NHL'94 Forums

Custom EIHL (GB) ROM - plan of action (and call for help!)

I like the idea of keeping it as accurate as possible to current season/format. But the final decision should go to @MonkeyHead and/or@LaTormenta to make the call on teams to include. It feels unfair as they properly follow the league ^_^

Ok. The 10 teams for season mode I can sort with NOSE real easily using 19-20 season rosters. Well, 7 teams, after the 3 from the CHL mod. I shall use 19-20 performance for scaling, both league position at season cancellation, and individual stats.

For the others, I am gonna start some planning. To Elite prospects I go!

Current Team GB I shall pull from the most recent IIHF tournament.

EIHL All-Star I shall put together from players active in 19-20 not eligible for Team GB that have more than one season in the EIHL - no one season wonders.

All-time Team GB I shall form from retired GB players.

All-time EIHL I shall build from retired non-GB eligible players, again, with more than one season in the league.

That gives 4 more teams for non season play, with minimal duplication.

Edited by MonkeyHead
  • Like 1

Great. So, here will be the layout of the teams

1-26 (season teams) - 10 current active teams, with 16 dummy teams. Play 54 games (6 games against each team), but the dummy teams have no games to allow them to be lower seeds in the playoff format when the season ends.

27-34 (non-season) - Team GB, EIHL All-Stars, All-Time Team GB, All-Time EIHL, and 2x new teams like Milton Keynes Lightning and Leeds Chiefs.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Just spent an enjoyable few hours planning rosters for the 3 all star teams. The EIHL has a wide range of cult figures that really helped (like Brad Voth, who clocked up a staggering 347 PIM in 50 games for 33 points...). Also, the 1936 Team GB olympic gold medal winners has some real characters, including a winger with one eye...

Edited by MonkeyHead
  • Haha 1

This looks awesome.  Great work!

@UltraMagnus - I've got your DM.  Thanks.  I'll get the ROM over to you in a day or two (with all of the the graphics I have collected to date), as I'm currently in a world of hurt at work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyHead said:

Looks great on an android emulator. So far I have 7 rosters planned, with 3 of them the heavy lifting of the custom teams. 

Well once you do them, I can drop them in the game. Ive reached out to @von Ozbourme to see if he can guide me a little on how to modify the trophies. Might a huge help in making the future roms pop.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:23 AM, MonkeyHead said:

Aaron Murphy is the main voice of hockey on TV here.

Hitting a bit of a wall with rosters. Imported pretty much every player for 14 teams, but setting liness and kits is a bit of a slog. Give me a few days...

I'm just about to message @UltraMagnus with a load of graphics and it includes a decent picture of Aaron Murphy and a Premier Sports logo (I cannot bring myself to include the Free Sports branding!).  I'd use that for Ron Barr.

What are you struggling with, lines wise?  Working them out?  If so, I can send you what I have done if it helps?  I saved a load of the EIHL tweets on lines a while back just in case, as I am always too, well, tiddly to remember everything after the games!  I have managed to sort the lines for all 10 teams, including PP and PK lines.  I have had to fudge a few of them but they look broadly okay from my perspective.

Oh, I have it all worked out using gamesheets (broadly accurate, with fudges to take into account game limitations and how very few teams roll consistent lines). I tended to put players in the top line who put up good numbers, which broadly match records from key fixtures. Its just finding the time to concentrate on getting it done!

Though, it would be very interesting to compare how we rated players (you might be pleased to see how highly I rated Matt Ginn, based on his percentage)...

Edited by MonkeyHead

1 hour ago, MonkeyHead said:

Oh, I have it all worked out using gamesheets (broadly accurate, with fudges to take into account game limitations and how very few teams roll consistent lines). I tended to put players in the top line who put up good numbers, which broadly match records from key fixtures. Its just finding the time to concentrate on getting it done!

Though, it would be very interesting to compare how we rated players (you might be pleased to see how highly I rated Matt Ginn, based on his percentage)...

You've already done the ratings?  I might take some inspiration from them once the ROM is done!  I am still trying to finalise a ratings system based on the Elite Prospects data from last season.  And my better half is distraught that Ginn has gone back to Canada now.  He is the only reason we didn't lose every game last season!

It really helped that I decided to make an all star team. I sifted eliteprospects data to find the players who have at least 2 EIHL seasons and sorted by goals, assists and PIM. I built that team first, with player ratings overall between 82 (Corcoran, assist machine) and 72 (Schiestel). When building teams, I used any "all star" players to help calibrate ratings - so, say for Cardiff, Martin is 2nd line centre for the all stars at 80, so our top line of him, Haddad (also an all star at 76 thanks to his shooting) and Riley (72) kinda felt accurate. Steelers top 2 lines are similar - they scored way more goals than anyone else last year, though leaked many the other end so I needed to nerf D men like Brocklehurst. Building the rest kinda flowed from there, and worked - Herr leading the Panthers, Pelech a wrecking ball for the Giants - they already fitted, and it made scaling players easy if teams had a player who made it through my filtering. It also helped shape teams - the Flames provide some speedy players to the all stars, so Guildfords roster and lines are dominated by rapid wing play, which is kinda realistic based on what I saw from them last year in some free flowing matches. When I built the GB team from players in the EIHL teams scaled against the all star players, I was pleased to see the ratings based on EP records kind of worked, especially when I added Kirk as an 83 overall rating.

Ginn gets 76, and is the highest rated tendie outside of the 2 legends teams, though all time GB has 2 90+ netties in a 2 time Venezia winner from the early 30's, and the '36 gold medal winner (oh, and Stevie Lyle as 3rd choice).

Tony Hand clocks in at 89 as the best non goalie player as top line centre for All time GB. Cole Shudra (unused D sub for leaky steelers) scores lowest at 46, though when further calibrating Fife or Dundee that might change.

Edited by MonkeyHead
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, UltraMagnus said:

If you gents also know the awards for the league. 

Hart - MvP

Jennings - Lowest GAA

Vezina - Best Goalie

Norris - Best Dman

Selke - Best defensive fwd

Art Ross- Points leader

Conn Smyth - playoff map

Stanley cup - champion.

It's a bit of a Mickey Mouse league, so most of the above are rather unimaginative by comparison.  "Top Scorer", "Netminder of the Year" etc.  The top prize is simply the "Play-Off Trophy".  There is a cup competition, called the Challenge Cup, but that's something different.

Edited by LaTormenta

My effort at rosters is finally at a state where I feel further tinkering will drive me mad. Attached is a ROM derived from the CHL ROM (as it had 3 teams in it I needed...) with them in. I have only edited the rosters, lines, kits, and basic team details, but none of the logos etc, so this isn't for playing, but instead for @UltraMagnus and @LaTormenta to use as they see fit in their own work. Further editing to make team names etc. appear in a ROM correctly might be needed, but all the basics are there to build on. Feel free to use\amend\ignore as you see fit

The rosters are for 14 teams - 10 EIHL, and 4 extras. I have decided against including lower level UK teams, as scaling them with any accuracy considering the gulf in class would be impossible - and also my brain is now mush from doing these 14. Mad respect to the legends here who do the whole NHL, not some minor league...

As for my ratings... eh. The EIHL is comparable in style and quality to the ECHL. The player base is journeymen from NA, older pros from Europe, and some domestic talent. To make the rosters enjoyable to play but also realistic I have avoided too many 80+ or 50- players, with my ratings in context of minor league hockey. Each team and player was based on 2019\2020 stats (thanks EliteProspects), EIHL data, and my own impressions as a long time EIHL observer I think I did ok considering... YMMV.

As for the teams... In rough order of strength:

EIHL Legends - A team made up of non-GB eligible players that hold the best stats over the last few decades. Strong all around.

GB Legends - A team of the best players to ever represent GB, apart from one - Charlie Gardiner (2 time Vezina winner). Had to include him... Made up of a mix of '36 gold medal winners, and players from the last "golden age" of GB hockey in the early 90's. Also strong all around.

EIHL All-Stars - A roster of the current best non-GB players in the EIHL with at least 2 seasons in the league. No one season wonders who show up, take the cash, and leave ASAP. Loaded with goals.

Team GB - Based on 2019 IIHF team, which made a decent showing in avoiding relegation.

Cardiff Devils - League leaders at season cancellation. Solid physical unit.

Sheffield Steelers - Free scoring offensive team, creaky defence.

Coventry Blaze - strong top line, not great depth.

Belfast Giants - defensively strong, not great offense.

Nottingham Panthers - Another defensive bias team.

Guildford Flames - Play a fast brand of hockey.

Manchester Storm - Struggling for goals, best netminder.

Glasgow Clan - Physical team, lacks depth.

Dundee Stars - Weak defensive players.

Fife Flyers - Can score goals. Will struggle without the puck.

EIHL Rosters.bin

• Love 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MonkeyHead said:

My effort at rosters is finally at a state where I feel further tinkering will drive me mad. Attached is a ROM derived from the CHL ROM (as it had 3 teams in it I needed...) with them in. I have only edited the rosters, lines, kits, and basic team details, but none of the logos etc, so this isn't for playing, but instead for @UltraMagnus and @LaTormenta to use as they see fit in their own work. Further editing to make team names etc. appear in a ROM correctly might be needed, but all the basics are there to build on. Feel free to use\amend\ignore as you see fit

The rosters are for 14 teams - 10 EIHL, and 4 extras. I have decided against including lower level UK teams, as scaling them with any accuracy considering the gulf in class would be impossible - and also my brain is now mush from doing these 14. Mad respect to the legends here who do the whole NHL, not some minor league...

As for my ratings... eh. The EIHL is comparable in style and quality to the ECHL. The player base is journeymen from NA, older pros from Europe, and some domestic talent. To make the rosters enjoyable to play but also realistic I have avoided too many 80+ or 50- players, with my ratings in context of minor league hockey. Each team and player was based on 2019\2020 stats (thanks EliteProspects), EIHL data, and my own impressions as a long time EIHL observer I think I did ok considering... YMMV.

As for the teams... In rough order of strength:

EIHL Legends - A team made up of non-GB eligible players that hold the best stats over the last few decades. Strong all around.

GB Legends - A team of the best players to ever represent GB, apart from one - Charlie Gardiner (2 time Vezina winner). Had to include him... Made up of a mix of '36 gold medal winners, and players from the last "golden age" of GB hockey in the early 90's. Also strong all around.

EIHL All-Stars - A roster of the current best non-GB players in the EIHL with at least 2 seasons in the league. No one season wonders who show up, take the cash, and leave ASAP. Loaded with goals.

Team GB - Based on 2019 IIHF team, which made a decent showing in avoiding relegation.

Cardiff Devils - League leaders at season cancellation. Solid physical unit.

Sheffield Steelers - Free scoring offensive team, creaky defence.

Coventry Blaze - strong top line, not great depth.

Belfast Giants - defensively strong, not great offense.

Nottingham Panthers - Another defensive bias team.

Guildford Flames - Play a fast brand of hockey.

Manchester Storm - Struggling for goals, best netminder.

Glasgow Clan - Physical team, lacks depth.

Dundee Stars - Weak defensive players.

Fife Flyers - Can score goals. Will struggle without the puck.

EIHL Rosters.bin 2 MB · 1 download

Mad respect to you @MonkeyHead!!!

Ill have some put together for you and others to love. Ill use all your details to the T. In addition, Ill be able to complete this rom very quickly now with this completed.

• Love 2