NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2020 Season ROM by The Sauce

Sauce

56 minutes ago, dj_zagi said:

HI. 

In program nose, I do not see the Winnipeg team. Can you give me the rosters of all the teams, if it does not bother you?

It shows up in my version of NOSE (see photo).  The issue may be that you have outdated .ini files as they have to be the version that reads 32 teams not 30.  Check out this forum post, below, in regards to someone else having that same issue once upon a time.  That said, I recommend uninstalling it, downloading the latest version of NOSE (which now has the correct ini files) from this website and re-installing it. 

If that does not work, please create a new post in the Tools section of this website so that someone more versed in that tool can help you.  There is a forum page that addresses questions or issues related to the NOSE program.  It is better that you post your questions/comments there so that others can see it when they search for NOSE related material.
The NOSE section is located at:  Home > Editing & Hacking > Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Hacking > Tools > NOSE

NOSE & WPG.jpg

Edited by The Sauce

Hi everyone!

As a nice, little surprise, I have added the Seattle Kraken to my 2020 Playoff rom (NHL94 2020 vPO).  There is no longer a NHL Prospects team.  The Kraken players are based on the players from the 1917-1919 Seattle Metropolitans.  5 of them (Frank Foyston, Harry Holmes, Lester Patrick, Jack Walker and Gordie Roberts) are in the hockey hall of fame.  The Mets were the first US-based team to win a Stanley Cup which they did in 1917.  Around that time, Foyston was considered one, if not the, top skaters in hockey.  Some of the players got some games in the NHL once that league started up but, by that time, were near the ends of their careers.  I don't believe any of the players are alive today so, basically, you're playing with ghosts until the Kraken gets some players on their roster.  LOL.  Also, back in the early 1900s teams only carried 9-10 players so this particular roster has 2 goalies, 7 forwards and 5 defensemen.  The rest of the teams have the usual 3/14/8 structure. 

Because they are an expansion team, I gave them a low team rating (same rating as Detroit, which is the lowest for 2020).  However, they do have some good players on the team so it may not feel like an expansion team if you play as them. 

I have also added Seattle to the playoff brackets.  They open against  Vancouver.  :)  I also fixed a mistake in the brackets of my last PO rom (which this replaces).

If you have any questions or if you notice any errors, please let me know.  Enjoy!

Cheers!

VAN vs SEA.png

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Sauce said:

Hi everyone!

As a nice, little surprise, I have added the Seattle Kraken to my 2020 Playoff rom (NHL94 2020 vPO).  There is no longer a NHL Prospects team.  The Kraken players are based on the players from the 1917-1919 Seattle Metropolitans.  5 of them (Frank Foyston, Harry Holmes, Lester Patrick, Jack Walker and Gordie Roberts) are in the hockey hall of fame.  The Mets were the first US-based team to win a Stanley Cup which they did in 1917.  Around that time, Foyston was considered one, if not the, top skaters in hockey.  Some of the players got some games in the NHL once that league started up but, by that time, were near the ends of their careers.  I don't believe any of the players are alive today so, basically, you're playing with ghosts until the Kraken gets some players on their roster.  LOL.  Also, back in the early 1900s teams only carried 9-10 players so this particular roster has 2 goalies, 7 forwards and 5 defensemen.  The rest of the teams have the usual 3/14/8 structure. 

Because they are an expansion team, I gave them a low team rating (same rating as Detroit, which is the lowest for 2020).  However, they do have some good players on the team so it may not feel like an expansion team if you play as them. 

I have also added Seattle to the playoff brackets.  They open against  Vancouver.  :)  I also fixed a mistake in the brackets of my last PO rom (which this replaces).

If you have any questions or if you notice any errors, please let me know.  Enjoy!

Cheers!

VAN vs SEA.png

Thank you for adding the Kraken! Can't wait for this team to start playing next year. 

Hi Everyone!

I just noticed an unfortunate issue with the Playoff rom that I recently uploaded.  After I added Seattle, for reasons unknown, it messed up many of the team's lines and d-pairings.  I'm actually surprised no one noticed as it had many downloads and no one said anything about it.  I guess most folks don't play with line changes on.  Then again, I just finally noticed it.  Anywho, I went ahead of fixed it.  More than half of the teams were affected so I have made sure to review each one and put them back to what they were in the previous version (pre-Seattle).  I also used this as an opportune moment to add back in several players who were injured (back in March) and have recently returned for the playoffs.  So, the Pens now have Guentzel and St.Louis has Tarasenko, in the line-up, for example.  Perhaps, that will make this more enticing to download (again).  :)

I apologize to anyone to previously downloaded it but, at least it is fixed!

Cheers!

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 8:28 PM, DR1001 said:

Would anyone have a box art for this NHL 20 kicking around?

I knocked this up at the weekend, which I am currently using in Retroarch with my Genesis Mini.  I have tried to clean-up / replace the text and logos as I will use this as a template for future covers (but need to sort the "presents" and credits sections another time).

Matthews is there simply because he is the cover player for the current gen version of the game (at least in the UK), before anyone moans!

It will no doubt need resizing for use but this is the cover in its native size.  Hope it helps.

NHL 94 - 2020 Edition (Cover).png

Edited by LaTormenta
I spotted an error with the original image following the first upload. Fixed now.
  • Like 2

Sauce--Quick question, I just downloaded the newest PO version and noticed the endurance seems to weird. In other words, playing with line changes 'on' has my guys sucking wind after like 15 seconds, as evidence by the line change endurance bar. I didn't notice this before on any of your other roms and am curious if you changed something up. It's not the worst thing in the world as it gives the game a little more of a challenge. It's weird because the actual endurance ratings don't seem to be way off or anything. FWIW, I am playing as CGY against COL in a best of 7 series. 

Also, there is no way to change lines in the sega version if you don't control the puck, right? Sorry for the super simple question but I grew up on the SNES version where line changes seem much more player friendly. 

4 hours ago, bbb777 said:

Sauce--Quick question, I just downloaded the newest PO version and noticed the endurance seems to weird. In other words, playing with line changes 'on' has my guys sucking wind after like 15 seconds, as evidence by the line change endurance bar. I didn't notice this before on any of your other roms and am curious if you changed something up. It's not the worst thing in the world as it gives the game a little more of a challenge. It's weird because the actual endurance ratings don't seem to be way off or anything. FWIW, I am playing as CGY against COL in a best of 7 series. 

Also, there is no way to change lines in the sega version if you don't control the puck, right? Sorry for the super simple question but I grew up on the SNES version where line changes seem much more player friendly. 

Yup...mentioned it on the last page of this thread...I applied the stamina decrease hack to the rom but, I did that 2 or 3 versions ago.  So, nothing new.  I play with line changes and havent seen my guys get gassed.  They get tired faster, which is the point.  I wanted to allow for more frequent line changes in a game.  I was playing tonight (added Lafreniere to the Rangers - hehe) and didn't notice anything unusual vs what I have come to expect of it.  I'll check again, later, and if I see the same as you, I'll dial back the setting and re-post.

Unfortunately, no, it doesnt allow you to change lines without the puck.  That would be cool!  Hope you have a nice playoff series!

11 hours ago, Sauce said:

Yup...mentioned it on the last page of this thread...I applied the stamina decrease hack to the rom but, I did that 2 or 3 versions ago.  So, nothing new.  I play with line changes and havent seen my guys get gassed.  They get tired faster, which is the point.  I wanted to allow for more frequent line changes in a game.  I was playing tonight (added Lafreniere to the Rangers - hehe) and didn't notice anything unusual vs what I have come to expect of it.  I'll check again, later, and if I see the same as you, I'll dial back the setting and re-post.

Unfortunately, no, it doesnt allow you to change lines without the puck.  That would be cool!  Hope you have a nice playoff series!

Ah, ok--I totally missed that about the stamina decrease hack. Thanks for confirming that I'm not going crazy. I think I'm just so used to playing how the game typically treats stamina, that it just sort of through me off a bit, that's all. I'd say leave it as is. 

Also, congrats on that 1.1 pick. As a Flames fan, I'm more than happy to see that pick go out east. 

Edited by bbb777

18 minutes ago, bbb777 said:

Ah, ok--I totally missed that about the stamina decrease hack. Thanks for confirming that I'm not going crazy. I think I'm just so used to playing how the game typically treats stamina, that it just sort of through me off a bit, that's all. I'd say leave it as is. 

Also, congrats on that 1.1 pick. As a Flames fan, I'm more than happy to see that pick go out east. 

If you want a version of the rom, without the hack, PM me and I’ll send it to you.

Hello!  I have had some folks contact me about getting the playoffs edition of this rom with no stamina decrease hack.  I have posted a copy of it, along with the previous PO version, in the original post (page 1). 

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce

12 hours ago, tjans said:

Can you briefly detail what the freeze bug, weight patch, and helmet fix do? I come from the SNES side

Freeze bug: when on the main menu, if you pick some of the last teams (winnipeg etc) and let it display the players on the screen (which it normally shows after showing the team logo for 5 seconds I guess), the game will crash. This is because there's a problem linking the teams beyond the 30th with the player pictures and names. It might also crash if you try to scroll through the player pictures on the ran barr screen?

Weight patch: In the sega game, they got the checking calculation backwards, so that the light players can check the heavy players, rather than the reverse. The weight patch fixes that.

Helmet fix is something graphical, I don't know what.

Thanks for the replies, fellas!! Has anyone made an original ROM with the weight bug fixed on it?   As a long time SNES player, I'm starting to see the light on the Genesis version, and holy crap is this 2020 ROM amazingly well done.

1 hour ago, tjans said:

Thanks for the replies, fellas!! Has anyone made an original ROM with the weight bug fixed on it?   As a long time SNES player, I'm starting to see the light on the Genesis version, and holy crap is this 2020 ROM amazingly well done.

Yup.  The classic gens version has been released with the weight bug fix.  It’s listed as one of the available roms in the Master List of Gens 94 roms thread (in the Gens roms forum of this site).  So, where you are now.  Lol

I also recently did a version of the classic 94 rom that is post trade deadline 1994 roster.  It has the weight bug fix as well.  It had been done before but I did it differently and it has some nice new features to it.  It’s available in the Gens forum if you want a 1994 playoff vs classic (start of the season roster).  Either or... either way... classic versions with WB fix are available for download.

Thank you for your kind words on the 2020 rom.  I’ve already begun work in 2021 as December isn’t too far away!  :)

Edited by Sauce

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2020 at 4:06 PM, Sauce said:

Yup.  The classic gens version has been released with the weight bug fix.  It’s listed as one of the available roms in the Master List of Gens 94 roms thread (in the Gens roms forum of this site).  So, where you are now.  Lol

I also recently did a version of the classic 94 rom that is post trade deadline 1994 roster.  It has the weight bug fix as well.  It had been done before but I did it differently and it has some nice new features to it.  It’s available in the Gens forum if you want a 1994 playoff vs classic (start of the season roster).  Either or... either way... classic versions with WB fix are available for download.

Thank you for your kind words on the 2020 rom.  I’ve already begun work in 2021 as December isn’t too far away!  :)

Looking forward to it

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, 9phoneman said:

Can some one send me the rom that has the Seattle Kracken on it. I have the one with the 32 team as the NHL

Prospects. Or is the Seattle Kracken on the same game 

Can some one help. Thank you in advance.

It is available for download on page 1 of this thread (The Playoff (PO) version).    They are also included in my NHL94 2021 rom (separate post).

Edited by Sauce

• 9 months later...