NHL'94 Forums

February 29th 2020 Edge of 94 Midwest Presents : Modano, Mo Problems Genesis/SNES Tournament! Powered by AV For You!

Image may contain: 2 people, text

EDGE OF 94 MIDWEST is bringing our brand of NHL94 to Minneapolis Minnesota in 2020!

Sign up here! ================> https://www.paypal.me/trojan1979  Please end $40 in via friends and family, or $40 + the fee.

Modano Mo Problems will be our 5th effort spreading the love and joy of NHL94 to the frigid masses of the Midwest and beyond!

I'd like to recognize and offer thanks to @LeifErikson 's company AV For You!  They are our primary sponsor, helping us to continue to strive towards bringing you the best possible NHL94 experience from both a tournament participant, and a stream spectator standpoint!

What : NHL 94 tournaments for both Genesis and SNES

Where  The Pourhouse Uptown - 2923 Girard Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55408

When : February 29th 2020, 11AM - completion

Cost :  $50 at the door, or $40 in advance -  Junior players(under age of 18) may participate for $20.  This entry includes access to both the Genesis and SNES tournaments.

Payout :  75% of all entry funds collected will be paid out.  The payout scale will be 60/30/10 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place respectively.  The available prize pool will be split evenly over the Genesis and SNES brackets. Additional prizes will be available to win that are not based on player performance in the way of video game/sports memorabilia.

Format : The Genesis tournament in it's entirety will precede the SNES tournament : Group play will precede bracket play.   A single elimination bracket will follow the group play phase.  A Maximum of 32 players will advance to bracket play.  The round of 32 will be a one and done game.  The final 16 will be a best 2/3 series.  A single 3rd place game(not series) will take home the 3rd place payout.  Higher seed will pick tier and be player 2/home team for game 1 and 3(if needed).  In game 2 for the final 16 players, the lower seed is then Player 1 and the home team picking the tier.

Rules : 5 minute periods, penalties on, no offside, manual goalie.  If it's in the game, it's in the game.  No game mechanics are banned.  Examples are pass shots, CB checks, hail mary shots, goalie interference goals, rebound goals on penalty shots, etc.    A coin flip winner will be the home team(player 1) and call the tier for team selection.  The opposing player is the away team(player 2) and chooses which team they want based on the tier selected.  You may select from within or below the tier specified.    Example: Player 1 selects Tier 2.  That removes DET, BUF, CHI, VAN, MTL from selection in that matchup.  Player 1 chooses CGY, Player 2 selects BOS.   Player 1 and Player 2 may not play as the same team.  NEW THIS YEAR: You must take a different team in the selected tier each time.  You are only permitted to repeat a team selection once you have used the other teams within that tier an equal number of times. (Exception to this rule if player 2 has selected the last remaining team available for player 1 in said tier, another team may be selected that was already used by player 1) This process resets between group play and the playoffs.

Genesis Tiers :

Tier 1: DET, BUF CHI, VAN

Tier 2: MTL, LA, CGY, WPG, BOS

Tier 3: QUE, DAL NYR, TOR

Tier 4: PHI, EDM, WSH, PIT

Tier 5: NJD, STL, HFD, NYI

Tier 6: TB, SJ, OTW, ANH, FLA

image.png

SNES Tiers:

1 - PIT BOS NYR DET

2 - CHI LA BUF CGY WSH

3 - VAN QUE WPG MTL

4 - NJ PHI STL TOR

5 - EDM NYI DAL HFD

6 - ANA FLA OTT SJ TB

image.png

Games cannot end in a tie.  A new game must be started in the event of a tie game at the end of overtime.  Intentional time wasting in your own zone is prohibited.  You must attempt advancing the puck into the opposing zone whenever possible.  Players caught abusing this may have goals deducted, or in extreme cases the game awarded to the opposing player.  Players are required to take a photo of their score and report to the scorekeeper.  There is a 6 goal deficit mercy rule.  The game is over once a 6 goal difference is reached.  6 goals is the max goal differential counted.  Players are permitted to bring their own OEM or approved 3rd party controllers.  All other equipment is provided by us.  Having equipment on hand from volunteers as spares is always appreciated, but not required.

Hotel Accommodations :  The Moxy uptown has provided a special rate for our group if you use this link. https://www.marriott.com/event-reserva…/reservation-link.mi…

This deal also includes a complimentary drink from their bar!

In addition, we will have space dedicated for gaming the Friday night before the event! starting at 4PM! This offer is good until February 1st so book your rooms today!

Food and Drink at Venue : The Pourhouse is a premium sports bar experience, and will be the source of any food and drink needs all tournament long.

What types of systems are used for this? : All screens used are CRT using analog connections(typically composite), which means no input lag.  All Genesis systems and controllers are OEM, or Gamerztek brand clones.  The exception to this is the main stream setup which may use a high definition Mega SG and/or Super NT system  combined with a high speed PC monitor.  SNES are a mix of 1st gen, model 2, and NOAC clone units(again mostly Gamerztek).  All controllers are either OEM or Cirka, Hyperkin, or Gamerztek brand clones, which work very well.   You are welcome to use and bring your own OEM controller.  Our goal is 20 setups this year which means 40 concurrent gamers can play with no waiting.

Will this be streamed? :  AV For You will be handling the streaming tech.  Trojan will be the primary commentator with a slew of guest commentators.  We are planning on streaming on The Retro Sports Gamer YouTube Channel.  We highly recommend you follow them if you haven't already, as they play and stream all sorts of retro sports games, including NHL94.  You can find them here.... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+retro+sports+gamer

Can I dress up in hockey attire? : Expect a cross check if you don't get in the hockey spirit!

How can I help the tournament organizers? : In addition to committing early to attend we ask that you share the existence of this tournament, early and often, on all forms of social media.  Make travel plans early, and lock in so we know you are coming.  Bring new players, and make a weekend of it.

Will there be additional prizes? : In addition to cash prizes, and Lord Manly's Cup, we plan on having many different hockey/video game related prizes for giveaway available.  All entrants will be eligible for some prizes just for being there, and others will be available only to those who sign up early.  Stay tuned for more information!

Why was the tournament moved to Minnesota?  : While we have had successful events in Green Bay, some factors required we source a new venue.  First off, the Edge VR Arcade converted the space we used previously into addition VR Stations.  It was a business decision on their end, and we're thankful for them hosting us the prior two years.  We also recognized that about 2/3 of our player base comes from outside of Wisconsin.  Flying in and out of Green Bay caused major issues for some people, in fact it almost kept Angryjay93(3 time champion and our biggest advocate) out of the last tournament.  There are direct flights into Minneapolis readily available from all over the US and Canada, making this the most accessible tournament to the NHL94 community at large.  In addition, as we keep growing, we recognized the need to expand our staff manpower.  @LeifErikson has been instrumental in coordinating all things local both in the way of display/venue/manpower procurement.  This WILL be our best tournament to date, and it wouldn't be possible without Leif's support.  We also believe that there is a largely untapped market in "The other Canada" stateside.  We believe a new local demand, coupled with our pool of existing players, plus additional traveling players due to ease of travel should greatly expand our attendance numbers.

Why is there no Tecmo Super Bowl tournament the night before?: The Tecmo Super Bowl tournaments we held the past two years have been a tremendous hit.  Friday night = big business for The Pourhouse on the main floor.  With double the setups in play, and not being able to use the same area that evening, coupled with the logistics of transporting additional gear several hours away made this something we had to pass on this year.   Playing pickup games of Tecmo and other retro games is certainly an option in the Friday space that we'll have, but we don't plan on bringing a bunch of equipment into that area.  Again, Modano, Mo Problems ;).  A handful of systems will be setup to be used, but not enough to hold a full scale tournament.

unknown.png?width=1242&height=574

Edited by Edge of '94 Midwest
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, clockwise said:

God damn! Man, I hope I can find a way to attend this but I just got a promotion so it's doubtful that I'll be able to take time off work. This looks amazing, though.

Time to you quit your job.  You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.  ;)

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

edge.png

Thanks @Edge of '94 Midwest and @LeifErikson, this looks GREAT and I'm excited about Minnesota!  I would love to come and defend my Genesis title, so I will start working out a plan soon! 

We know you'll be there bud!

To explain briefly on the round of 32 being 1 and done......

We are under more time constraints this time around for both tournaments, so everything must end on time.  This will save time on both tournaments  We are starting one hour later this time to give people a bit more time to drive in, and to give our crew more time to setup at the venue, as we will not be able to setup until the day of the tournament.

Going back two years, we have only two upsets in that opening round, both coming from the #17 seed beating a #16 seed.  Coincidentally both games involve @Votaw.   Additionally only 4 total games were forced to a game 3 situation. In that opening round as a  higher seed you should beat up on your opponent and get the win.   It also does put a spark of hope for the lower guys knowing, that if they get lucky, they might be able to steal one from a good player.  Their chances of beating a top guy are awful.

-Trojan

• Like 1

Hold for Attendance numbers and payouts and prize recaps

The tournament saw a total of 23 total competitors, 22 competing in Genesis, and 16 competing in SNES, with one player only playing SNES.

Despite many people not remembering to pay for the Paypal fee or use Friends and Family I have rounded up those payouts to $40.  We had 16 players pay in tier $40 via Paypal for a total of $640

Because we went with a Swiss format for SNES, an additional player was needed to even it out.  a fee of $20 was agreed upon to participate for Sammiesmith33 in SNES only, who was not present for the start of the Genesis tournament, and in turn didn't compete in it.

We had two walk in players who paid cash $100 total for them

We had two players who won free entry.  I am covering the value of their entry at $80 combined.  The other two players were our sponsor Leif Erikson, and my son Carter who are excluded from payment.

Paypal : $640

Cash : $120

Sponsored Entries : $80

$840 collected in entry fees, 75% payout.

$630 over two tournaments, $315 each tournament

60/30/10 Payout 1st /2nd/3rd place for each.

1st Place : $189

2nd place : $95(rounded up to 95)

3rd place : $40(i increased the 3rd place payout to cover the entry fees, up from about $32)

Total payout per tournament, $324, $648 paid out total between both tournaments.

Three signed Neal Broten jerseys were awarded.

Jer_33 won the Gophers jersey.

Jim Duffy won the Northstars jersey

Leif Erikson won the Team USA jersey

A total of five high definition Gamzertek SNES consoles were given away.

Over 16 individual sealed Starting Lineup and Headliners figures were given away as consolation prizes as people were eliminated from the Genesis bracket, and continued to be given away until they were depleted well into the SNES bracket.

A branded fanny pack from Up/Down Barcade filled with tokens was won by EA.

Multiple Hyperkin branded Genesis controllers were given away.

Several branded AV For You  winter hats were given away by Leif Erikson, along with some athletic wristbands.

Hold for Results

Genesis Tournament :

Champion : Angryjay93

2nd Place : Kingraph

3rd Place : EA

4th Place :Mort

Winner of consolation "Joes" bracket : Eric Smith from Minnesota, wins Gamerztek console and free entry to 2021 tournament.

image.png

SNES :

Champion :Kingraph

2nd Place : Angryjay93

3rd Place : Mort

4th Place : DPS

Due to time constraints, we lessened the SNES bracket to 8 players, with the opening round being a one and done, thus the score differences. 

image.png

Will be tabulating payouts in the next day or so, had to hit the ground running on my return.

Well I traveled to Minnesota for family reasons.  I was within 25 minutes of the venue, but wasn't able to break away during my stay to drop in.  I must stay it's an experience seeing what people are like in Minneapolis, and then again in the boonies.  It's like two different countries within a 90 minutes drive of the Twin Cities.

After driving 90 minutes to release the ashes/remains of my father in law at his favorite fishing spot, I drove another 6.5 hours back to Green Bay.   I consider it endurance training to for my Cleveland Gaming Classic journey this upcoming weekend.

In my entire travels this weekend to the general area, only one time did I experience any sort of traffic delay, and that was due to an accident.  It added 5 minutes to our journey.  The roads are great, and everything was easy to navigate.  I expect smooth sailing in February.

Well @everyone following #edgeof94-midwest, we've accelerated this process, and I'm proud to say that we're officially live on signups! Between now and December 7th, get signed up and be entered to win this amazing signed Neal Broten Gophers jersey. Broten is a local and national hero to the State of Hockey, part of the Miracle on Ice on the 1980 Olympic Men's Hockey team. To be eligible, be signed up before the deadline, and show up the day of the tournament! To signup, please visit our Paypal link :

www.paypal.me/trojan1979 send in your $40 for each adult entry, and $20 for any family entries.

We'll announce the winner Sunday night December 8th during a special live stream!

Edit : We've extended the signup deadline to the end of 2019 due to the new signup process!

No photo description available.

• Like 1

Sign ups have started rolling in, and we have 5 states represented already!  There's still chance to win the signed Neal Broten jersey if you haven't signed up yet!  Lock in your destination NHL94 experience at https://www.tinyurl.com/modano94signup today!

image.png

Hello - Just checking in if anyone has considered travel options for this yet? 

See a flight for me from LGA to arrive Friday Feb 28th at 5:22PM and depart Sunday Mar 1 at 9:30AM, but interested to hear others schedule. 

See two hotel options that look to be just about right on top of the venue and at reasonable prices of $110 a night (pre-taxes).  The AC Hotel Minneapolis Downtown (#7 of 56 ranked on tripadvisor) and the Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis Downtown, saw a mention of possible hotel deals as well but hadn't seen details.

Anyways, would like to find out what others are considering/doing before booking any travel, which I hope to do fairly soon if attending.

THX.

(After all that, I may have a prior commitment I didn't realize was that weekend and my percentage has decreased significantly ugh)

Edited by corbettkb
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, corbettkb said:

Hello - Just checking in if anyone has considered travel options for this yet? 

See a flight for me from LGA to arrive Friday Feb 28th at 5:22PM and depart Sunday Mar 1 at 9:30AM, but interested to hear others schedule. 

See two hotel options that look to be just about right on top of the venue and at reasonable prices of $110 a night (pre-taxes).  The AC Hotel Minneapolis Downtown (#7 of 56 ranked on tripadvisor) and the Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis Downtown, saw a mention of possible hotel deals as well but hadn't seen details.

Anyways, would like to find out what others are considering/doing before booking any travel, which I hope to do fairly soon if attending.

THX.

(After all that, I may have a prior commitment I didn't realize was that weekend and my percentage has decreased significantly ugh)

We are waiting to hear back from the connected hotel's management regarding a special rate.  Let's hope you can make it work despite the prior commitment.  I believe the person that needs contacting has been on a vacation over the past week.  We hope for an answer soon.

We stayed at the AC Hotel on our way to Green Bay a couple of years back - we had an excellent rate. The rooms were very modern, and everything appeared to be pretty new. The restaurant and bar were high-end (as were the prices). Back then I think I paid $80-90/night, the price has gone up significantly since. 

PS. Just bought my early-bird ticket.

Edited by jer_33
  • Like 1

We've announced a satellite SNES tournament taking place December 30th. at Dmen Tap, the home turf of The Retro Sports Gamer crew!

https://www.facebook.com/events/2448379262060952/

We're shooting for a 7PM start time, $10 entry.  Exact number of games will be based on number of players present, available systems, and time available to us.

Winner gets free entry into the Main Modano Mo Problems tournament in Minneapolis.  

All entry fees for this satellite tournament will go towards the prize pool for the Retro Sports Gamer Championship event taking place that week January 4th, same venue.

If you're coming, we simply ask that you RSVP with us on the Facebook page, or shoot me a text 920-246-7513.

Quick announcement:

We are in the process of scouting for another venue.  Due to legal reasons related to our use of Eventbrite, an exclusive agreement between Pourhouse Downtown and their exclusive ticket provider has forced us to refund the tickets and cancel the event on Eventbrite.  Unfortunately this was not explained to us.

We are exploring other great options and signups are still live.  www.paypal.me/trojan1979 sending $40 or $20 for family entries will lock in your spot.

Thanks for your patience in all of this.  This tournament will 100% be on February 29th in Minneapolis as planned.

Here's a quick venue update, we've had the tour of the different Pourhouse location, and it is even better suited than the downtown location for our purposes. We are waiting to have their tech guy verify Internet speeds, which should take place later in the week. We've also have a hotel block arrangement ready to fire with special rates. The hotel is in short walking distance to the tournament venue, and we can use their facilities for Exis. These might be some of the coolest looking rooms in existence.

Confirmation and details to come soon....

Confirmed! The Pourhouse Uptown will be hosting us February 29th! 2923 Girard Ave S, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408. We have made arrangements with Moxy Minneapolis Uptown 1121 West Lake Street, Minneaplis, Minnesota 55408. $79/night special rates, booking procedures to come!  The Moxy will also be hosting Exis stations Sponsored by AV For You starting at 4PM Friday night before the tournament!  I've been told every room has an electric guitar and AMP!  Are you kidding me?

80226593_1046736598995921_69005923309154

78453832_440350373558962_763319068362014

79662889_517809728947960_181200492503551

80055245_575927146501477_548966540203419

79035347_724200414740496_621366147211591

78829443_745658905931977_108811412030724

No photo description available.

Because of the new signup process, we've extended the jersey eligibility to the end of this year!  If you're signed up before 2020, you're entered to win this!  We'll hold a special live stream January 1st on our Facebook page to announce the winner!

Registration List :

Carter F(lil Trojan) - free entry (son of tournament organizer Trojan) - Green Bay, WI

Leif Erikson - free entry(sponsor) - Chanhassen, MN

Kevin Cabarello(won free entry from Michy Boyd benefit Raffle) - Columbus, OH

Francis Buennegal(Mort) - Chicago, IL(Chicago December 30th Satellite tournament)

Paid Registrations:

Eric Vostal(EA) -Palatine, IL

Raphael Frydman(KingRaph) Cranford, NJ

Darik Aho - Maple Grove, MN

Phil Naumann - Chicago, IL

Jeremy Wark(Jer_33) - Thunder Bay, ON

Daniel Patrick Slattery(DPS) - Chicago, IL

Tyler Votaw(Votaw) - St. Louis, MO

Shannon Lang - WI

Jason Koenig - WI

Christopher O'Rourke - Ashburn, VA

Greg Cundari(Angryjay93) - Sacramento, CA

Handk De Wild(Hank the Tank) - Green Bay, WI

Dan Benesh(danTML7) - Regina SK, CAN

Ryan Anderson -St Paul, MN

James Benesh (Seventieslord) -  Regina SK, CAN

Ed Hammes - Minnesota

"i'Ll PaY aT tHe DoOr!"

Jim Duffy - Minnesota

Eric Smith - Minnesota

The Moxy uptown has provided a special rate for our group if you use this link. https://www.marriott.com/event-reserva…/reservation-link.mi…

This deal also includes a complimentary drink from their bar!

In addition, we will have space dedicated for gaming the Friday night before the event! This offer is good until February 1st so book your rooms today!

safe_image.php?d=AQBOvkFPdwEFGYyJ&w=540&

Each room has a guitar and amp in it, not joking, and every room seems to have it's own vibe and layout.

mspox-suite-0007-hor-clsc.jpg?interpolat

mspox-lounge-0018-hor-clsc.jpg?interpola

mspox-lounge-0019-hor-clsc.jpg?interpola

• Like 1