NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2020 Season ROM by The Sauce

Sauce

Hi All - I just posted V4.  It reflects recent trades and the Kovalchuk signing (MTL).  

What's new:

*Tweaked jersey colors for COL and CGY.
*Updated NLC lines for EDM, CHI and VAN.
*Added the stamina hack so that lines/d pairings tire faster, when using line changes.  Line changes will occur more often in games that have longer than 5 min periods.  Not an exact science but I have seen improvement.  It has no barring on games with NLC.
*Altered my goalie ratings to no longer be structured in tiers.  Allows for better ratings.  
*Updated several player ratings.

4 minutes ago, lendogg81 said:

New to community.  Got a Sega Genesis mini for Christmas and it lead me to this forum.  I downloaded v4 and made the following cover art.  Enjoy.

nhl942020cover.jpg

nhl942020spine.jpg

Nicely done @lendogg81!

And, welcome to the NHL94 community!

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, lendogg81 said:

New to community.  Got a Sega Genesis mini for Christmas and it lead me to this forum.  I downloaded v4 and made the following cover art.  Enjoy.

nhl942020cover.jpg

nhl942020spine.jpg

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Trade Deadline ROM will be posted tomorrow.  It is essentially done.  I am just awaiting a few confirmations on some jersey numbers.  File and details to come...

• Like 1

Ok, so my Trade Deadline ROM has been posted on page one of this thread ("NHL94 2020 vTD").

What to know:

*Updated rosters and jersey numbers are of 2/24.  No Evan Rodrigues on the Pens due to roster structure limits (and Guentzel still being on the game roster).
*Lines and D-pairings are not exact in each case.  Feel free to change as you see fit.
*All injured players, who have not been officially ruled out for the year, are still in the active rosters.
*Players who are out for the season are in the game but not active.  Some, are still in the NLC lines (Erik Karlsson, Tomas Hertl and Jake Guentzel).
*Updated some Center Ice logos and Team Selection Logos (forgot which ones - lol)
*New NLC players and/or images for ARZ, BUF, CBJ, CHI, DET, EDM, FLA, LAK, NJD, NYR, OTT & WPG.
*Increased stamina reduction which allows more line changes for any game with periods over 5 mins in length (yes, CHK line can appear in period 1).

For all other ROM details, please review the original post on page 1 of this thread.  My next, and final, ROM post, for this season, will be the Playoff Edition.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, clockwise said:

Thanks man! First time in years I actually missed the trade deadline I've been so focused on work. Plan to get caught up by playing the ROM for a while this weekend.

Cool!  Hope you enjoy it!  It was fun to update it.  Of course, as soon as I replace Lundqvist with Shesterkin's headshot, for NLC rotating images, the kid gets into a car accident and is sidelined with a fractured rib(s).  The curse of the NY Rangers!!!  It's why Rangers fans can't have nice things.  LOL

1 hour ago, Gassoff said:

Love your roms. And I'm going to win the Stanley Cup with the Islanders! 

Thanks!  The Isles were one of the center ice logos that I fixed to no longer be "stretched".  Hat tip to Jkline for that suggestion.  I also updated their home jerseys (as best I as I could).  The blue may be a hair too dark, not sure... I need to play around with it.

Hi All!

So, unfortunately, due to the coronavirus scare/situation, we now have a suspended NHL season with no certainty for it's return.  So, to alleviate some boredom and/or hockey withdrawal, I am releasing a "Playoff Edition" for my rom ("NHL94 2020 vPO").  It's the playoff brackets as of 3/12/20.  So, if the season doesn't reconvene, these would be your playoff brackets (assuming there would be a playoffs).

What to know:

*There are two playoff brackets within this rom.  One, for the teams that would be in the playoffs as of today.  Two, those teams that didn't make it into the post-season.  As the west, for bracket 2, only has 15 teams, I added St. Louis to balance it out.
*Updated rosters and jersey numbers are of 3/12/20.  No Evan Rodrigues on the Pens due to roster structure limits (and Guentzel still being on the game roster).
*Lines and D-pairings are not exact in each case.  Feel free to change as you see fit.
*All injured players, who have not been officially ruled out for the year, are still in the active rosters.
*Players who are out for the season are in the game but not active.  Some, are still in the NLC lines (Erik Karlsson, Tomas Hertl and Jake Guentzel).
*New NLC players and/or images for PIT.  I made Matt Murray the starter (again) as many believe that he will be come playoff time (if there is one) as he has played better lately, has tons of post-season experience and Sully really likes/trusts him.
*I updated/tweaked jersey colors for all teams.  Some may be a little more noticeable then others if you have a older version of the rom.  I used a site that provides official team RGB colors to try and get the game colors closer to the actual colors (as best I could).
*Increased stamina reduction which allows more line changes for any game with periods over 5 mins in length.

For all other ROM details, please review the original post on page 1 of this thread.  If the season returns and we get a change in the playoffs seeding, I will release an updated version.

Enjoy!

Edited by The Sauce
  • Thanks 2

Howdy!  Caught two mistakes in my latest rom post.  I have fixed them and re-uploaded it.  I also added a couple of players and touched up some CI logos (for kicks and giggles). 

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Genesis Does said:

Do people still enjoy playing on original hardware? I put this ROM on an old EA cart and made a custom label. Plays great on my model 1 Genesis. :D

NHL (1).jpg

Wow, that looks really slick!  I love the label so much...so PERFECT.

I use en Everdrive cart to play custom ROMs on the console, but I have thought about getting the equipment to make carts many, many times.  I ultimately always decide not to because there's 1203128 "NHL'94" related things I want to do, so don't need another.  But your post is making me feel like going down that rabbit hole again.  :lol:

On that note, would you mind sharing your process -- equipment needed, etc?  Perhaps on a different thread, or PM if you don't want to broadly reveal your secrets!

12 hours ago, Genesis Does said:

Do people still enjoy playing on original hardware? I put this ROM on an old EA cart and made a custom label. Plays great on my model 1 Genesis. :D

NHL (1).jpg

Nice job @Genesis Does!  That's a really cool idea and it looks natural!

I just posted a updated version of the playoff edition of the 2020 rom (replaced the previous PO edition).  It's still the same playoff brackets as before.  I will do another post once we get past round one of the newly proposed 24-team NHL playoff bracket.  I will post round 2's brackets as well as update lines and d pairings as many injured players will be back for the playoffs.

With this re-post, I took the encouragement/advice of @Jkline3 and updated the majority of the center ice logos.  Many of them were stretched, especially any circle logos.  That's the case with the original NHL94 too.  So, I focused on them as it was a good suggestion on his part.  There were a couple of CI logos that I didn't re-size like the Winnipeg logo.  I don't think that it looks bad "as is" (in the rom) and re-sizing actually does make it look bad (IMO).  I also did some touch up to several others as well (albeit, minor details). 

I also updated some player ratings.  Minor stuff here an there, that didn't make it into the original playoff edition, that I had time to recently update.  I left the line/d pairings alone vs the previous version (for anyone who was using it).

Anywho...if anyone downloads it, enjoy!

Cheers!

Edited by The Sauce
  • Like 1

Just like my 3v3 rom, noticed a strange glitch/happenstance that I am currently fixing.  I have temporarily taken down both versions.  Not sure where the issue came from (wasn't in earlier versions of my roms) but it will be fixed soon.  I will re-post the Playoff version as quickly as possible.  Sorry for the issue and the delay.  Update to come...

3 hours ago, The Sauce said:

Just like my 3v3 rom, noticed a strange glitch/happenstance that I am currently fixing.  I have temporarily taken down both versions.  Not sure where the issue came from (wasn't in earlier versions of my roms) but it will be fixed soon.  I will re-post the Playoff version as quickly as possible.  Sorry for the issue and the delay.  Update to come...

Fixed and re-posted.  Working on fixing the 3v3 version and will re-post when I'm done.

• Thanks 1

I've got what I suspect is a very basic and dumb question, but I can't see to find this issue when I search the forums for the answer.  I'm running the v2 rom through the default Genesys emulator in Retro Pi, which I believe is lr-genesys-plus-gx.  When I play a new playoffs, win the first game, then get to the screen where it has the updated playoff tree with the 8 remaining teams, I hit start, then it takes me back to the main screen, shows continue playoffs with the game I should be playing next, hit start again, then it takes me to an all new playoff tree, with me playing as Tampa.  I feel like I must be missing something very basic here, but just can't get it to go to the next round.

4 hours ago, agander said:

I've got what I suspect is a very basic and dumb question, but I can't see to find this issue when I search the forums for the answer.  I'm running the v2 rom through the default Genesys emulator in Retro Pi, which I believe is lr-genesys-plus-gx.  When I play a new playoffs, win the first game, then get to the screen where it has the updated playoff tree with the 8 remaining teams, I hit start, then it takes me back to the main screen, shows continue playoffs with the game I should be playing next, hit start again, then it takes me to an all new playoff tree, with me playing as Tampa.  I feel like I must be missing something very basic here, but just can't get it to go to the next round.

Try a different emulator.  I use Kega Fusion and that doesn't happen to me.  Also, use the most recent ROM update.  It's better than v2.  :)

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I changed the default emu for genesys in retro pie and that solved the issue. (still haven't found where v4 is to download, but v2 is working great) Now the only issue is that I haven't played in so long that I'm terrible and the only way I can win is to stoop down to playing as bos and letting Marchand dominate.:) 

1 minute ago, agander said:

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I changed the default emu for genesys in retro pie and that solved the issue. (still haven't found where v4 is to download, but v2 is working great) Now the only issue is that I haven't played in so long that I'm terrible and the only way I can win is to stoop down to playing as bos and letting Marchand dominate.:) 

No prob.  I took down V2-4.  I left V1 as it has a lot of downloads so I guess folks liked it.  Lol

Im most proud of the latest version.  A lot of work went into it that most (maybe) can’t see.  A lot of changes/updates/things here and there that make a difference without being obvious.  In some cases, I call out updates to things like logos and whatnot but it goes beyond.  After two years of doing these, and a lot of experimentation, I am just now getting comfortable with my approach to the edits.  But, I took a lot of trial and error to now have such a format (that I like).

Glad to hear you got everything working on your end!  Cheers!

I might be wrong, because I downloaded a bunch of rooms and am getting them mixed up, but there was one I liked that had player ratings updated. For example (cbj fan) Elvis was rated low to start the season because nobody knew what he was going to do, but was better in a later version because he played well. 

Either way the whole thing is awesome and I love that people are passionate about it. Might try to get online play working within retro pie so I can play some friends. 

21 minutes ago, agander said:

I might be wrong, because I downloaded a bunch of rooms and am getting them mixed up, but there was one I liked that had player ratings updated. For example (cbj fan) Elvis was rated low to start the season because nobody knew what he was going to do, but was better in a later version because he played well. 

Either way the whole thing is awesome and I love that people are passionate about it. Might try to get online play working within retro pie so I can play some friends. 

Thanks!  

The good news is, the latest posted version (vPO) has him (EM) rated at his highest of any of the versions that I did (to date).

On 6/14/2020 at 3:12 AM, The Sauce said:

HI. 

In program nose, I do not see the Winnipeg team. Can you give me the rosters of all the teams, if it does not bother you?