NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2020 Season ROM by The Sauce

Sauce

Hey Everyone,

Hooray, the new NHL season is here!!!  Just like last year, I am posting my "2020 Season Edition" for NHL94 2020.  It's an upgrade/update on my preseason version.

Here's what you need to know about the rom:

*Link for the ROM is below the in-game images. 
The "Winnipeg Freeze Bug" exists on this rom as it affects all 32 team roms in this forum.
*Includes the weight bug/helmet sprite patch/Smozoma 3 Stars of the Game hack.
*Each team has 3 goalies, 14 forwards and 8 defensemen for you to choose from prior to a game.
*This ROM is a “healthy/best case scenario” ROM.  That means, most injured players are in the line-ups and the lines/d-pairings may not be 100% what you see on opening night.  If you are not happy with a line combo or D pairing, feel free to change it.  :)
*Ratings based on a 3-year average.
*Shooting accuracy based on goals per game, not season shooting % (as there is no season mode).  Points, assists, hits and PM also based on per game averages.

*NHL Rookies/newbies are rated on the lower side, to start, as they must prove themselves.  I've made that mistake before and over-estimated.  If the rookie/newbies get better, throughout the season, it will be reflected on future roms. 
*Line combinations are structured as two scoring lines plus one "checking" or "shutdown" line. 
*OT is 60 minutes in length.  May the best team win!
*In v1 of the rom, the 32nd team is an 2020 NHL Prospects team (includes Alexis Lafrenière).  In the PO (Playoff) version of the rom, there are 32 NHL teams including the new Seattle Kraken.
*Kenny Albert serves the new “Ron Barr” in this rom.

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated! 

Cheers!

The Sauce

NHL20 Title Screen.jpg

Team Select.jpg

Panarin Scores.jpg

Hughes Scores.jpg

NHL94 2020 V1 - Season kick-off version (see rom details above)

NHL94 2020 v1.bin

NHL94 2020 Post-trade deadline/Playoff Version with the stamina decrease hack to reduce player stamina quicker for more frequent line changes.
NHL94 2020 vPO.bin

NHL94 2020 Post-trade deadline/Playoff Version with no stamina decrease hack
NHL94 2020 vPO no SH.bin

Edited by Sauce
Added Seattle Kraken to the PO rom. Included version with no stamina hack.
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 4

Just something to add to this...

This season, I changed up my approach to the rom vs prior seasons.  I compared player attributes/ratings, side by side, via excel files, to the original 94 version.  I did my best to try and mirror up the %s of various attributes (speed, agility, stickhandling, overall rating, etc) to the original in terms of overall distribution.  It's not identical.  Please don't go into it expecting some form of deja vu.  It's just similar in many regards.  I could never mirror it, exact, to the original as I disagree with some of the ratings in NHL94 (e.g - Brian Leetch should be a speed of a 4, not a 3... Luc Robitaille should be a speed of a 2, not a 4... Ray Bourque is rated too high in certain attributes, etc.).  This was probably as close as I am willing to get to the original as that version, is a classic all to itself.  Hopefully, you all like it. 

PS - my preseason rom, from last month, was the start of this concept.  This version is even closer to it as far as my ultimate goal.

Cheers!

Edited by The Sauce
  • Thanks 2

Great job; thanks! We really are spoiled having two NHL2020 ROMs. What a time to be alive.

Side note: Kenny Albert looks like he just sucked all the C02 out of a can of whipped cream. His photo probably needs to be updated. I'll report back once I play a few games.

38 minutes ago, clockwise said:

Great job; thanks! We really are spoiled having two NHL2020 ROMs. What a time to be alive.

Side note: Kenny Albert looks like he just sucked all the C02 out of a can of whipped cream. His photo probably needs to be updated. I'll report back once I play a few games.

lmao!  Yeah, he kinda does.  

It's on my to-do list to update his photo.  I updated all of the NLC photos, this year, after doing it last year (as well) so that took priority.

Thanks for the kind words!  I agree with you about the roms... Skip/Slapshot do a great job with their rom and because we have different approaches to ratings, it creates a rom buffet for folks.

Edited by The Sauce
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to post and say thank you to the OP (The Sauce). The fact that you keep NHL 94 alive with new roster updates, allows for so many new memories to be made with friends and fam. So once again, thank you so much for making it possible, you are the absolute best! 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, AlexGages said:

Just wanted to post and say thank you to the OP (The Sauce). The fact that you keep NHL 94 alive with new roster updates, allows for so many new memories to be made with friends and fam. So once again, thank you so much for making it possible, you are the absolute best! 

Hi @AlexGages

First and foremost, welcome to the forum/community!  This is a great place to be, surrounded by fellow NHL94 enthusiasts.  

Second, thank you very much for your kind words.  It’s always nice to be appreciated for your work/efforts.  There are many great roms within this forum.  It’s great that my work can be appreciated among the others.  I’m always a bit surprised when someone reaches out to compliment something I that posted.  I kinda feel like Wayne and Garth... “I’m not worthy, I’m not worthy.”  Lol

So, thank you again!

Edited by The Sauce

7 hours ago, JF31 said:

Awesome work once again! Thanks a lot for this!!

Thank you!  I’m glad you like it!

Edited by The Sauce

2 hours ago, Deac0nFr0st said:

Would there be a way to take the fighting code from NHLPA93 and put it into the NHL94/20 ROM?

in theory yes, but in the reality of 30-40-somethings with other stuff to do than spend 100 hours trying to figure it out, no

it's very hard to edit the code because it's not source code, it's the raw assembly code, without any variable names. figuring out just what code from 93 is the fighting code would be a lot of work to begin with. and then to actually copy the code over, adjust all the now-broken code links in the 93 code, and somehow attach the 94 code into the 93 code, and vice-versa.. and then also add all the sprites.. it's really really really hard.

Supposedly the fighting code is still in there but disabled or perhaps chopped up. So that could make it somewhat easier, but still really really hard. The sprites are definitely missing.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 1:30 PM, smozoma said:

in theory yes, but in the reality of 30-40-somethings with other stuff to do than spend 100 hours trying to figure it out, no

it's very hard to edit the code because it's not source code, it's the raw assembly code, without any variable names. figuring out just what code from 93 is the fighting code would be a lot of work to begin with. and then to actually copy the code over, adjust all the now-broken code links in the 93 code, and somehow attach the 94 code into the 93 code, and vice-versa.. and then also add all the sprites.. it's really really really hard.

Supposedly the fighting code is still in there but disabled or perhaps chopped up. So that could make it somewhat easier, but still really really hard. The sprites are definitely missing.

EA never released the full source code?

id software used to do that back in the day, release the older games open source code after the newer games came out.

1 hour ago, Deac0nFr0st said:

EA never released the full source code?

id software used to do that back in the day, release the older games open source code after the newer games came out.

No, they haven't. id is very much an outlier, and even then the decision to release the source code was controversial within id (it was mentioned in a John Carmack interview I listened to recently). EA isn't cool enough to do that :P. I don't think they even have the source code anymore anyway. Source control wasn't a thing back then.

Now, I realize there is a growing concern over Kenny Albert’s appearance but, if you google his image, he’s not exactly a pumpkinhead.  Lol

It will be fixed in a future release (as I plan to post 4-5 versions/updates, for this season, just like last season).

Edited by The Sauce
  • Like 1

The Kenny Albert headshot has been fixed.  I put him on an all carbs diet!

It will be in my next ROM update/post.

Tonights Matchup.jpg

KAlbert Headshot.jpg

Edited by The Sauce
  • Like 2

As we are now a little more than a quarter of the way through the season, I just uploaded V2 of my rom.  As always, special thanks to Slapshot67 for making this 32 team rom and all of his assistance in the past.

I did try to work on the "pulling the goalie only after a two goal lead" thing (see my other post regarding goalie pull logic) but, wasn't able to figure it out.  RAM tracing and codes just ain't my jam.  If someone else wishes to collaborate on it, PM me and we can see how I can be of help.  For now, that "glitch" will remain as it is not that big a deal.

In the meantime, what's new for V2:

* Updated headshots and combos for NLC - ARZ, CHI, COL, LA, NJ, NYR and OTT
* As seen above, I updated the Kenny Albert image
* Updates to several players as well as some new ones added (like Morgan Frost)
* Added/removed some prospects to the 2020 NHL Prospects team
* Removed Dustin Byfuglien as it doesn't appear that he will play this season.

Lines & D-pairings are not 100% accurate for each team.  However, they are lines/D-pairings that were (or maybe currently) used at one point.  Feel free to change as you see fit.  :)

For additional details on the ROM's setup, please review the original post above.

Cheers!

Edited by The Sauce
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hi again... I found an issue with the rom that I posted last night.  As such, I fixed it and just re-posted.  I apologize to anyone who downloaded it.  Feel free to download the latest version of the v2 rom.  As a Rangers fan, it is opportune for me because I also updated their lines to reflect Mika's return and what is being projected as lines 1 & 2 (based on today's practice).

Edited by The Sauce

• 3 weeks later...

As Taylor Hall was just traded to Arizona, and Ilya Kovalchuks contract was terminated by LA, I will have an updated roster release tonight.  More info to come...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 3:28 PM, DR1001 said:

Would anyone have a box art for this NHL 20 kicking around?

Sorry, don't have any.