NHL'94 Forums

More CHK line playtime?

FightFan

So, a long time coming. Replayed NHLPA 93 this past with new stats I made in Nose but, damn, the game still isn't realistic in the way that the CPU never puts its checking line (which I loaded with fighters) and I've only had very few fights playing Detroit vs Chicago. 

So I'm wondering if there's a way to have lines who changed faster? Or do I have to change the entire endurance of every player? 

2 hours ago, FightFan said:

So, a long time coming. Replayed NHLPA 93 this past with new stats I made in Nose but, damn, the game still isn't realistic in the way that the CPU never puts its checking line (which I loaded with fighters) and I've only had very few fights playing Detroit vs Chicago. 

So I'm wondering if there's a way to have lines who changed faster? Or do I have to change the entire endurance of every player? 

Perhaps... I can't speak to NHLPA 93 but in NHL94 you can alter the in-game stamina logic so players tire faster and lines change more frequently depending on A) the overall stamina of the line/d pairing (as endurance is factored in for each player on that line/d pairing) and B) how long a line/paring was on the ice.  I alter stamina in the hex coding of my peronsal roms (meaning, the ones that I don't post here).  While it doesn't work as desired 100% of the time, as this isn't real life, I do see more line changes within a period and my checking line will even make an occasional appearance in the 1st period of a game.  This is usually if the other lines/pairs are A) gassed and B) the period is 7 minutes or longer.  It doesn't seem to work well or consistent with 5 min or less periods.  I suspect that if I lowered all endurance of players in the game, in addition to the hex code modification, the lines would probably change to a frequency that is closer to reality.  I'll add it to my to-do list of things to try out.  

That said, perhaps similiar editing can be done to the hex code of NHLPA93?  I don't know the hex coding locations for NHLPA 93 but perhaps, some others do and yo ucan do some testing.

59 minutes ago, clockwise said:

You can decrease the line stamina to force the CPU to roll lines.

Ooooops... I didn't see that Clockwise posted the energy/stamina hack instructions that I referenced in my post.  My bad.  I got the steps from that same post, once upon a time,  but couldn't find where I got it from when I posted below (as I have notes saved for all hacks, at home, in Word files and never remember to bookmark pages).  Anywho... 

Thanks guys,

I've done some testing last night, when I'm playing home I don't see a lot of changes even if I'm raising the 00 21 value to 00 45. My lines are dead tired but the CPU doesn't change. 

Visitor games seems to be a different game as my home team mimics my line change (like a real game) and sent their checking line at the same time. Don't know if it was in the original version.  

@The Sauce

do you remember the hex on your roms? I mean not the actual number but the difference between the original and what work for you? 

18 minutes ago, FightFan said:

Thanks guys,

I've done some testing last night, when I'm playing home I don't see a lot of changes even if I'm raising the 00 21 value to 00 45. My lines are dead tired but the CPU doesn't change. 

Visitor games seems to be a different game as my home team mimics my line change (like a real game) and sent their checking line at the same time. Don't know if it was in the original version.  

@The Sauce

do you remember the hex on your roms? I mean not the actual number but the difference between the original and what work for you? 

0021 vs 0051 in the hex.  I saw "improvement" if I played 7 minutes or more.  I recently had a 1-0 lead near the end of the first period and my checking line came out (usually don't see them til the third if you have a lead).  It's not consistent though and I don't recall what may have been unique about that game or the teams.  I am still tampering with the hex code vs endurance to come up with some other conclusions as I have a few things I want to try (muah-haha).  I just haven't had ample time to review.  I also don't know if the gameplay differs, in any way, should you sim vs control one of the teams.  I'll have to remember to test that out.  If I can get some concrete findings, I will share them.

Edited by The Sauce

That's a very interesting observation @FightFan that in NHLPA93 when playing as the Visitor team the CPU as the home team puts in its checking line as they should but when you are playing as the Home team the CPU Visitor team the CPU isn't putting in the checking line if I have that right. I wonder if this is an issue in NHL 94 as well. I normally don't pay too much attention to which lines the CPU team is subbing in but now I will pay more attention to it.

The Home Team gets the last change and 93 and 94 both have this built in.

If you send your CHK line out as the Visiting Team the CPU as the Home Team matches.

If you send your CHK line out as the Home Team the CPU essentially has already sent out Line 1.

It was a great way to guarantee a Probert vs Neely or Roberts fight in 93.

Play as the Red Wings at Home and send out the checking the line the CPU Bruins would have already sent out Neely on Line 1.

93 and 94 both have this.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, CoachMac said:

The Home Team gets the last change and 93 and 94 both have this built in.

If you send your CHK line out as the Visiting Team the CPU as the Home Team matches.

If you send your CHK line out as the Home Team the CPU essentially has already sent out Line 1.

It was a great way to guarantee a Probert vs Neely or Roberts fight in 93.

Play as the Red Wings at Home and send out the checking the line the CPU Bruins would have already sent out Neely on Line 1.

93 and 94 both have this.

Wow, didn't know that and I was playing the original games back in those days. Guess I was too much home games or with friends lol. 

@The Sauce Thanks, I've changed it to 51 (playing 20 minutes game) and it does make a huge difference from my previous settings. Also I did tweak my lines a bit to not use the same players on PP or PK so that they can recuperate a little. 

11 minutes ago, FightFan said:

Wow, didn't know that and I was playing the original games back in those days. Guess I was too much home games or with friends lol. 

@The Sauce Thanks, I've changed it to 51 (playing 20 minutes game) and it does make a huge difference from my previous settings. Also I did tweak my lines a bit to not use the same players on PP or PK so that they can recuperate a little. 

Cool.  I thought you might like that setting.  I’m still trying out some stuff, related to it, and I’ll let you know if I find any other helpful tips/suggestions.