NHL'94 Forums

February 29th 2020 Edge of 94 Midwest Presents : Modano, Mo Problems Genesis/SNES Tournament! Powered by AV For You!

On 1/17/2020 at 9:44 PM, chaos said:

So this is a Mega Man hockey tournament now?

I'm sure if Capcom put their heads behind a hockey game, it would come out smelling like roses.

We needed something that didn't have Modano's likeness on it for mass marketing purposes, and while you can certainly say these characters were inspired by Mega Man, the powers that be in the legal department didn't see any issue with this depiction.

39 minutes ago, Edge of '94 Midwest said:

I'm sure if Capcom put their heads behind a hockey game, it would come out smelling like roses.

We needed something that didn't have Modano's likeness on it for mass marketing purposes, and while you can certainly say these characters were inspired by Mega Man, the powers that be in the legal department didn't see any issue with this depiction.

Why can’t you use Modano? Mega man makes this poster confusing as to what the tournament is for

edit: maybe instead use a sprite of modano from the game?

8 hours ago, chaos said:

Why can’t you use Modano? Mega man makes this poster confusing as to what the tournament is for

edit: maybe instead use a sprite of modano from the game?

At my own risk, I can use the old marketing material featuring Modano,  which I've done and will continue to do.  However, the venue is part of a national chain and won't use Modano's likeness on their own marketing efforts.  We actually used a sprite of Modano's face on top of his body.  Their lawyers shot it down.  Again, the majority of the marketing coming from us has the traditional Modano likeness in place.  Their people made this, and frankly, if you see NHL94 on the flyer, either you're all about it or not.  I don't think the 8bit characters would turn me off, especially for a crowd who hasn't seen much in the way of NHL94 tournaments locally.

We here at Edge Of '94 Midwest would like to congratulate Michael Robert Stanton and Raamayan Ananda on their victories in Vancouver this weekend, as well as Ryan Christian Ventura for keeping the #NHL94 dream alive! Both Robert and Raamayan have earned themselves free entry into Modano Mo Problems NHL94 Tournament February 29th in Minneaoplis, should they decide to claim it! Congrats again to these buds!

Image may contain: 9 people, people smiling, people sitting and indoor

• Like 2

More amazing prizes are rolling in! Join us right here on Facebook Sunday night for a special live stream :microphone2:, as we discuss how to get entered to win these signed jerseys, and the upcoming Modano Mo Problems NHL94 Tournament! (Pictures are from the auction listings, may vary slightly) We might have to rename the tournament to "Mo Broten Mo Problems!" :laughing: Stay tuned for more details!

No photo description available.

A friendly heads up, tomorrow is the last day you can take advantage of our special hotel rates at the Moxy Uptown!

https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1576270773552&key=GRP&app=resvlink&fbclid=IwAR0C3RL5vaLV-fiarrD9CDbyLv08P-uuWjCorY2v1XsEcytcjjbbMh9nlyY

Remember a free drink, and free EXIS gaming, 2v2  and more happen Friday Feb 28th!

image0.jpg?width=440&height=587

IT'S IN THE GA

• Like 2

I'm very please to announce, that we were able to convince The Moxy to extend their hotel special rate deal all the way up to the 28th!

https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1576270773552&key=GRP&app=resvlink&fbclid=IwAR0C3RL5vaLV-fiarrD9CDbyLv08P-uuWjCorY2v1XsEcytcjjbbMh9nlyY

I'm just curious how many plan to join us Friday for some 2v2 and other games.  Might be fun doing a Pros + Joes 2v2 tournament if we can get at least 8 players Frdiay night.

We're excited to announce at Edge Of '94 Midwest that we've partnered with PopsicArt Shop for a special promotion leading up to our Feb 29th "Modano Mo Problems" NHL94 tournament! We approached them about adding #NHL94 based artwork, and they listened! They even righted a historical wrong by adding a Minnesota North Stars option! Don't worry, if you're a Dallas Stars fan that option is still available! If you use this special listing, you'll enjoy $5 off your purchase, and FREE shipping! Use Discount code NHL94 at checkout! This Discount code expires Feb 29th, so get yours today! https://tinyurl.com/popsicartnhl942020

Not the most flattering of pictures here, but I got a North Stars one.  It had just come in from the cold.

84302381_2742349042481505_47145868205899

Edited by Edge of '94 Midwest

image.png

Just a reminder I'll be going live on the Edge of 94 Midwest Facebook page with Greg Cundari aka Angryjay93 at 9PM CST this evening to discuss the Modano Mo Problems NHL94 Tournament! We'll be talking prize giveaways, new sponsorships, and recapping some updated details as we get closer to the big day! Please follow us at Edge Of '94 Midwest on Facebook for that notification!

@clockwise has agreed to create a custom 2v2 rom for Edge of 94 Midwest.

The North Stars will replace the Dallas Stars, and real NHL94 personalities will be placed onto the teams.  If interested in being put in the game on a specific team, please let me know.  We hope to play this Friday the 28th.

Here's what we have so far, will edit as needed:

Rangers : Kingraph #1,

unknown.png

LW Rangers #0

uknown.jpg

Hawks : EA #27, 

image.png

DPS#13 

image.png

Trojan #79 in net

Image may contain: 1 person

Buffalo :  Mort #89,

image.png

Tecmo Lou #16

red98pic.jpg

Winnipeg : Slapshot Sean #13

image.png

Green Majik #77 

Image may contain: Joseph Readitnweep Moore, beard

Sharks : angryjay93 #93

6357BA9E-DEC4-46DA-A11E-C0EE2569FB2A.jpeg

Moeman #88

Moe Man's Profile Photo, No photo description available.

Burnzy the Dog in net

image.png

Pens : Chris O #66, Jagr #68(must have young flow mullet)

Quebec: Kevin Cabarello #10

image.png

and the Late Bert Hunter #87

bert.jpg

Edmonton : Mr T

Image result for mr t

Toronto : Jer_33 #33, DanTML7  #17, The Shield

Minnesota : Leif Erikson #9, Darik Aho #26

Detroit : Sroka -77- righty

Houslander-4-righty

image.png

Kings : Retro Sports Gamer #99, 

image.png

Lumberjack Cracks #20

Image may contain: Matthew Stahnke, sitting and indoor

Blues : Tyler Votaw

Image may contain: Tyler Votaw

Tampa : Hank the Tank

image.png

New Jersey : Arda Ocal

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

Ken Daneyko

Penguins Chris O

Image result for jaromir jagr

Carter

image.png

• Like 1

So it's looking like I'll be making the drive from SK, Canada to Minot, then to Minny. If anyone's on the way and wants to split fuel costs, let me know. Still undetermined whether I'm going with kids or without. Long story short, I had a buddy from USA visit me in Canada and then get deported, so I still have a bunch of his s**t in my closet, so he's taking a flight to Minot and I'm picking him up to help with the drive. Then he can fly his s**t back home with him to Cali haha. But I have a larger vehicle if someone wants a ride. Cheers!

• Like 3

Announcing some additional prizes :

Image result for gamerztek hd snes

The Gamerztek 16 Bit HD is our official SNES clone console, which can play on standard definition via composite on your CRT, or on your HD display via HDMI.  The included controllers are fantastic, and they do support original style SNES controllers.  This is a $50 value, and at minimum 2 of them will be given away to tournament participants! 

Don't worry, we're all  about that CRT, but it's nice to have something like this that easily hooks up to your living room TV, or your game room CRT.

87269764_837453193389770_788930249117348

These massive bins are filled with consoles carts, and controllers, power and AV hookups.  I spent most of the weekend going through the majority of gear we'll be bringing to Minneapolis.  We're confident when we say there won't be any system bandwidth issues holding the tournament up.

This was sent to me last night, and I haven't checked it out yet.  Thanks to @clockwise for putting it together.  Apparently in 2v2 player portraits will lock the system so it's not focused around that.  However, the names should be right based on the teams given.

If you have a flash cartridge for Genesis go ahead and load this bad boy on it.

2on2_Edge_of_94_2020.bin