NHL'94 Forums

93 One-Timers

CoachMac

Always fun scoring 1-timers in '93. There are a ton in this video that I made over a decade ago:

We had a league back then, '06 or thereabouts - I'd have to search for the thread. I know a lot of people love the fighting in 93 but, to me, it really doesn't add anything. There's no way to strategically setup fights. Also, in hockey video games, I like it when the losing fighters team gets a penalty and the winners' team doesn't.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

That is a great video.

I am inspired.

To get better.

@DaDonch44 ran a GDL 93 in 2012.

That was the first league I played in.

I then ran some 93 leagues in 2013 and 2014, followed by some 92 leagues.

Lots of great buds played in them.

@kingraph@Brutus@jer_33@angryjay93

93 is also far more fun and challenging to play against the computer.

Hard to explain why as the deke is super easy to score in 93, but play 20 games of 94 vs CPU and then try 20 of 93.

93 is better.

I used to know this, having to relearn.

you were behind the awesome 93 site?

http://www.nhlpa93.nhl94.com

Would have liked to play in the 92 league.

@deadmeow used to run Classic Genesis Sports and there was a '92 league but there were never enough heads. He had to stop due to illness.

The first NHL'94 Online Championship was held on his forum before @Evan got things setup over here. @HABS won the first cup against @Tickenest or @kgman

And yeah, I setup the '93 site back in '07. The site hasn't been updated but the style is what the old '94 site used to look like, except it's red instead of blue.

'93 is brutal to play man vs man because of the atrocious auto goalie.  '92 was a lot more fun, but if I remember correctly, the main issue there was no b-check.  So weight (heavy, no weight bug) became such an insanely important attribute that it also lost it's appeal.  I'm waiting for @segathon to start a '95 online league.  Need to prepare for Toronto 2020.  Anyway, nothing really compares to the beauty of '94 for man vs man play.    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, clockwise said:

Always fun scoring 1-timers in '93. There are a ton in this video that I made over a decade ago:

We had a league back then, '06 or thereabouts - I'd have to search for the thread. I know a lot of people love the fighting in 93 but, to me, it really doesn't add anything. There's no way to strategically setup fights. Also, in hockey video games, I like it when the losing fighters team gets a penalty and the winners' team doesn't.

If you look in the Rules tab when you have the ROM open in NOSE, there are two places where fighting is listed. I recently discovered by accident when I kept getting 3 minutes for fighting and the computer was getting 1 minute for fighting. My guess is that you can give different penalty minutes to the winner and to the loser of the fight. I will test tonight.

93 is still my personal favorite.

I tried doing a two minute fighting and five minute "fighting and losing" penalty once. The game didn't like it. It ended up completely screwing up the penalty clock for the loser.

I have some screenshots from that test on my computer at home but I can't get to them yet. Will post later.

EDIT: Didn't have a host handy for embedding so those screens ended up as attachments.

fightingandlosingtest000.png

fightingandlosingtest001.png

fightingandlosingtest002.png

Edited by DeterminedApathy
Adding to post

That 8 is the penalized player's number. He only has 32:11 on the clock. Which is still a good 27 minutes longer than intended but yeah.

Like I said, the game definitely didn't like having two different lengths for fighting penalties. More's the pity.