NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 Remastered

clockwise

I promised myself I'd never do another ROM project, but I have an idea and would like some feedback from the community.

Many of the purists may be thinking that I'm messing with the Mona Lisa of hockey games, but I think an updated version of the game could be a good thing.

Before I get started: no I don't think this will replace the original NHL'94 with all it's beautiful flaws. That's not the big idea. This would just be a twist on the original that could freshen up the game and be a lot of fun to play.

Some of the adjustments / corrections to be considered:

• Player ratings predicated on member feedback. This would make this ROM edit more of a community project. 
  • Correct, expanded, post-trade-deadline rosters, including players who were not in the original game but should have been.
  • Correct the uniforms with the help of my sprite patch: ECA/WCA, SJS, PHI, MTL, CHI & FLA, just as an example, are way off. This might not bother some people, but I'd like the uniforms to be as accurate as possible. My sprite patch makes this possible.
  • Improved center ice logos
  • Improved team-menu logos
  • Improved splash screens, maybe. I feel it may be best to leave these alone, unless I can find the original splash screen photo and remake it for TM.
  • Player card photo for every forward, defenseman and goalie.
  • Updated net.
  • Weight bug fix(?)
  • Assist bug fix
  • Separate (Y) button for goalie control patch (holding B still works, for those who've never played a ROM with this patch)
  • Swap goal siren and end-of-period horn.
  • I also feel like the banners and font can be improved but shouldn't be messed with.

That's all for now.

The reason why I haven't added a poll is because I like some feedback as to whether the brain trust, here, thinks this is a good idea, and if I were to start this, what exactly would everyone like changed.

Really want to here from the established members of the community as well if it seems like a worthwhile endeavor, because ultimately the community will be playing the game. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, clockwise said:

I promised myself I'd never do another ROM project, but I have an idea and would like some feedback from the community.

Many of the purists may be thinking that I'm messing with the Mona Lisa of hockey games, but I think an updated version of the game could be a good thing.

Before I get started: no I don't think this will replace the original NHL'94 with all it's beautiful flaws. That's not the big idea. This would just be a twist on the original that could freshen up the game and be a lot of fun to play.

Some of the adjustments / corrections to be considered:

• Player ratings predicated on member feedback. This would make this ROM edit more of a community project. 
  • Correct, expanded, post-trade-deadline rosters, including players who were not in the original game but should have been.
  • Correct the uniforms with the help of my sprite patch: ECA/WCA, SJS, PHI, MTL, CHI & FLA, just as an example, are way off. This might not bother some people, but I'd like the uniforms to be as accurate as possible. My sprite patch makes this possible.
  • Improved center ice logos
  • Improved team-menu logos
  • Improved splash screens, maybe. I feel it may be best to leave these alone, unless I can find the original splash screen photo and remake it for TM.
  • Player card photo for every forward, defenseman and goalie.
  • Updated net.
  • Weight bug fix(?)
  • Assist bug fix
  • Separate (Y) button for goalie control patch (holding B still works, for those who've never played a ROM with this patch)
  • Swap goal siren and end-of-period horn.
  • I also feel like the banners and font can be improved but shouldn't be messed with.

That's all for now.

The reason why I haven't added a poll is because I like some feedback as to whether the brain trust, here, thinks this is a good idea, and if I were to start this, what exactly would everyone like changed.

Really want to here from the established members of the community as well if it seems like a worthwhile endeavor, because ultimately the community will be playing the game. 

I have done my versions of this.

Not everything you posted, but it does have some of it.

I have some other versions I have made for guys as well, such as my Mike Modano special.

More info can be found here.

NHL'93classic.bin

NHL'94classic.bin

• Like 1

I love the effort and attention to detail that gets poured into these individual roms.  With the exception of a league custom rom, or the annual roster refresh roms, I don't deviate from the main games  very often.  I'm sure there are rom junkies out there that need another fix.  Just realize, not unlike dozens of roms before it, this may and likely will end up on the shelf, unless you or someone else runs a league with it.  I don't know what goes into doing all of this, just understand that most players will slip back into OG roms for that consistency factor, especially when training for a live event.

Good luck in the process!

Edited by Edge of 94' WI

A large part of me loves this idea, but the reality is this will have to be your own passion project.  There isn't much demand for something like this specific, and much of this already exists in other ROMs.  Player cards are great, but rarely do people go to the menu to look at all of them.  I am always happy to help, and I tend to be pretty detail oriented when it comes to ROM hacking, but too many other '94 related projects out there for me at the moment. 

@CoachMac thanks, Coach. I'll take a look at that ROM later on. How did you do all of those? Amazing!

@Edge of 94' WI good point and I'm well aware. The original ROM will always be the ROM. Even with all the ROM's I've done, I doubt anyone plays them besides 2on2.

@kingraph I definitely take full responsibility for the project, but if members can chip in two cents here or there, if I create a topic about a team and am overhauling ratings, that would be appreciated. This is what I was going to do with pixelpuck.com but it became too time consuming. 

I don't expect or need anyone to have to open my edit in TM or NOSE and make adjustments. And I know that no one really cares about player cards and such, but they are a nice finishing touch. 

As an example Brodeur isn't even in the game, yet he won the Calder. I believe Hasek won the Veznia as well but is only rated 50-something.

A team like San Jose would get a big bump in forward depth with the additions of Makarov, Larionov and Whitney. Irbe deserves a better rating as well.

There are a lot of small adjustments that could shift the tiers to make the game more fun to play. Perhaps it could make for a deeper draft league if anyone had interest in doing something like that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clockwise said:

@CoachMac thanks, Coach. I'll take a look at that ROM later on. How did you do all of those? Amazing!

@Edge of 94' WI good point and I'm well aware. The original ROM will always be the ROM. Even with all the ROM's I've done, I doubt anyone plays them besides 2on2.

@kingraph I definitely take full responsibility for the project, but if members can chip in two cents here or there, if I create a topic about a team and am overhauling ratings, that would be appreciated. This is what I was going to do with pixelpuck.com but it became too time consuming. 

I don't expect or need anyone to have to open my edit in TM or NOSE and make adjustments. And I know that no one really cares about player cards and such, but they are a nice finishing touch. 

As an example Brodeur isn't even in the game, yet he won the Calder. I believe Hasek won the Veznia as well but is only rated 50-something.

A team like San Jose would get a big bump in forward depth with the additions of Makarov, Larionov and Whitney. Irbe deserves a better rating as well.

There are a lot of small adjustments that could shift the tiers to make the game more fun to play. Perhaps it could make for a deeper draft league if anyone had interest in doing something like that. 

Remember the game is actually based on the 1992-93 Season.

This sounds more like a rom based on the 1993-94 Season.  Which is a cool idea.

I actually think the ratings from NHL 95 are better than the ratings for 94.  They were done by Neil Smith of the Rangers as opposed to Igor Kuperman.

They would be a good place to start as 95 has all of the tweaks you mentioned and more.

I am also glad that at least you, me, and @kingraph care about the player cards.  I watch them every single time.

One thing about my roms is that I left the ratings and game play untouched so that it plays exactly like the Original , but it looks tons better.

I can barely look at the Original rom with the improvements made to Logos, player cards, and splash screens.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CoachMac said:

Remember the game is actually based on the 1992-93 Season.

This sounds more like a rom based on the 1993-94 Season.  Which is a cool idea.

I actually think the ratings from NHL 95 are better than the ratings for 94.  They were done by Neil Smith of the Rangers as opposed to Igor Kuperman.

They would be a good place to start as 95 has all of the tweaks you mentioned and more.

I am also glad that at least you, me, and @kingraph care about the player cards.  I watch them every single time.

One thing about my roms is that I left the ratings and game play untouched so that it plays exactly like the Original , but it looks tons better.

I can barely look at the Original rom with the improvements made to Logos, player cards, and splash screens.

Yes! Well, just after the trade deadline, so...

• Gartner (TOR) <---> Anderson (NYR)
  • Amonte (CHI) <--> Matteau, Noonan (NYR)
  • Iafrate (BOS) <--> Juneau (WSH)
  • Suter, Ranheim (HFD) <--> (CGY) Nylander, Patrick, Zalapski
  • etc

'95 is interesting considering Smith did the ratings and the Rangers won the cup yet they aren't rated that high. I do agree that 95s' ratings are more reasonable.

In total agreement with you regarding visual updates. A lot of the logos, and other assets I did for my NHL11-14 ROMS are really good and make the original developers look lazy.

20 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

In the classic rom his name is mis-spelled Alexnder Mogilny.

I thought that was a screen space limitation, all the Alexanders are spelled that way

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

I thought that was a screen space limitation, all the Alexanders are spelled that way

Extending names can cause problems when the player scores a goal and on the 3 stars screen.

I can't remember the details but I have changed shortened names in my retro roms because it looks bad.

10 letter max sounds about right.