NHL'94 Forums

NHL 20 by Naples39

naples39

UPDATE: Post-trade deadline version uploaded below!

So here it is, the 3rd NHL 20 rom that no one asked for, and delivered quite late!

All the usuals from my roms, but to take note:

-Updated logos, uniforms, arena names and rosters for all 31 teams (rosters as of Dec. 2)
-Player portraits for all NLC starters
-Speed burst set to 75% of original rom
-Many graphical hacks such as backup goalies and coaches on bench, net cam, better uniforms...
-Anniversary center ice logos for teams that are using one this year
-Weight bug fix, smoz 3-star formula
-known bug with 32-team rom -- GAME WILL CRASH IF CYCLING THROUGH WPG (TEAM 31) PORTRAITS ON MAIN MENU

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or bugs to report!

tRsl68p.png

9uoMsG0.png

GQdxYp6.png

oIMY6Hr.png

NHL 2020 by naples39.zip

NHL 2020 1.1 by naples39.zip

Edited by naples39
  • Thanks 7

Also, I'm curious, what program did you use to bring the image down to 16 colours? Doesn't look like my Ditherer program (the patterns are too regular), but it did a good job.

Great rom overall. Like the opening picture of the stanley cup champs my hometown team. The colors on the players and on ice logos are great. My only complaint the wrong jersey number for Robert Thomas on the Blues.

18 hours ago, Andrew58 said:

Curious... how much would you charge to make my men’s league team with our jerseys in the game for a custom game?

If you just want to edit one jersey, just send me a pic of your men's league team jersey and tell me which team to put it on, and I'll send you the ROM. It will only take a few minutes.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:17 PM, mmeyer44 said:

Great rom overall. Like the opening picture of the stanley cup champs my hometown team. The colors on the players and on ice logos are great. My only complaint the wrong jersey number for Robert Thomas on the Blues.

Damn, I hate mistakes like that!

I'll definitely put it on the fix list, but I won't re-up the ROM just yet to fix only one number. Feel free to edit that yourself in NOSE in the meantime (or I can send you a fix if you need it for personal use).

Great rom by the way.  I actually tried playing this from a MegaSD Flash cart and Nomad.  The 32 team freeze bug also happens when I am in the menu cycling through Washington's team portraits and in the matchups' screen whenever the Capitals are involved (attached pic below frozen only showing half of Doc Emrick's face).  Oddly enough, it doesn't freeze when I do this on the Kega Fusion emulator on PC.  Not a big deal but just an observation.

nhl.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazygoalie33 said:

Great rom by the way.  I actually tried playing this from a MegaSD Flash cart and Nomad.  The 32 team freeze bug also happens when I am in the menu cycling through Washington's team portraits and in the matchups' screen whenever the Capitals are involved (attached pic below frozen only showing half of Doc Emrick's face).  Oddly enough, it doesn't freeze when I do this on the Kega Fusion emulator on PC.  Not a big deal but just an observation.

Probably a bug in the rom template that only happens on real hardware. Nothing I can do about that one. Sorry!

Great ROM, thanks so much for all the effort putting this together!

I did notice that both SJ goalies were both rated 50 in the game?  Seemed like a mistake (at least for Martin Jones) and wanted to let you know.

Thanks!

-Evan

5 hours ago, Evan said:

Great ROM, thanks so much for all the effort putting this together!

I did notice that both SJ goalies were both rated 50 in the game?  Seemed like a mistake (at least for Martin Jones) and wanted to let you know.

Thanks!

-Evan

Not a mistake, at least not an oversight...

I'm primarily basing goalie ratings on save percentage, and the Sharks were dead-last last year and are currently third from last this year in that category!  During this period Jones and Dell are 54th and 58th out of 59 goalies respectively in save percentage

10 hours ago, naples39 said:

Not a mistake, at least not an oversight...

I'm primarily basing goalie ratings on save percentage, and the Sharks were dead-last last year and are currently third from last this year in that category!  During this period Jones and Dell are 54th and 58th out of 59 goalies respectively in save percentage

Ah, ok thanks for the explanation on the ratings.  Makes sense if based mainly on last season's Save Pct.   As an aside, being a NY Rangers fan they are a ton of fun to play with!

On 12/11/2019 at 9:44 AM, Evan said:

Ah, ok thanks for the explanation on the ratings.  Makes sense if based mainly on last season's Save Pct.   As an aside, being a NY Rangers fan they are a ton of fun to play with!

There's a method to the madness, although it's kind of loose, and may or may not be the best way to do it!

Ratings are kind of rolling and I'm always tweaking them. When I do a new season rom it just starts with updating the old one, so most of the player ratings receive little or no change from last year. If a player is significantly trending one way or the other, or I think I missed the mark before, his rating may look very different the next season.

For goalies, it's mostly based on old school goalie stats like GAA and save percentage. Those are in many ways team stats, but that's okay because when you boil "team defense" down to a game like 94 often it just means making their goalie really good.  There's also some subjectivity and history in the ratings too, because right now big names like Bobrovsky, Lundqvist and Price are probably rated more highly than their current stats would provide based on their career history, so there's always grey area.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for future reference, the Penguins #1 goalie is now Tristan Jarry as of the last 2 months. Murray has been pretty horrendous this season (and last season), allowing 3-4 goals a game, while Jarry has been tops in the league in every stat. Funny how things work sometimes.

Edited by Brad1981

On 1/2/2020 at 6:55 PM, Brad1981 said:

Just for future reference, the Penguins #1 goalie is now Tristan Jarry as of the last 2 months. Murray has been pretty horrendous this season (and last season), allowing 3-4 goals a game, while Jarry has been tops in the league in every stat. Funny how things work sometimes.

#LetsGoPens!

Sorry I’m a month late to the party here, but I’m so glad to see the King back at it! No disrespect to any of the other awesome modders out there, but in my opinion, Naples’s work is the gold standard. Awesome work again this year! Another Pens fan here...the only small “mistake” I could find is that Jack Johnson changed his number from 73 to 3 this year. Simple enough fix in NOSE for me, just something tiny to throw in the next update. Hopefully we get a “Deadline 20” edition ROM this year (hopefully your life has calmed down!!). I live for that ROM every year and have played through the throwback ones with accurate playoff brackets MANY times! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if there is a way to not have the Emrick sentence's period roll onto the next line -- it makes your very professional work lose a touch of, well, professionalism, to me.  would using generic player pictures for the last few teams prevent crashes?  thank you for all of your hard work.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 2:09 AM, brianski71 said:

Sorry I’m a month late to the party here, but I’m so glad to see the King back at it! No disrespect to any of the other awesome modders out there, but in my opinion, Naples’s work is the gold standard. Awesome work again this year! Another Pens fan here...the only small “mistake” I could find is that Jack Johnson changed his number from 73 to 3 this year. Simple enough fix in NOSE for me, just something tiny to throw in the next update. Hopefully we get a “Deadline 20” edition ROM this year (hopefully your life has calmed down!!). I live for that ROM every year and have played through the throwback ones with accurate playoff brackets MANY times! 

A post-deadline update is definitely in the works with roster updates, ratings tweaks and bug fixes!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noob question.  I loaded this rom onto my Genesis mini and have played a handful of games.  There have been several instances where the CPU goalie has the puck, moves back and forth a bit, then winds up dropping it in for an own goal with nobody around him.  I think I scored 3 goals one game just on this move.  Is this a bug native to NHL 94?  I haven't played the original much in several years and just don't know the history.

Thanks for the rom.  Ton of fun.

Never heard of this! Post a video of instant replay if you can? If only for the novelty of it.

Since you're (relatively) new here, can I ask how you found this place? Googled for nhl94? Saw something on facebook/twitter etc?