NHL'94 Forums

2on2 format for KO94-5

clockwise

SNES & Gens  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which format would you choose?

• Randomly select teammates - randomizer.org
    • Allow players to choose their own teammate - say, if a player brings a friend to the tournament they will likely want to play with them
    • Have 'A-level captains' choose their teammate -captains cannot choose other captains
    • other - leave details in comments

• Will be creating a custom ROM with equalized ratings, containing all of the attendees for both consoles.
  • Plan is to have at least 2 consoles going, so, 8 players being able to play at once, minimum, to help speed up the tournament.
  • undecided on the # of games each team should play to qualify for the playoffs, but I feel like the championship should be first-to-4, best-of-7.
  • I will be providing the awards for all 4 coaches.
  • @corbettkb suggested having the SNES tournament on Genesis day and the Genesis tournament on the SNES day so it doesn't interfere with the KO94 bracket play. Which is a great idea and hopefully we can have more guys stay for both days as a result.

Never to early to start planning. I already have my bags by the door.

• Like 1

I think a combination of option 1 and option 3, Captains with random "b-level" teammate.

Boy, 2v2 finals would be awesome with commentary - so much action and crazy play.

• Like 3

I AM GOOD FOR WHATEVER.  Live 2on2 is the apex of NHL'94 for me.  

I assume this would be for exhibition, and not a paid separate entry?  If it's paid, I think you have to allow people to choose their teammates ( @Freydey, I'll pay your fee bud).  If it's exhibition, then I would suggest "A" guys, or known 2v2 players to be split up.  It's such a different game than traditional '94 and, quite frankly, 2 veteran players will absolutely dominate and not make it fun for anyone else.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kingraph said:

Live 2on2 is the apex of NHL'94 for me.  

Does my heart good to hear the champ say this. I've always felt, in a way, like 2on2 was a my sideshow creation that needed to be kept in the dark. 

The whole, pay-to-play thing will have to be up to Hali, but, as stated above, I'll bring whatever is needed. 

I hope we can get 6 teams for each console. That would be incredible to see.

First I'd like to thank @clockwise for volunteering to look after this. He's the 2v2 guru imo.

Just some thoughts from comments made already

1. I'd say for the first one, we leave money out of it. 

2. I'm kinda torn on how teams are picked. I like the idea of just picking a buddy and playing. But I'd voted for captains not being able to pick other captains. Pairs would likely be more even and produce closer games, which is always more fun than blow outs. 

3. I'd recommend keeping it on the same day(instead of seperate days). Most people that play on their favourite systems are there for two nights. They'd now have to stay three nights just to play 2 v 2. There's King players and there's Duke players. I think everyone should have a chance to play  2v2, the same day. This also means I need to re-visit scheduling for King of 94. I've been looking at some ways of reducing time and games. ex. Having 4 RR wins (instead of 3) to move on the final bracket and putting the rest in the single elim wild card bracket to qualify. Also, going back to a best of 1 on the loser bracket side until the final 4 perhaps. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/30/2019 at 6:57 PM, clockwise said:

I think I found the trophy for the 2on2 champions.

4 Pucks from Buffalo Bottle craft (they're bottle openers) in a puck display case with a custom KO94 logo, 2on2 style.

So we got that going for us, which is nice.

I really like that

I go back n forth in this. But I think for an event you should be able to pick your partner. 

if it’s after hours at the hotel with the boys drinking Mountain Dew,  Then an A players drafting their partners.