NHL'94 Forums

Custom EIHL (GB) ROM - plan of action (and call for help!)

I inputted directly into NOSE, sorry. You can cut and paste player data from one instance of NOSE to another, including a nifty option to only copy attributes - might be useful? You can do this for entire rosters at once, too.

Batch will be a good honest player for you - works hard at both ends, good physical game. Needs to be paired with a good stay at home D partner (Louis and Richardson were good matches with him) to allow him to roam a little. Likes to drop the gloves, too.

I was amazed you traded away first pick. After the Steelers stiched up Kirk, Bowns was always gonna go first. Reading into this, you guys are having Ginn back, aren't you?

Edited by MonkeyHead
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MonkeyHead said:

I inputted directly into NOSE, sorry. You can cut and paste player data from one instance of NOSE to another, including a nifty option to only copy attributes - might be useful? You can do this for entire rosters at once, too.

Batch will be a good honest player for you - works hard at both ends, good physical game. Needs to be paired with a good stay at home D partner (Louis and Richardson were good matches with him) to allow him to roam a little. Likes to drop the gloves, too.

I was amazed you traded away first pick. After the Steelers stiched up Kirk, Bowns was always gonna go first. Reading into this, you guys are having Ginn back, aren't you?

No worries.  I might have to open NOSE and copy them into my spreadsheet I suspect, but at least the data is easy to copy.  I will check the "copy attributes" option though.  Cheers for the heads-up.

Yeah, I think we are banking on Ginn being free, to be honest.  Plus, Bowns is used to playing behind a very good D line whereas ours can be a bit flakey at points, so it might be akin to seeing Messi at #10 for West Brom (or my beloved Newcastle) at the moment!

Now I'm getting an error message in NOSE that says that "The specified file does not appear to be a supported ROM."  Ack.

I was going to luck at the rosters whilst @UltraMagnus is working on the graphics.  I'm not sure why it is not working.

13 minutes ago, MonkeyHead said:

I know why! NOSE has a config file of sorts that tells it what version of EA game it is reading. To read and edit 95, @UltraMagnus had to tweak this file. He uploaded it around here somewhere for me, possibly in the CHL ROM thread.

You absolute dancer!  I found a thread that @UltraMagnus created a while back for NHL '95 editing and it included a version of NOSE with the tweaked .ini file.  I will sort the rosters over the next couple of days, so I can send the NHL '94 back to @UltraMagnus for importing the rosters into the updated ROM, in order to save him some (valuable) time.  Cheers!

2 hours ago, MonkeyHead said:

No worries. One thing to watch for is that in NOSE '95 mirrors goaltender catching hands - no idea why. If you copy one from 95 to 94, you might need to switch handedness back.

Cheers.  I have just about copied over the main squads and will sort the goaltenders tomorrow and double-check that the lines have not changed.  Once I am done, I will export the data from the NHL '94 ROM as a .CSV file using the Roster Tool and then update my spreadsheet in case I need it in the future.  Want a copy?  It's a bit geeky but might be useful.

For instance, I can see that we have a few differences regarding jersey numbers.  I collated 99% of my data from the team website over the course of last season, rather than Elite Prospects, and there seems to be the odd difference here-and-there.  Nothing major (and I need to double-check the .PDFs I saved of the pages) but it might be worth a double-check for sense.

Likewise with players, as I have the odd additional one player for a few squads, as some teams listed youth and two-ways players and I included them.  Nothing that is going to spoil the NHL '95 ROM, mind.

@UltraMagnus - Once I have updated the rosters, I will resend you the base NHL '94 ROM to save you having to sort the rosters.  It should save a load of time and allow you to focus on the graphics.

Jaysus, who knows, this thread might have actually ended up being useful for something!

Yeah, with the sheer number of players and EP's occasionally sketchy player data (understandable for minor players), I was bound to use jersey numbers that were out of date, or from a new team, or had to make one up where there was no record. I included a few 2-way players I knew of (say, Rutkis, a player I rate highly IRL), but didn't have the effort in me to research these exhaustively! I will probably use your more accurate\in depth rosters in any future work I do, if that's ok? :)

Mind you, now the heavy lifting has been done, updates for future seasons should be a little easier...

1 hour ago, MonkeyHead said:

Yeah, with the sheer number of players and EP's occasionally sketchy player data (understandable for minor players), I was bound to use jersey numbers that were out of date, or from a new team, or had to make one up where there was no record. I included a few 2-way players I knew of (say, Rutkis, a player I rate highly IRL), but didn't have the effort in me to research these exhaustively! I will probably use your more accurate\in depth rosters in any future work I do, if that's ok? :)

Mind you, now the heavy lifting has been done, updates for future seasons should be a little easier...

Sure, I am hardly going to say no given how much effort you have put into the ratings!  I pulled the initial spreadsheet together when players were getting announced for the 2019/20 season and then, as time went on, I updated it whenever there was any player news.  I checked everything at the end of the (cancelled) season, so the list does not factor in any new players currently on the rosters.  That said,  there are probably a few errors scattered about due to the fact that the whole process is not exactly anyone's idea of fun!

I have now transposed your ratings data into my NHL '94 ROM, so I just need to check the lines (which hopefully have not changed as a consequence of the update) and remove a couple of "not used" goalies.  After this, I will send the ROM to @UltraMagnus, so he can use it as his base ROM for the '94 version. 

It might be the weekend before I have chance to update the spreadsheet with the extracted ROM ratings, just because my listings are in a slightly different order, but I will post it ASAP.  As you say, it will help massively with future updates and, to be honest, you will probably find yourself copying player ratings between teams where they are similar anyway, given the whole thing seems to be an art and not a science.

It would be so much easier if there were a way to easily import .CSV files into the ROM but I don't think that the Roster Tool does that, although it is not the end of the world.  It is a damn sight easier than buggering around with the graphics!

1 hour ago, UltraMagnus said:

Here is a snapshot of NHL94 with Belfast

image.png

That looks ace.  Hopefully the edits are helping massively.  The Belfast, Glasgow, Manchester and Sheffield logos were always going to be the most difficult, as they have loads of unnecessary detail!  Plus, the Manchester one doesn't contain all of the colours used in the kit...!

I have just send you the version of the ROM with the up-to-date rosters and ratings that @MonkeyHead worked on for the '95 version.  The lines have also been updated slightly.

2 minutes ago, UltraMagnus said:

Thats perfect. I only did Belfast and the banners. Ill start over with these edits you completed. I was testing things with that other rom. Wanted to give you a show first before diving in and completing it quickly.

Awesome, great timing! 

I have not included any "all star" teams in the ROM for the time being.  These can be added in a later version, as (to be honest) the standard of the players across the league is such that almost all of  the players would be from Belfast, Cardiff, Sheffield and Nottingham, with the odd player from the other teams.  I think that @MonkeyHead had the same issue, but I'm happy with a flat 10 teams to start with. 

Quick Q - do you know how to replace the Stanley Cup in the play-off bracket?  I can have a go at making the play-off cup if it helps?  It's really basic, so I could probably cobble together a few different pixel art trophies to get something that looks about right.

3 hours ago, UltraMagnus said:

Yeah. I know where to change that. Just send me the image you want to use.

Do you think this would do the trick?  It is a transparent .PNG and is a stylised version of the play-off cup that I found on Google and messed with / tidied up.  I could not find a good photo of the cup but I suspect that it does not matter once it has been processed and shrunk to the size of a stamp!

EIHL Play-Off Trophy V1 (PNG).png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Just to give you guys a heads up on the progress for EIHL (NHL94) should be completed this weekend, or by Monday at the latest.

Completed:

• 1st Splash
  • 2nd Splash
  • Main Splash + Logo + GBR Logo + EIHL logo
  • Announcer
  • Record Logos (EIHL+GBR)
  • Home + Visitor Banners
  • Team Banners
  • In-game Ticker

To Complete:

• Player Cards (4 of 10 completed)
  • Center Ice (0 of 10 teams)
  • Team Logos (0 of 10 teams)

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, UltraMagnus said:

Just to give you guys a heads up on the progress for EIHL (NHL94) should be completed this weekend, or by Monday at the latest.

Completed:

• 1st Splash
  • 2nd Splash
  • Main Splash + Logo + GBR Logo + EIHL logo
  • Announcer
  • Record Logos (EIHL+GBR)
  • Home + Visitor Banners
  • Team Banners
  • In-game Ticker

To Complete:

• Player Cards (4 of 10 completed)
  • Center Ice (0 of 10 teams)
  • Team Logos (0 of 10 teams)

@UltraMagnus - Once it is done (no rush!), would you mind DMing me the ROM before it is posted here?  I have spotted a number of typos in player names and, after removing the spare goaltenders for Manchester Storm and a couple of other teams, the lines have gone awry.  It won't take me long to fix but it's probably worth doing before the ROM goes live.  Thanks!

• Love 1

@MonkeyHead - I have had the pleasure of having a couple of games of the '94 version this evening (I needed to correct a few typos before @UltraMagnus posts it) and I am loving it!

Honestly, the boy is a genius and I will be updating the ROM every year now once the season starts. 

giphy.gif

• Love 2

23 minutes ago, LaTormenta said:

@UltraMagnus - I forgot to send this to you a while back.  I think I knocked it together when I did a load of custom covers for the other ROMs on the site. 

NHL 94 - Alternate Covers - EIHL - 2019-20 Edition (Draft).png

I still think this looks better. Oddly, similar though.

EIHL '21 (94).jpg

Edited by UltraMagnus
  • Love 1