NHL'94 Forums

King of '94 IV (Toronto) - Epilogue & Feedback

IAmFleury'sHipCheck

Here is my feedback for the latest rendition: King of 94 IV in Toronto.

Halifax and Smoz do an amazing job, of course.  I figure these two must have to go into hibernation for two weeks after all of the effort that must go into putting this thing together. And Sroka was great with the stream.

Some quick Pros and Cons:

PROS

• 2 day event (with a dedicated day for Sega and one for SNES)
  • Stream
  • Facility itself (very modern and professional) *
  • Those CRTs!  They were great quality -- big, and in great condition for the most part.
  • Organization (getting games in, and scores in, seems better/easier than ever)
  • Got lots of games.  Having a minimum of 6 games is cool. I think I had 12 games (made it to Round 3)

CONS

• Location (so far outside of Toronto) *
  • No beer! *
    * In short, the facility itself is amazing, but the location/alcohol sitch knocks it down considerably.
  • Too few locals came out
  • Wish more forum dudes made the trip, too
  • Cost: $50 seems pricey. I wish it was like $15, just to cover expenses, and no (or little) prize $$

On a personal level, Atomic and I (who live in Toronto) got a hotel room for Friday night, thinking there would be some games happening, and to save travel time the next day.  In retrospect, we should have booked a hotel for Saturday.  After the Sega events Saturday, if we had a room, there would likely be more social games happening, plus we could have had place to relax after we got eliminated.  I went home -- which took 90 minutes!! -- and was too burnt out to make it out again on Saturday.  (I had the stream on from the comfort of my own home as soon as I got home, and it was awesome to watch!  Especially the finals between AJ and Raph.  Best finals ever, "in your life!", to quote Hali!) Note to self: Book hotel for day of the Sega event if it is in Toronto again.

And I do selfishly hope the next one is in Toronto, too, but we need to get the beer sorted! :P

Edited by aqualizard
  • Like 2

Leagues are Dead.:electric_shock:

Forum is Dead.:electric_shock:

AIM is Dead.:electric_shock:

Gens is Dead.:electric_shock:

:big_smile:Kof94 One = Perfect.  Why did anything change?

Downtown, HHOF, Mikey, Toronto, Air Canada, Craziness, Triple elimination, Real Sports, Blue Jays vs Yankees, All the Best players and Best Guys.

:scorn:Kof94 Two = Uh oh we forgot to have it.  HUGE MISTAKE and loss of Momentum.

:unhappy:Kof94 Two Part 2 = Nice try.  Good Idea and could have been awesome, but went to dead part of Vegas (did anyone consult the guy from Nevada).  East Coast Bias and Eastern guys did not come in great numbers, Stupid format begins, Movie is late and still not complete.

:anger:Kof94 Three = Horrible.  Format stunk, Venue Stunk.  Nobody came.

:electric_shock:Kof94 Four = No thanks.  Video game geek venue.

94 use to feel like hockey, now it feels like video games.

I hate video games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have to think that this weekend's King of 94 tournament can only be labelled a great success, congrats to @kingraph and Mikail on the championships (Mikail's 2nd) , and @halifax and @smozoma for organizing another great event.

This was my 2nd King of 94 tournament (attended the 1st in Toronto 2015), and my 3rd competitive tournament overall. Without question, this one was stacked both days with incredible talent. As they were announcing our group of 8, it seemed like I knew them all from the forums... @corbettkb, @smozoma, @aqualizard, @Coffey, myself and 3 guys unknown to us. As it turns out, Nick (Thrillhouse) was the best of the bunch and took 3rd overall, with @corbettkb, @smozoma, @aqualizard and myself slotting in the top 10. Both finalists came out of different groups, but our group of 8 accounted for 50% of the top 10 finishers.

We played 6 randomized round robin games (*randomly excluding 1 player from your group), 3 home and 3 away so there were no coin flips. You needed to finish with a .500 record to advance to the bracket play (top 16). I managed my 3 wins in 4 games, and was lined up against @corbettkb in game 5. We had played a couple of exis pre-tournament, and there is a lot of history here with online leagues and tournament games played in Green Bay in 2018. I picked the match-up HFD/NYI and he won by a 5-2 margin using NYI. My last game of the RR was versus Nick, who wanted to play on the stream. He picked the CHI/BUF match-up and I grabbed CHI as the home team. The game went to overtime, with Nick scoring the winner. Looking back, I guess things may have gone different if I had managed to squeak out that OT winner, because I was matched up against Nick again once the bracket play opened up.

I was pretty thrilled to have made the top 16, given that I'd just missed the cut in the first Ko94. At this point, I knew Nick was pretty good - but maybe didn't peg him for a guy that could make the run that he did. Our first game, I picked a WPG/QUE match-up and we played a close 5-2 game with Nick coming out on top. Second game was an 8-3 blowout, TOR over LAK. That put me in the "loser bracket" and I waited for my next series opponent.

I wandered over to chat with @AtomicRaven, who I had yet to actually meet in person. He'd lost his opening series as well, so we were busy commiserating when it was determined that we were matched up against each other in the next series. Double elimination here, so one of us was going to knock the other out of the tournament. We grabbed a set-up, were joined by @aqualizard, and proceeded to hammer out 2 games CGY/VAN and BOS/LAK which I managed to eke out by 4-2 and 3-1 scores. We shook hands and I awaited my next series in the bracket.

Looking at the remaining players in the "losers bracket" was a real wake-up call, @kingraph got knocked down by @smozoma, @aqualizard was fighting to stay alive after getting knocked down by @IAmFleury'sHipCheck (who had just been knocked down by @angryjay93). My opponent ended up being Kevin B, who I'd never met - but was ranked #6 in the field. I managed a single win against Kevin, who ousted me in 3 games. Kevin went on to face @IAmFleury'sHipCheck in the next round, losing in what turned out to be an excellent run of games by the forum veteran who also goes by "EA". 

A quick note about "EA", if @halifax is the visionary that pulls this all together, and @smozoma is the brains that puts it all in a spreadsheet and brackets - then "EA" is the heart. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a great competitor, and played some incredible NHL94 this weekend. But he also goes out of his way to make everyone feel welcome, draw people into conversations, and introduce them to others. Whether intentional or not, that is what builds great communities, and that's what I witnessed for two full days this weekend. Guys smiling/laughing and having a generally good time during the early match-ups, and hanging around together to witness the excellent games played at the finish.

If you haven't watched the finals for either Sega (Twitch link) or SNES (Twitch link), do yourself a favour and hit the links. Halifax's call in both series was on par with anything I've witnessed in a televised championship event. 

The good:

Venue was obviously a dream for hosting (didn't need find/bring TVs), and streaming (place literally had it's own production room)

The return of a lot of top players from the previous Toronto tournament, PLUS a good number who competed in Vancouver

The "could be better":

Better co-ordination of hotels - somehow ended up with players in 4-5 different hotels in the area

A limited number of eating options - basically pizza/subs nearby

The bad:

No beer (but I didn't hear many complaining)

Venue is a trek from the airport AND downtown, making travel difficult without a rental car

Edited by jer_33
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

I hate video games.

That's unfortunate Coach, you were definitely missed this past weekend.  I get your angle, but the fact is that NHL'94 IS a video game, and a venue that caters to video game players was actually perfect for this event.  Granted, Waves may have been a Taj Mahal for our backyard BBQ, but it was still very, very nice!

You know that @halifax, @Edge of '94 Midwest, @smozoma, myself and anyone who runs retro game tournaments appreciates constructive feedback to try and make these events better, more efficient, more fun for all, etc.  Especially from guys like you who are good to the community.  It's a team effort from all of us.  Your post really just shit all over everything, and that doesn't do any good to anyone.  I think we also hashed out why KO94-1 had many flaws, mainly triple elim format, so I won't go through that again.

I have to gather my own thoughts as well to post later, but am just surprised to hear you be so upset at everything '94.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoachMac said:

Leagues are Dead.:electric_shock:

Forum is Dead.:electric_shock:

AIM is Dead.:electric_shock:

Gens is Dead.:electric_shock:

:big_smile:Kof94 One = Perfect.  Why did anything change?

Downtown, HHOF, Mikey, Toronto, Air Canada, Craziness, Triple elimination, Real Sports, Blue Jays vs Yankees, All the Best players and Best Guys.

:scorn:Kof94 Two = Uh oh we forgot to have it.  HUGE MISTAKE and loss of Momentum.

:unhappy:Kof94 Two Part 2 = Nice try.  Good Idea and could have been awesome, but went to dead part of Vegas (did anyone consult the guy from Nevada).  East Coast Bias and Eastern guys did not come in great numbers, Stupid format begins, Movie is late and still not complete.

:anger:Kof94 Three = Horrible.  Format stunk, Venue Stunk.  Nobody came.

I hate video games.

This post is disappointing to read on so many levels. 

The time, money and effort that goes into putting these tournaments together is a ton.  

I could go through and comment on each one of these points to show how we’ve made improvements to the overall experience but it’s not worth my time.

This tournament was the best one we’ve ever had. 

Its the most fun I’ve ever had.  

I watched some of the best Nhl’94 I’ve seen.

It’s clear that we have for a vision for how king of 94 should be that isn’t aligned with how you want it to be.

So it’s unlikely that I’ll get to hang out with you at another king of 94. And that’s what’s disappoints me the most. 

• Like 2

Constructive criticism has its place and it is something that's needed to grow, but I'm going to have to side with fellow organizers here.  The amount of work that goes in year round to investigate and promote these things is insane.

I wasn't in this community during the 1st event.  Perhaps it was lightning in a bottle, but I think Halifax has done everything he can to keep this going in the right direction.  He has national sports news coverage, many of the world's best players in attendance, and a venue that seems to have been well received.  I still believe growth for this game is possible.  Just look at pockets of success and interest in the past 3 years out of Vancouver, Chicago, and Green Bay.

Let's look at the positives regarding the traveling idea.....

Vegas introduced everyone to Jamil, and one of the best Genesis series that's ever been witnessed.  What a storyline that was.

This led to the Vancouver tournament, which brought Daf and his fan club to the show.

I've put my foot in my mouth regarding overly criticizing things.  I think these thoughts are better communicated privately.

The only criticism to the tournament is that I couldn't stay connected to streams for 12 hours a day lol.  I'm sure the guys there didn't mind it.

Thanks for doing everything you guys do @halifax @smozoma Sroka, Raph, AJ, and anyone else who was pitching in.  It was a pleasure to witness.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CoachMac said:

Sorry.  I'll crawl back in my cave.

And if you know Coach, he literally will go crawl back in a cave... most likely that he dug out with a pick axe on the side of a mountain. haha

Coach, not sure what to say about your response here.  You were spoke about in the highest regard this weekend as your presence was definitely missed but that post is not a good look.  Are you reading too much Nietzsche up in those mountains with all this " *fill in the blank* is dead" talk???  What''s going on here? 

Surprised to hear you say Kof94 III was horrible.  You didn't have a good time when we went out to eat, you and Jill talked teacher stuff, I heard all about how you made it to Nevada with your wife, to hear all about your kids and their adventures, when we watched your Blue Angels video, the exis in the room, good laughs with even greater buds?  I don't know man, to me, I can't thank @halifax enough... Kof94 is the reason to bring us all together but you know it's more than the event itself that makes just as many memories.

I'll be back soon to post my recap.

• Like 2

I dont think Coach is too far off base.  Though I thought Vegas & Vancouver were fun, each also having their own plus & minuses.  

First, all the people that put work into the event were amazing.  As to the venue, yes it is setup very well to assist the organizers and there is a big benefit in that however the location of the venue leads to seeking as quick of an exit as possible from that location.   There is nothing around there.  Did suck with people at 5-6 different hotels as there was no hotel close to the venue (or food options).  Will be interesting to see, will this event now only just be in Vaughan Ontario moving forward?  

With that said, of all the trips I took this summer, this one was easily the most fun.

• Like 3

My 6 million cents:

Firstly Halifax you are the man!  Seriously dude, you have another career in sports broadcasting I think!

My thinking is that while yes NHL94 is a video game, it is a video game that olde guys play, and olde guys want to have their fun AND play video games.  We aren't 20 yr old Borknite players.  I think most folks going to this and any event also want entertainment, and the location of Waves eGaming is just not good for that.

The no beer situation, while not an issue for some, others like myself,  would've totally kicked back and had a few Saturday after I was literally ROBBED of the title. 

Good thing was I had an hour and a half on the bus ride home to cry about it!

BTW, This place downtown could be a good alternative in the future:  https://thehiveesports.com

Edited by AtomicRaven
Borknite
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I always say my favorite part of these tournaments is hanging out with my '94 community buds and meeting new '94 fans.   That stays true for this year -  @IAmFleury'sHipCheck, @angryjay93, @jer_33 @aqualizard, @AtomicRaven, @smozoma, @corbettkb, @annatar, @Bob Kudelski, @halifax, @Coffey, @CamKneely, and @clockwise to name those I can remember.  Always good times hanging out with you all, and never enough time.

Other familiar faces from these events were BigE and KB who I've met the last few times, they are the Boston crew. Kevin Federline from the SNES side   The Chicago boys, DPS (Deeeeetroit Basketball), Slapshot Sean and the legendary Tecmo Mort are always having a good time and represent a larger piece of the retro gaming community.  (Apparently I really suck at NBA Jam)  New buds like "who the f is Nick" (TK reference from stream) who played awesome and was fun to talk with.   The Stantonator, who put a good run in SNES!  Sean from the Duke of 94 was funny, Trent, Jamie T and everyone else who I got a chance to play, chat and talk '94 with!

I really had a blast, and of course wish that more good buds could have made the event. 

Other feedback:

Venue: A-.  Waves EGaming was literally built for this kind of event.  I thought it was fantastic.  As mentioned, CRT TVs, projector screens, gaming chairs, PA system, drinks, snacks.  More than enough setups!  Nothing missing from this venue.  I give it a minus only because you can't have beer there.  It doesn't matter much for me as I don't drink during these tournaments, but it would be a nice to have for those who do. 

Location: C.  Similar to what people said already, Vaughan Ontario is parking lots and corporate offices.  Pretty lousy area, with not much around.   Hotels were all far away, and for whatever reason we had multiple hotel locations.  Good part is it's only about 15 minutes from the Toronto Airport, and there's a way to get there with public transportation.  

Stream set up: A+. @Coffey did an AMAZING job.  3 microphones, two games captures, switchboard, multiple cameras, etc.  This is probably as professional as it can get!  I had a lot of fun hopping in to do commentary, and listening to others like Hali, AJ, Jer, EA, etc adds to the viewing fun.

I would suggest some more thought to the stream format if possible.  Again, I think it was A+ to have everything there, but there can be some thought ahead of time to figure out a schedule of what will be streamed.  That would give clarity and keep things organized as well.

- Streaming Round Robin group play
 - Player interviews after a loss/win
 - Bracket updates
 - More in-depth player discussion during breaks (maybe replays?)
 - Quarters/Semis/Finals Game Stream
 - Post game

I'm not suggesting it all falls on Sroka or whoever is handling the stream.  I am just thinking of ways to keep viewers informed throughout the day in an easier way.  Maybe an overall schedule and progress bar-type thing.

Tournament Format B. 

I really liked the new rule where you have to use different team matches in your series.  I didn't think of it much at the time, but it was pretty cool during the tournament. 
* I definitely prefer a swiss (or similar) style round robin vs. the pre-selected groups.  I know it's harder to administer, but I think it's worth considering as the benefits are substantial.  With a giant screen display, it's definitely easier as we did that in NYC and Green Bay.  
* I don't have any good suggestions as to HOW to do this yet, but the tournament is a few hours too long.  There must be a way to shave 2-3 hours and still keep people happy.  I'm just not sure if it's an organizational thing or just the double-elim format.  Definitely wasn't due to lack of set ups!
* I like the best of 3 each round.  Maybe losers bracket only goes single game until the semis?
* Coin flip with team selection seems to work well. 
* Would have liked to have the suggested matchups printed ahead of time for people who don't know at each setup.

Other suggestions 

* Sprinkle raffles throughout the day vs getting 'em all out at once in the beginning.  It's a bit awkward and people are antsy to start playing.

* Food options listed ahead of time.

* Using the microphone/speakers (if available) to announce the tournament status, next matches, etc. throughout the day may have helped.

* Identifying admin roles and responsibilities clearly, and where there may be conflict (admin also participating) helps.  
 - Tournament Director / MC
 - Scorekeepers / Bracket Managers
 - Referees
 - Stream technical support
 - Stream announcers / broadcasters

I had a blast.  It's hard to get something perfect, but this was pretty close.  If this place existed in the Toronto area, had beer, and managed to shave 2-3 hours, that's about as good as a tournament can ever get!

• Like 7

Here's a few thoughts from a relative noob to the scene...

Venue

I thought the venue was perfect for the event. The CRTs, comfy chairs, projection screen to watch streamed games and the streaming setup were all top notch.  For people looking for stuff to do, I would suggest staying in downtown Toronto and "Ubering" to the venue.  That worked out perfect for Big E and I. It was approx a 30 minute ride and cost approx 35$ Canadian each way(which is basically free :D).  

Food and Alcohol

The lack of food options and alcohol kind of sucked although I think this could be an easy fix. I thought I heard some talk that Ewaves is looking into a liquor license. Not sure if that will happen. As far as food, I'd be willing to pay more for the event if the event were catered. Just a thought. Food trucks are kind of a big thing in the states right now, not so sure about Canada. But a local food truck could be a catering option too.

Choice of weekend

My only other mini-suggestion would be to try and plan the event for a weekend when there is a little more going on in Toronto. We looked into Bluejays (they were away) and Mapleleafs (preseason) but ultimately ended up an Argo's game. Argos were awesome but It would be cool to catch one of the major professional sports teams if the event continues in Toronto.

Final thoughts

I had a blast. Best weekend I've had in a while for sure. Halifax and Smoz did an unbelievable job setting up this event. Awesome to see all of you guys, KingRaph, AJ, Tex, EA, Aqua and the rest of you. I've only met Coach once but I was definitely looking forward to seeing him. I hope to see Coach and the rest of you at the next event.

• Like 6

PROS

1. The Jeremy Roenick personalized message before the start of the tourney
    • Could someone please share that story of how that came to be???????? @halifax
  2. Venue
    • So many CRTs (that were all a worthy size, nothing too small) – loved it and I know that’s hard to come by (thank you Smash community)
    • Lighting was ideal for play
    • Streaming booth was a great setup – location was nice but that equipment was a huge thanks to Sroka @Coffey to making that happen
    • EWaves Staff was super friendly – Laura couldn’t have been nicer and has an incredible passion for everything gaming. (Side story -- she left the Gens tourney a little early and even went home and watched the stream there. How cool is that?) 
    • I loved the big screen to watch the stream with all the sectionals in front to comfortably watch the games
    • The video game chairs were extremely comfortable to play in (it was a nice touch for the entire experience)
  3. 2-day format
    • First time going to the 2 day format and I have to say, I liked it a lot.  At any other Kof94 with both consoles going at the same time, I never got to spend any amount of time with the snes guys outside of watching the championship series.  This was a welcome change of pace.  I didn't compete in snes but it was a lot of fun to get to know everyone.
  4. Commentary & Play-by-Play
    • Thank you so much to @kingraph@Coffey  @halifax @angryjay93  for putting on some amazing calls during those games.  I wish more of the streamed games were broadcast louder to the crowd during the event b/c it was so entertaining.
    • Also, I don’t know if @Halifax has been practicing his commentating skills but it was impressive to say the least.  That gritty voice coming out when the intensity picked up … “Peter Sidorkiewicz is a house hold naaaaaammmmmmme!!!”. LMAO
  5. Seamless Tourney Organization
    • With the way @halifax decided to run the tourney really worked for me.  Then @smozoma& @CanadianDennis  executed the plan perfectly. I will be interested to hear the Smoz feedback b/c I can never tell if that guy is stressed out b/c he is so cool all the time.
    • I was happy to get away from the tier system and go to matchup calls
  6. Best of 3 for each match in the losers bracket
  7. Best of 7 championship series (including the player coming out of the loser’s bracket was down 1-0 for the best of 7 series)
  8. Preset round robin matchups saved so much time
    • Also, each person had 3 away games where you could not replicate a team in any matchup you called was a great idea
  9. Homewood Suites Hilton suite – hotel was great and great space for exis
  10. The addition of Duke of 94
    • I would be curious to hear more feedback but it really seemed like a positive addition.  Great idea to whoever came up with that!

CONS

NOTE – Honestly, this con list is more tweaks to consider than anything. I actually found myself backing over most of the points listed below b/c I’m fine either way.

I don’t want to mention anything that could be taken as negative without providing a potential solution.  At the very least, I’m hoping my input will cause further discussion on how we can make Kof94 even better than it is today

1. I am back and forth on this issue.  Vaughan is a weird place.  It’s a cookie cutter commercial area with an expansive cement suburby sprawl but without the actual homes.  Access to the event or anything around the hotels will be an uber ride.  However, Uber is pretty cheap in Canada right now and while the location was not the most convenient, once you’re at the venue, all you need is a lunch spot   

• Potential solution – coordination of a catered lunch or preordered lunch brought to the venue at extra cost to those who want to partake (or make the additional cost a requirement for the event)  I don’t think many would argue an extra US$10-20 to make that happen and there was plenty of room for a setup.

2. It would be nice if the event were in the middle of the action like Kof94-1 but honestly think back to that…  the venue and atmosphere were great but the setups to play were less than ideal with all the small LCDs at bar tables. Access to sizeable CRTs is a huge benefit.  The venue was a perfect gaming atmosphere

3. Also, while I wasn’t the biggest fan of Vaughan, what did I do in Toronto at Kof94-1 that was different???  Nothing.  I practiced in a suite with everyone, I walked to the event, I played at the event, I walked back to the hotel… the only thing that was different is that I smashed a SNES outside the hotel  4 years ago. haha

Venue

1. Food options -- It was limited but idea to make adjustment covered in 1a (I like the food truck idea that @KB27 mentioned)

2. Beer/Liquor

• At first I didn’t like the idea that it wasn’t a bar… until I walked into the venue and understood quickly how great this was going to work out.
  • And you know, the no liquor thing wasn’t a big deal, I just brought a bottle of rum in my bag and drank after the event with mixers that they had there.  There were other guys who brought beers in coolers, kept them in their cars right outside in the parking lot and would fill up to-go cups and simply bring them back in.  I think it would be nice if we could get clearance for beer sponsored event or BYOB type situation (which I believe fell through at the last second)

Recruitment

1. I think we all wish these were at the levels of Tecmo Madison and Smash.  Unfortunately, we are a unique community since our game of choice is split on 2 different consoles.  I hope people also understand that you have to be careful what you wish for.  If we double the size, then maybe there isn’t time for a best of 3 out of the losers bracket option.  More people will have to jump in to help coordinate on tournament day… It can’t be all Smoz and Canadiandennis!

2. But the participation level seems to be a consistent comment and if that’s the case, all of us should work on the recruitment efforts if we’re going to beef up the numbers at this tourney. 

• Potential Solution
    • Admins & community members discuss marketing ideas and how to execute far ahead of tournament date.
    • Maybe it’s something as simple as making a flier and having guys from the target city post them in key locations around the city… hipsters love retro gaming (at least in Chicago) and they would make great cannon fodder in the opening rounds.  Everyone needs some warm up, right?
    • Reaching out to leaders in tecmo/smash communities for ideas on marketing and what’s worked to scale their signature events.

Hotel coordination

1. As a group, we need better communication and commitment on accommodations moving forward.  Large house Air BnB with walking access to restaurants would be ideal. 

• I was happy with the suite that worked out at the Hilton but that was actually really lucky since I didn’t have that lined up until the day before I arrived.  The issue was everyone else was an uber ride away so we just need to be better coordinated moving forward

OVERALL

This year’s Kof94 exceeded my expectations.  @halifax I can’t imagine the amount of work that you put in to make this happen.  I felt like there were 3 Halifaxes running around… 1 running the tourney, 1 playing and 1 commentating.  I don’t know where you get the energy but I can’t thank you enough. (side note: what is the plural of Halifax?  Is it Halifaxes? Halifaxi? or simply Halifax -- like sheep) image.png

I loved the fact that Gens, for the first time, had a top 3 finisher that was from the local area.  Not easy to do with all the information that is available online.  Big congrats to Nick for the way he played this tourney and Jaime was no slouch either.  2 friends that came out and could play with any of us.  We may have to put an asterisk by their names though... I didn't realize these 2 use to play at KG's house 20 years ago. Who knew that @kgman's farm system ran so deep?!?!

I enjoyed the time to meet new guys.  The runner up from Duke of 94 with his gf were really cool people.  Hanging out with @aqualizardis always fun and now the addition of his partner in crime, @AtomicRaven.  I didn't get to play Atomic in the round robin but hopefully we can catch more games together next year. 

It was great to see that @KB27 Eric DL33 and the crew made it out from the east coast.  Those guys add a significant amount of talent depth to our player pool.

Congrats Voc Caged for winning Dof94... but next time, you play on the King side!

@angryjay93 thanks for rooming up this year, that was a lot of fun being able to play that insane amount of exis 2 days leading up to the tourney.  Thank you for always providing much needed insight to my game... it always helps.

Also, congrats to @kingraph for the bringing home the title this year.  @angryjay93 & @kingraph, that was one of the most exciting series to view and I always look forward to the opportunity to see you 2 square up against one another.  It really is watching next level 94.

@corbettkb @jer_33 I was happy I didn't have to face either of you in the tourney this year but maybe fate will have it for next year.  Still always great playing some exis against you.

So awesome that Chicago had such a great turnout this year with DPS, @mort, sean slapshot.  Congrats DPS on your big wins on Jam this year!  Hoping we can get Tom, Phil and the rest of the crew out next year.

@smozoma @CanadianDennis -- you guys are the unsung heroes at these tourneys.  Thank you so much for all your hard work over the course of the weekend to make things run smoothly.

@smozoma -- ggs in our semis my man.  I think it's fair for every 2 or 3 tourneys you knock me out of, I get to knock you out of one!

To the SNES guys -- @kfed @annatar @Bob Kudelski It was great catching up with you guys.  This 2 day format really lends itself to being able to hang out with you more. 

For those who didn't know,  @annatar came to gens exis on Friday night at my place and then watched the entire genesis tourney on Sat at the venue.. that is pretty awesome. 

How about everyone's newest best bud, Mike Stanton "The Stantonator"???  For those who don't know, he is from Vancouver and came out last year to Kof94-III.  He said that everyone was so great last year, that there was no way he was going to miss this year's tourney.  Not only did he compete in both formats, but he fought his way out of the WC to bracket play in Gens and he finished 4th in SNES the next day!  

image.png

I hope next year we can see @kgman @Mike Gartner @ZEPPELIN198 @IceStorm70 @Brutus @kevincabarello @Edge of '94 Midwest @skoolyardpuck @LeifErikson @darik(cobrakai jersey) @HABS(forget the keyboard bud and come hang out!)... of course @Evan

... and hopefully we can get @CoachMac back in the mix.  @angryjay93, please start working him now

I have to say there were a lot of highlights from the trip and a lot of great memories made but meeting @clockwise has to be near the top this weekend and one of the greatest highlights I've had since being part of the 94 community.

One of the great innovators on the site and longest time supporters of the community, it really was an honor.  I walked into the tourney with AJ on Sat morning and we walked by a guy who was setting up a console.  Without barely looking over, he says in this matter of fact way, "Hi AJ" "Hi EA".  I respond "oh hey man" and continue walking.  I walked another 20ft or so and turned to AJ "hey, who was that? I don't recognize him".  AJ responded that he didn't know either.  I think it was Raph that I asked and he responded "oh, that's clockwise".  I immediately ran over to greet the man.  So looks wise, he is nothing what I expected... he's about 6'3" and looks like he plays middle linebacker for the Steelers.  However, his personality is exactly what you would expect... a super nice guy, laid back, everything that you've come to know about him on the forums or playing online is the same guy when you meet him in person.  A class act all the way.  My only regret is not getting more 2v2 in with him but I'll make sure that happens in future Kof94s.

Post tourney 2v2s with AJ & Clockwise/Jesus

image.png

Edited by IAmFleury'sHipCheck
  • Like 7

On 9/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, aqualizard said:

Here is my feedback for the latest rendition: King of 94 IV in Toronto.

Halifax and Smoz do an amazing job, of course.  I figure these two must have to go into hibernation for two weeks after all of the effort that must go into putting this thing together. And Sroka was great with the stream.

CONS

• Location (so far outside of Toronto) *
  • No beer! *
    * In short, the facility itself is amazing, but the location/alcohol sitch knocks it down considerably.
  • Too few locals came out
  • Wish more forum dudes made the trip, too
  • Cost: $50 seems pricey. I wish it was like $15, just to cover expenses, and no (or little) prize $$

On a personal level, Atomic and I (who live in Toronto) got a hotel room for Friday night, thinking there would be some games happening, and to save travel time the next day.  In retrospect, we should have booked a hotel for Saturday.  After the Sega events Saturday, if we had a room, there would likely be more social games happening, plus we could have had place to relax after we got eliminated.  I went home -- which took 90 minutes!! -- and was too burnt out to make it out again on Saturday.  (I had the stream on from the comfort of my own home as soon as I got home, and it was awesome to watch!  Especially the finals between AJ and Raph.  Best finals ever, "in your life!", to quote Hali!) Note to self: Book hotel for day of the Sega event if it is in Toronto again.

And I do selfishly hope the next one is in Toronto, too, but we need to get the beer sorted! :P

Thank you for the recognition, I appreciate it. And thank you for all that you helped with.

The beer situation fell apart basically last minute. Post Game Brewing was going to have a site set up there but the liquor license was declined. He's thinking that it likely was because it was late applying for it and the type of facility probably never had one before so maybe there's more due diligence that's needed before they can approve it.

The guy is a solid dude. He literally drove for almost an hour to meet me at the hotel, just to give me some swag to give away. We talked for like a good half hour about  NHL'94. He's a huge fan of it and wanted to compete but timing didn't work out. But he certainly told me he was game for next year and setting up a booth in side.

I think the price is fair for this event. It basically gets you  10 games to play. $50 for 10 games is pretty fair. If costs is a concern still, then id recommend ply in the Duke. That's part of its purpose. Pay less money and still play some competition. I played in the Sega Duke and it was a ton of fun for me. I lost two very tight games and finished third but it was awesome.

• Like 3

On 9/24/2019 at 12:53 PM, kingraph said:

That's unfortunate Coach, you were definitely missed this past weekend.  I get your angle, but the fact is that NHL'94 IS a video game, and a venue that caters to video game players was actually perfect for this event.  Granted, Waves may have been a Taj Mahal for our backyard BBQ, but it was still very, very nice!

You know that @halifax, @Edge of '94 Midwest, @smozoma, myself and anyone who runs retro game tournaments appreciates constructive feedback to try and make these events better, more efficient, more fun for all, etc.  Especially from guys like you who are good to the community.  It's a team effort from all of us.  Your post really just shit all over everything, and that doesn't do any good to anyone.  I think we also hashed out why KO94-1 had many flaws, mainly triple elim format, so I won't go through that again.

I have to gather my own thoughts as well to post later, but am just surprised to hear you be so upset at everything '94.  

Thank you for shout out!

On 9/24/2019 at 2:28 PM, Edge of '94 Midwest said:

Constructive criticism has its place and it is something that's needed to grow, but I'm going to have to side with fellow organizers here.  The amount of work that goes in year round to investigate and promote these things is insane.

I wasn't in this community during the 1st event.  Perhaps it was lightning in a bottle, but I think Halifax has done everything he can to keep this going in the right direction.  He has national sports news coverage, many of the world's best players in attendance, and a venue that seems to have been well received.  I still believe growth for this game is possible.  Just look at pockets of success and interest in the past 3 years out of Vancouver, Chicago, and Green Bay.

Let's look at the positives regarding the traveling idea.....

Vegas introduced everyone to Jamil, and one of the best Genesis series that's ever been witnessed.  What a storyline that was.

This led to the Vancouver tournament, which brought Daf and his fan club to the show.

I've put my foot in my mouth regarding overly criticizing things.  I think these thoughts are better communicated privately.

The only criticism to the tournament is that I couldn't stay connected to streams for 12 hours a day lol.  I'm sure the guys there didn't mind it.

Thanks for doing everything you guys do @halifax @smozoma Sroka, Raph, AJ, and anyone else who was pitching in.  It was a pleasure to witness.

Thanks for the shout out.

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, IAmFleury'sHipCheck said:

And if you know Coach, he literally will go crawl back in a cave... most likely that he dug out with a pick axe on the side of a mountain. haha

Coach, not sure what to say about your response here.  You were spoke about in the highest regard this weekend as your presence was definitely missed but that post is not a good look.  Are you reading too much Nietzsche up in those mountains with all this " *fill in the blank* is dead" talk???  What''s going on here? 

Surprised to hear you say Kof94 III was horrible.  You didn't have a good time when we went out to eat, you and Jill talked teacher stuff, I heard all about how you made it to Nevada with your wife, to hear all about your kids and their adventures, when we watched your Blue Angels video, the exis in the room, good laughs with even greater buds?  I don't know man, to me, I can't thank @halifax enough... Kof94 is the reason to bring us all together but you know it's more than the event itself that makes just as many memories.

I'll be back soon to post my recap.

You're welcome. Thanks buddy!

On 9/24/2019 at 6:18 PM, corbettkb said:

I dont think Coach is too far off base.  Though I thought Vegas & Vancouver were fun, each also having their own plus & minuses.  

First, all the people that put work into the event were amazing.  As to the venue, yes it is setup very well to assist the organizers and there is a big benefit in that however the location of the venue leads to seeking as quick of an exit as possible from that location.   There is nothing around there.  Did suck with people at 5-6 different hotels as there was no hotel close to the venue (or food options).  Will be interesting to see, will this event now only just be in Vaughan Ontario moving forward?  

With that said, of all the trips I took this summer, this one was easily the most fun.

thanks bud.

I'm leaning to having it in Vaughn at ewaves gaming again next year. The venue is perfect for the tournament. Having access to all those CRTS (like 20 or 30) is a very big deal to me.

Complaints I've gotten from previous venues (dont like playing on the newer tvs, don't like that it was so squished and no room to move around, don't like that they couldn't watch the finals on a small TV). This solves all those issues, but I recognize it creates new ones.  New ones that I think can be addressed. 

Certainly the hotel situation was less than ideal. The consultant I dealt with was a nice guy but in hindsight I think giving three options just made things more spread out. Smoz and I talked earlier and he suggested perhaps finding an Air BNB somewhere between the venue and downtown to a bunch of guys could go in on. I know clock attempted this as well. But now that we know the situation and what we are dealing with, we know how to improve on it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AtomicRaven said:

My 6 million cents:

Firstly Halifax you are the man!  Seriously dude, you have another career in sports broadcasting I think!

My thinking is that while yes NHL94 is a video game, it is a video game that olde guys play, and olde guys want to have their fun AND play video games.  We aren't 20 yr old Borknite players.  I think most folks going to this and any event also want entertainment, and the location of Waves eGaming is just not good for that.

The no beer situation, while not an issue for some, others like myself,  would've totally kicked back and had a few Saturday after I was literally ROBBED of the title. 

Good thing was I had an hour and a half on the bus ride home to cry about it!

BTW, This place downtown could be a good alternative in the future:  https://thehiveesports.com

Appreciate the kind words. Play by Play hockey was my dream job. But I never stuck with it (my biggest regret in life).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kingraph said:

I always say my favorite part of these tournaments is hanging out with my '94 community buds and meeting new '94 fans.   That stays true for this year -  @IAmFleury'sHipCheck, @angryjay93, @jer_33 @aqualizard, @AtomicRaven, @smozoma, @corbettkb, @annatar, @Bob Kudelski, @halifax, @Coffey, @CamKneely, and @clockwise to name those I can remember.  Always good times hanging out with you all, and never enough time.

Tournament Format B. 

I really liked the new rule where you have to use different team matches in your series.  I didn't think of it much at the time, but it was pretty cool during the tournament. 
* I definitely prefer a swiss (or similar) style round robin vs. the pre-selected groups.  I know it's harder to administer, but I think it's worth considering as the benefits are substantial.  With a giant screen display, it's definitely easier as we did that in NYC and Green Bay.  
* I don't have any good suggestions as to HOW to do this yet, but the tournament is a few hours too long.  There must be a way to shave 2-3 hours and still keep people happy.  I'm just not sure if it's an organizational thing or just the double-elim format.  Definitely wasn't due to lack of set ups!
* I like the best of 3 each round.  Maybe losers bracket only goes single game until the semis?

* Coin flip with team selection seems to work well. 
* Would have liked to have the suggested matchups printed ahead of time for people who don't know at each setup.

Other suggestions 

* Sprinkle raffles throughout the day vs getting 'em all out at once in the beginning.  It's a bit awkward and people are antsy to start playing.

* Food options listed ahead of time.

* Using the microphone/speakers (if available) to announce the tournament status, next matches, etc. throughout the day may have helped.

* Identifying admin roles and responsibilities clearly, and where there may be conflict (admin also participating) helps.  
 - Tournament Director / MC
 - Scorekeepers / Bracket Managers
 - Referees
 - Stream technical support
 - Stream announcers / broadcasters

I had a blast.  It's hard to get something perfect, but this was pretty close.  If this place existed in the Toronto area, had beer, and managed to shave 2-3 hours, that's about as good as a tournament can ever get!

thanks buddy!

I think we may have to go back to single game in the loser round, but I think we can improve on on how games are completed. It needs more volunteers to help with score reporting and logging.

The morning is the best time to do it I think. With Sega it was a bit awkward because guys had already started playing when i realized that i forgot to give out prizes. Because even when i started calling out numbers there was was still a few people who didn't come up. For super nintendo it went by very quickly. EA handed out tickets while I wet over the details for the day. It work out much better that second day.

An inhouse mic is definitely needed.

I agree that roles need to be more clearly defined,

10 hours ago, KB27 said:

Here's a few thoughts from a relative noob to the scene...

Venue

I thought the venue was perfect for the event. The CRTs, comfy chairs, projection screen to watch streamed games and the streaming setup were all top notch.  For people looking for stuff to do, I would suggest staying in downtown Toronto and "Ubering" to the venue.  That worked out perfect for Big E and I. It was approx a 30 minute ride and cost approx 35$ Canadian each way(which is basically free :D).  

Food and Alcohol

The lack of food options and alcohol kind of sucked although I think this could be an easy fix. I thought I heard some talk that Ewaves is looking into a liquor license. Not sure if that will happen. As far as food, I'd be willing to pay more for the event if the event were catered. Just a thought. Food trucks are kind of a big thing in the states right now, not so sure about Canada. But a local food truck could be a catering option too.

Choice of weekend

My only other mini-suggestion would be to try and plan the event for a weekend when there is a little more going on in Toronto. We looked into Bluejays (they were away) and Mapleleafs (preseason) but ultimately ended up an Argo's game. Argos were awesome but It would be cool to catch one of the major professional sports teams if the event continues in Toronto.

Final thoughts

I had a blast. Best weekend I've had in a while for sure. Halifax and Smoz did an unbelievable job setting up this event. Awesome to see all of you guys, KingRaph, AJ, Tex, EA, Aqua and the rest of you. I've only met Coach once but I was definitely looking forward to seeing him. I hope to see Coach and the rest of you at the next event.

thanks buddy. It was good to see you again!

I looked into food trucks. None would come out because they demand high numbers. Just know that waves egaming has received my feedback and I told them if they had booze and actual food they would've made a ton more money. It's on their plan to expand on this. (They've only been open since november)

I can't remember now why we picked that weekend. I know that toronto film festival was  the week before and hotels get jacked up. I'll probably look at an october date again. Hockey and BBall will be underway. CFL is still on.

7 hours ago, IAmFleury'sHipCheck said:

PROS

1. The Jeremy Roenick personalized message before the start of the tourney
    • Could someone please share that story of how that came to be???????? @halifax
  2. Commentary & Play-by-Play
    • Thank you so much to @kingraph@Coffey  @halifax @angryjay93  for putting on some amazing calls during those games.  I wish more of the streamed games were broadcast louder to the crowd during the event b/c it was so entertaining.
    • Also, I don’t know if @Halifax has been practicing his commentating skills but it was impressive to say the least.  That gritty voice coming out when the intensity picked up … “Peter Sidorkiewicz is a house hold naaaaaammmmmmme!!!”. LMAO
  3. Seamless Tourney Organization
    • With the way @halifax decided to run the tourney really worked for me.  Then @smozoma& @CanadianDennis  executed the plan perfectly. I will be interested to hear the Smoz feedback b/c I can never tell if that guy is stressed out b/c he is so cool all the time.
    • I was happy to get away from the tier system and go to matchup calls
  4. The addition of Duke of 94
    • I would be curious to hear more feedback but it really seemed like a positive addition.  Great idea to whoever came up with that!

CONS

Recruitment

2. But the participation level seems to be a consistent comment and if that’s the case, all of us should work on the recruitment efforts if we’re going to beef up the numbers at this tourney. 

OVERALL

This year’s Kof94 exceeded my expectations.  @halifax I can’t imagine the amount of work that you put in to make this happen.  I felt like there were 3 Halifaxes running around… 1 running the tourney, 1 playing and 1 commentating.  I don’t know where you get the energy but I can’t thank you enough. (side note: what is the plural of Halifax?  Is it Halifaxes? Halifaxi? or simply Halifax -- like sheep) image.png

I have to say there were a lot of highlights from the trip and a lot of great memories made but meeting @clockwise has to be near the top this weekend and one of the greatest highlights I've had since being part of the 94 community.

One of the great innovators on the site and longest time supporters of the community, it really was an honor.  I walked into the tourney with AJ on Sat morning and we walked by a guy who was setting up a console.  Without barely looking over, he says in this matter of fact way, "Hi AJ" "Hi EA".  I respond "oh hey man" and continue walking.  I walked another 20ft or so and turned to AJ "hey, who was that? I don't recognize him".  AJ responded that he didn't know either.  I think it was Raph that I asked and he responded "oh, that's clockwise".  I immediately ran over to greet the man.  So looks wise, he is nothing what I expected... he's about 6'3" and looks like he plays middle linebacker for the Steelers.  However, his personality is exactly what you would expect... a super nice guy, laid back, everything that you've come to know about him on the forums or playing online is the same guy when you meet him in person.  A class act all the way.  My only regret is not getting more 2v2 in with him but I'll make sure that happens in future Kof94s.

Thanks again buddy!

The Roenick video was obtained by @davefmurray and he generously provided it to us. I had to keep this a secret for like 8 months.

Sidorkiewicz: HAHA. I don't really think about it to much. Just whatever comes to mind. I'm sure it would sound better if I did a little prep work.

The Duke of 94 format was a combination of some ideas that smoz and I were throwing around. The name was branded by @McMikey. I really enjoyed it. Here's what it did. Two of the guys that played in the Duke have said they're moving up to the King next year. One guy after going 0-6 or 1-5, said he wants to come back but to play in the duke instead. That tells me it's serving it's purpose. To encourage people to move up and give an option for those that aren't as good. So i think there's value there.

My hope is that when they TSN segment airs, that will create brand recognition for next year's tournament. there's people out there that don't know about us.

Halifax is a city in Nova Scotia. People that live there are called Haligonians. My name came about because I was too dumb to know what a forum was in 2006 when I signed up. So picked my city I was living in as a username. Very Lame I know.

Clockwise: I laughed at that story. I got the same reaction when I heard "Hey Halifax". I'm thinking "do i know you?" The "middle linebacker" was not what I was expecting, but in the end it was everything that I expected when we chatted. It was perfect.

• Like 3

I pretty much agree with everything  that @kingraph said. So instead of providing all the same feedback and suggestions, I'll just comment on a few different aspects of my experience.

1) Thanks

I just want to reiterate how much I appreciate those of you that put this thing together every year. From the head honcho and organizer, @halifax to the bracketologist and data guru @smozoma and his assistant @CanadianDennis, to the awesome streaming set-up by @Coffey. Also, the countless others who contributed in various ways to make this event a success. Thanks guys!

2) Forum buds

It was great to meet some more forum buds in person! Unfortunately I didn't make all the links between real world person and online forum bud. For example, there are guys that post a lot on here, that were at the tournament apparently, like @AtomicRaven, @aqualizard, and @CamKneely. I'm not sure if I even met them or not? I would have like to at least say “hey”. 

3) SNES Competition

Personally, I had a brutal showing. My KO94 performances are 3rd, 2nd, 8th... I don't like where this is trending. That said, I know where things went off the rails, and with a couple small adjustments, I'm very confident I will have a better finish in the next tourney.

Unlike KO94 (2015), I was actually quite happy to see Mikail win. He is a super nice guy, and to see him win again just validates all the hype he got for winning the first one.

That being said, it’s pretty clear that, unlike with Sega, there are more than a few different SNES players capable of winning the King of 94 title. Mikail has proven himself as probably the best live SNES player around. And Daf proved that Vancouver was no fluke, securing his second consecutive second place finish. But, in my opinion, SNES is still pretty much a toss-up between a number of guys. Which makes it pretty damn exciting, and nerve-wracking. 

Another interesting fact: for the second year in a row, no online player finished in the top three! (not counting Mikail and Jason as online players even though they may have dabbled in the past). I was trying to rationalize this in my head. I wonder if there are benefits to playing more games live, on the actual console, rather than online, on the emulator. The emulator might change timing, smoothness of motions, framerates, etc. I’m not sure the correct terminology. But going forward, I’m going to try and get some more live console games going. There aren’t many SNES guys around Ottawa, but @annatar is a short drive away, and @smozoma could probably be convinced to play some SNES (He’s actually pretty good from what I’ve seen).

4) The Stantonator! (Mike Stanton?)

He was awesome! I chatted with this guy Saturday night and he mentioned he came all the way from BC, on his own, just to participate in both tourneys, Sega and SNES, even though he wasn’t all that successful at KO94 III. I was impressed by his enthusiasm, but never did I think he was an actual threat. Boy, was I wrong! I ended up commentating his series with Kevin and he took the first game in OT, then lost game two in OT, before falling to the defending KO94 champ. Like I said on the stream, The Stantonator really made a name for himself. Later on, after I lost a tough three game series to Mikail, I had to face The Stantonator! He squeaked out a one goal victory in game three, to knock me out of the tournament, and he went on to finish 4th! What a great showing. I’m happy for the guy, because it was clear that he loves the game and the tourneys. One last thing I learned about him - he plays live with Daf sometimes. So I guess there’s something to be said for playing live games with great players.

4) NBA Jam (SNES)

I participated in the NBA Jam tourney. Although I like the game in principle, I don’t really play it. In fact,  I didn’t even know how to pass when my first game started. But somehow I won my first five games. I guess I just figured you have to find a guy that hits the three point shot consistently. For me, it was Muggsy Bogues and John Stockton. In the end though, I lost to the finalists, @DPS, and @etevans101. I couldn’t even compete with them. They are great at shoving the player without the ball, so they get super-injured and ineffective. I wasn’t so good at that. I probably won’t enter a Jam tourney again, so I can focus on ‘94. But I did enjoy the success while it lasted.

5) Commentary

At one point, I jumped on the mic and tried some commentary. I hope I wasn't stepping on any toes. For anyone that witnessed that, I apologize. I had the mic tucked under my chin so it sounded terrible, I have a monotone voice, and my humour does not translate so well to a live stream. But it was fun. If the opportunity is still available to me at future events, I'll think of a couple catch phrases, and make some improvements to my style.

Edited by Bob Kudelski
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

4) NBA Jam (SNES)

I participated in the NBA Jam tourney. Although I like the game in principle, I don’t really play it. In fact,  I didn’t even know how to pass when my first game started. But somehow I won my first five games. I guess I just figured you have to find a guy that hits the three point shot consistently. For me, it was Muggsy Bogues and John Stockton. In the end though, I lost to the finalists, @DPS, and @etevans101. I couldn’t even compete with them. They are great at shoving the player without the ball, so they get super-injured and ineffective. I wasn’t so good at that. I probably won’t enter a Jam tourney again, so I can focus on ‘94. But I did enjoy the success while it lasted.

Thanks for bringing up Jam. I signed up for snes but then I just gave my spot away to vocally caged. 

Big shout out to @CanadianDennis for basically taking over for me for snes jam. 

For sega, This took time out of my day that probably was not a good use of my time. 

I’d like to keep jam as part of the overall event but I think it would have to someone else to take it over and run with it for next year. it needs to be it’s own thing. It needs to have it’s own social media and everything else. I realized after this weekend that I just don’t want to dedicate the time to that moving forward.  

Few thoughts on @Bob Kudelski 's post (I won't quote it to save space)

-- I also was glad that Mikail won, and he did it in pretty dominating fashion (sweep over DAF).  That's pretty damn impressive, and yes, re-validates his KO94-1 win.  Dude is the best out there, no argument can be made.

-- I don't think it's online vs live per se.  SNES lends itself to being more competitive than GENS just from the gameplay, and perhaps if guys like @Grayto @Oilers442 and other top SNES online guys made it out, there would be more online players that made the finals/won.  Right now it's you and @annatar each year representing.  On the flip side, it would be amazing to see Mikail, DAF, Federline, Jamil, etc. play in SNES seasons online.  It would lift the entire SNES community.  Online GENS has had a way more active base over the last decade...so much information, strategy, players etc. that elevated the entire base of players.  I think current "B" players would have likely won or been competitive with "A" a few years back for sure.  So again, I think it's a combination of things, but I can't see how getting online experience would have a negative effect in live tournies.  

-- Your livestream commentary was making me laugh, and maybe that's because I know you enough, but the humor definitely came through to me.  You'd probably do well to pair up with a loud play-by-play guy like @halifax and then add your color commentary/analysis/ on top.  It'd be like yin-yang.  Either way, it was enjoyable for me.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kingraph said:

I can't see how getting online experience would have a negative effect in live tournies.  

I don't really think that playing online hurts, but I think more live, console gaming could help a lot. At least, I'm hoping it will!

21 minutes ago, kingraph said:

-- Your livestream commentary was making me laugh, and maybe that's because I know you enough, but the humor definitely came through to me.  You'd probably do well to pair up with a loud play-by-play guy like @halifax and then add your color commentary/analysis/ on top.  It'd be like yin-yang.  Either way, it was enjoyable for me.  

Thanks man. I would love to do some colour commentary with the legendary @halifax. We would be like Bob Cole and Harry Neale, but minus the Leafs bias.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

I don't really think that playing online hurts, but I think more live, console gaming could help a lot. At least, I'm hoping it will!

Thanks man. I would love to do some colour commentary with the legendary @halifax. We would be like Bob Cole and Harry Neale, but minus the Leafs bias.

my whole cast was biased bud. I got called out in it. Next time I’m just talking about @smozoma the entire time.