NHL'94 Forums

94 vs 93 code question... blood and fighting?

Gents,

Just a silly and simple question based on a broad assumption. The assumption is that NHL 94 is based upon the code from NHLPA 93, or at least there are similarities, overlaps, and potential compatibilities between the two games. If this is true, is there any way of plucking the fighting from 93 (actual fighting and resulting penalty) and drop it into the code of 94? How about the blood injuries from 93?

I have wondered this for years as I have been a keen but quiet follower of the NHL 94 modding scene. What has been accomplished with mods over the years is truly staggering. A fight add-on would be an incredible addition.

Apologies if this has been tackled before as a question or is simply naive.

I redrew all the sprites or animations in the game a long time ago, and they ones for fighting aren't in the game. So, it really  wouldn't matter if the 'code' for fighting is even in the game or not, and I don't believe it is.

Adding blood back to injuries is pretty simple to do.

@clockwise, in theory you could also lift the fighting sprites from '93, add them to an empty space in the ROM.  Then the fighting code could reference the correct sprites.

I imagine there is some "if" statement trigger, and it would jump to the fighting routine code, which also includes the fighting sprites.  

This sounds easy, but would be massive undertaking.  Massive.

• 4 months later...

You know what, I think I'd rather put the one-timer in the NHLPA93 rom than fighting in the NHL94 rom. I've always liked the fact that there seemed to be more ways to score on '93. It was easier to score blue line slapshots, putting the puck between the legs with standard shots etc. A lot of these goals were kind of balanced ut on '94 probably to make the game a little more challenging and keep the scoring down which made that game a lot about setting up the one-timer and scoring with the deke move. I love both games, '94 is the classic one, but the one-timer and deke (if you avoid the cheap cross crease goal) are the situations you will want to setup since they are so much more effective than other ways to score. If you're up against a good opponent it is important to get quality chances and not give the puck up too easily and taking a good old slapper in NHL94 can pretty much be a wasted opportunity. On '93 this wasn't as much the case.

When the goalie has the puck in 93, do you get goalie control at that point? are you able to move him and pass? If so, maybe the 94 goalie button hack could be adapted to add basic goalie control to 93?

• Like 1