps. Might make him focus more on defense! :)

3 hours ago, superfan99 said:

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I remember something about if a defenseman's "offensive awareness" is too high, he might have a tendency to run around out of position a lot. Maybe try lowering the offensive awareness and see if that helps. Might make him focus more on defense! :)

I’ve read that before and it’s true that my defenseman on my go to teams have high off awareness I just thought on 94 it wouldn’t be an issue like it was on 93. I’m going to lower it and see what happens.

Min

Try low defensive awareness. It sounds weird, but they may default to a basic defensive position that way.

To make them check, set their checking ratings really high. Ray Bourque has a 99, and whenever you play against CPU Boston, he runs guys all game, it's hilarious.

Getting one-timers against the CPU shouldn't be particularly hard, so you may need to adjust your play, angles, passing... 

On defense, you should take control of the players and not depend on the AI. It's an old game, the AI is not very sophisticated (and apparently was originally written for football/Madden).

If you're not currently beating the CPU, work on the crease-cut goal - skate out from the boards right across in front of the goalie, and hold down the shoot button to wind up a big slapshot. The goalie will fall over and you'll have a wide open net.

After that, start doing it from farther out from the net. THe goalie won't go down, but if your shooter has a decent shot, he can often score top-corner.

19 hours ago, smozoma said:

Try low defensive awareness. It sounds weird, but they may default to a basic defensive position that way.

To make them check, set their checking ratings really high. Ray Bourque has a 99, and whenever you play against CPU Boston, he runs guys all game, it's hilarious.

Getting one-timers against the CPU shouldn't be particularly hard, so you may need to adjust your play, angles, passing... 

On defense, you should take control of the players and not depend on the AI. It's an old game, the AI is not very sophisticated (and apparently was originally written for football/Madden).

If you're not currently beating the CPU, work on the crease-cut goal - skate out from the boards right across in front of the goalie, and hold down the shoot button to wind up a big slapshot. The goalie will fall over and you'll have a wide open net.

After that, start doing it from farther out from the net. THe goalie won't go down, but if your shooter has a decent shot, he can often score top-corner.

I’m trying to go manual goalie and I can’t become the goalie. I’ve read the manual and it just doesn’t work for me. I just get scored on because I can’t take control of the goalie. 

One problem I have is I play on a tablet and I don’t use a controller and the virtual D pad is a joke. When I played this very game in the 90’s with an actual controller I never lost but I can’t win playing on this tablet. I gotta get a usb controller for PV

4 hours ago, Tex said:

I’m trying to go manual goalie and I can’t become the goalie. I’ve read the manual and it just doesn’t work for me. I just get scored on because I can’t take control of the goalie. 

One problem I have is I play on a tablet and I don’t use a controller and the virtual D pad is a joke. When I played this very game in the 90’s with an actual controller I never lost but I can’t win playing on this tablet. I gotta get a usb controller for PV

Ouch why torture yourself. Hold (not tap) B for about .4 seconds to become the goalie

You could get a bluetooth controller

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-bluetooth-controller,review-6182.html

I use a Hyperkin controller for NHLPA 93 and NHL 94 on the PC: https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-GN6-Premium-Genesis-USB-Controller/dp/B00KX75UT6

They are literally exactly the same as a Genesis controller, except with a PC plug. I love them and have never had any issue with them at all. They're a little more expensive but totally worth it! They use the exact same blueprints for the controller as the original 6 button Genesis controller.

I used to use a Mayflash Adapter and the original controller for Genesis on my PC, but started having button mapping issues. Plus I wanted a direct controller-to-PC connection without the clunky adapter. So the Hyperkin was perfect. No mapping issues, direct connection, and feels just like an actual Genesis 6 button controller. :)

Edited by superfan99