NHL'94 Forums

Question about NHLPA 93' (ea or easn)

crossczech88

Got kind of a dumb question but I own NHLPA 93 for sega and mine says EA sports at the top and that is how it shows on the scoreboard, but yet most screenshots I see show EASN (ea sports network)on the scoreboard and the box reads EASN instead of EA Sports at top...did they re-release it or something at one point? I know ESPN tried to adopt that EASN and it never took off really. Just wanted to know why my copy differs from the ones I see on screenshots/youtube, etc. Other than the logos are there any other differences in the games? Is one better than the other? 

Thanks

Edited by crossczech88

ESPN felt that EA's EASN logo resembled it's own a little too much and threatened to take legal action if they didn't abandon the EASN brand name. There was also a short-lived EASN magazine, like, 5 issues. EA created the then-new, EA Sports logo for it's sports franchises in 1993.

• Thanks 1

No differences at all.

I have the Japanese NHL Hockey; NHLPA'93 sequel, and there aren't any differences in that game.

There is an Japanese, SNES version of '94. I don't believe there are any differences but I've never actually played the ROM. 

Yeah I didn't see any differences when I compared the ROMs. Other than the logo and I think the title screen has a blue goalie in one of them instead of orange/red or whatever, but that's about it. I never really paid mind to it until now and when I rewatched the movie Swingers and saw the EASN logo haha. I find myself playing my EA 93 more than 94 (and I LOOOVVE NHL 94) but scoring goals in 93 seems harder, but yet the goalies seem kind of stupid lol. 

nhlpa93.nhl94.com is the '93 part of the site if you want to check it out. It's actually the same style that nhl94.com used to be in - except it's red instead of blue - before nhl94.com was updated. 

It's dormant and I haven't updated it in years. 

On 10/19/2019 at 11:33 AM, crossczech88 said:

Got kind of a dumb question but I own NHLPA 93 for sega and mine says EA sports at the top and that is how it shows on the scoreboard, but yet most screenshots I see show EASN (ea sports network)on the scoreboard and the box reads EASN instead of EA Sports at top...did they re-release it or something at one point? I know ESPN tried to adopt that EASN and it never took off really. Just wanted to know why my copy differs from the ones I see on screenshots/youtube, etc. Other than the logos are there any other differences in the games? Is one better than the other? 

Thanks

I've got carts that say the same thing, plus they have a big red EA instead of the spinning pucks on the opening Splash screen.:big_smile:

I do think they are just later versions after the whole EASN thing.

I like the EASN and spinning pucks better, but cool to have both.

I have looked for other differences but never been able to find any, besides the in game timer, center ice logo, and the splash screen.