NHL'94 Forums

How to fix Gens crashing full screen in Windows 7 & 10

clockwise

Seems like everyone who has Win 10 is unable to play full screen (alt+enter) without it crashing. Tried changing compatiblity mode to XP but the aspect ratio is wayyy off. 

Any ideas from the '94 brain trust?

I remembered that there was a version of Gens that didn't make the screen flash when it was launched (on XP) and generally had more visual settings. I used it for making videos years ago. Looked around and that version is Gens11b.
Stick tap to @kingraph as I found the link in this thread.

Looks like this is the Gens to use if it's for Netplay and you want to play full screen. 

Files (direct download)

Settings for Gens11b full screen from the toolbar:

1. Graphics > enable, 'Windowed Fullscreen'
    81iaaa5.jpg

2. Graphics > render > double. You can just maximize the window and the aspect should be correct. 
    eCOpY8f.jpg

3. Options > general. Disable the, 'Show frame counter' and, 'Show lag frame count' overlay. You can also update the full screen resolution to the resolution of your display.
    Tz8icsw.jpg

4. With these settings you should be able to play full screen (ALT+Enter)

Should be it. Let me know if anyone has issues with this working or not.

Note: 'TAB' doesn't work to reset the game in Gens11b. It's CTRL+SHIFT, R.

• Thanks 2

Not by default but it works with a hack. 

1. Download Gens11b, config the emulator as in the 2nd post. 
  2. Download gens-netplay-save.exe  to Gens11b folder and rename it to Gens11b.exe (renaming probably isn't even necessary).

There are settings added to Gens.cfg that are created that allow the game to go fullscreen without crashing when Gens11b is setup. I'll have to take a look at what the settings are when I have more time.

Update: see post below.

I suspect that gens-netplay-save.exe is acctually just gens11b gens.exe with saving allowed. no renaming is necessary.

in other words I don't think the config settings change teh screen behaviour, it's the particular version of gens (you noted it had a plethora of graphical options)

Well, I can fullscreen with it once the visual settings are updated with gens_netplaysave. If I just use gens_netplaysave.exe config file the emulator crashes every time when I switch to fullscreen.

Anyway, I attached gens_netplaysave with the updated cfg file from gens11b with 2on2 rom, classic 94 rom and the classic playoff rom. Also attached the config file for people who have everything setup and just want to drop that file in there so they can play fullscreen.

Gens.cfg gens_fullscreen_netplay.zip

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clockwise said:

Well, I can fullscreen with it once the visual settings are updated with gens_netplaysave. If I just use gens_netplaysave.exe config file the emulator crashes every time when I switch to fullscreen.

hm strange, not what i expected!

Thanks for figuring this out

• 3 years later...

I had the same issue. I tried changing the compatibility mode, but as you mentioned, it messed up the aspect ratio. However, I found a workaround that worked for me. I updated the visual settings using gens_netplaysave, and then I was able to fullscreen without any crashes. It's strange that just using the config file caused the emulator to crash, but I'm glad I found a solution that worked. I also tried a couple of tips I found on one subreddit related to windows 10 key cheap. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience and for figuring out a solution to this problem. It's always helpful to have a community of people willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Edited by LindaParker