NHL'94 Forums

[Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 - Vancouver, BC] - The Battle of Vancouver - The Charles Bar

rcv

Vancouver, Genesis and SNES Players!  Hope to see you all at The Battle of Vancouver

!80262201_100400464807372_784376571459796

Registration Link - https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-battle-of-vancouver-nhl-94-tournament-tickets-86470823561

Start off the New Year by playing in the first NHL 94 Tournament of The Decade! 

It's the first annual "Battle of Vancouver" where we'll crown the very best NHL 94 player on the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo! Join us at The Charles Bar in the heart of Downtown Vancouver for a day of competive retro video game hockey action and good times. There'll be cash prizes and a trophy for the winner! Additional prizes for participants and spectators!  

$25 (plus fees) to register before Friday January 10th! $30 (plus fees) to register after Friday January 10th! FREE to spectate!

Players that register before Friday January 10th get a FREE Breakfast Sandwich.

***Tournament Format:***

Note: Unfortunately, due to time constraints you will not be able to compete in both tournaments at the same time.

It's sixteen players, eight players in two divisions. Each division does a round robin to guarentee that everyone plays seven games! All playoff games are best of three. The top player in each division gets a "bye" into the second round of their division's playoffs with the player with the worst record being eliminated. Players ranked 2nd to 7th will be seeded in the playoff tree (2nd vs 7th, 3rd vs 6th etc). Rankings are based on the record from the round robin. After the divisional playoffs have been completed, the two finalists from each division face off in the finals to determine the champion! 

***Code of Conduct:***

-Please be respectful of our host venue and of each other. Friendly trash talk is encouraged, but there is absolutely ZERO tolerance for violence, destruction of property etc. Basically in short, behave the way you would at a family member or close friend's house. If it gets to that point, you would automatically be disqualified and respectfully be asked to leave. Now that we've gotten that out of the way....

-We will provide controllers for this event, however we encourage you to bring whatever Genesis / SNES compatible controller or joystick you choose. The only requirement is that there is NO turbo function or external power needed for the input device.

-For anyone that brings their own equipment, please clearly mark your equipment so that it doesn't get misplaced.

***Rules:***

The Battle of Vancouver will use the official King of 94 World Championship rules. Please refer to the game Rules at the link below:

http://www.kingof94.ca/rules.html 

***What is the VCRGC - Vancouver Community Retro Gaming Club?***

There's nothing quite like competitive gaming, but when it comes to the world of eSports there isn't enough options for people like us who prefer games of the retro variety. We want to change that and help grow a community scene with a series of monthly casual play meetups and money tournaments to make the stakes higher and more fun.

From NHL 94 to NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, Street Fighter II etc, your favourite game from the greatest era of gaming matters! Let's rekindle that fire you remember as a kid together!

Join the group on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcrgc

Follow us on Instagram:

@vancomrgc

Edited by rcv
  • Like 5

I'm  happy to announce, with @rcv 's blessing, the winners of both of these tournaments will be awarded free entry into the Modano Mo Problems tournament in Minneapolis on February 29th!

@rcv has got the passion and drive it takes to build a successful tournament following in Vancouver.  I strongly encourage all that are able to make his tournaments to do so.

RCV is now part of an elite few of dedicated tournament organizers, who carry the torch, spreading the light of NHL94 throughout North America.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Edge of '94 Midwest said:

I'm  happy to announce, with @rcv 's blessing, the winners of both of these tournaments will be awarded free entry into the Modano Mo Problems tournament in Minneapolis on February 29th!

@rcv has got the passion and drive it takes to build a successful tournament following in Vancouver.  I strongly encourage all that are able to make his tournaments to do so.

RCV is now part of an elite few of dedicated tournament organizers, who carry the torch, spreading the light of NHL94 throughout North America.

Thank you for all the support brother, it means a lot! So many wonderful people in the community.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rcv said:

Thank you for all the support brother, it means a lot! So many wonderful people in the community.

Having new blood infused into a community likes this invigorates it.  It's amazing how a childhood activity brings together total strangers from across the globe.

When I started running tournaments in general(not 94 specifically), it would have been nice to have mentor.  I did receive great advice from @halifax and @angryjay93 when I first poked my head in this community.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Results emailed to me:

Genesis Final Records including round robin and playoff games:

Player Wins Losses
Michael Stanton * 9 3
Waseem Khalil (Moe or Highlight Reel Khalil) 8 5
Sean Young (Shjon Jung or Quetzalcoatlus) 5 5
Ryan Colbert 4 7
Ryan Walker 1 7

We had a final four (best of three) playoffs at the end of an 8 game per player round robin. Each player had to play each other twice. The guy who finishes last at the end of the round robin doesn't advance.

Waseem played Colbert in the first round of the playoffs, with Waseem winning the series 2 games to 1 and advanced to the finals.

Stanton played Young in the first round of the playoffs, with Stanton sweeping Young in 2 games.

Stanton swept Waseem in the finals in 2 games to become the first ever Sega Genesis Battle of Vancouver champion!

SNES Final Records including Round Robin and Playoff games:

Player Wins Losses
Raamayan Ananda (The Rammer or Dethrox)* 11 4
Zubin Parihar 10 5
Rishad Daroowala 7 4
Kevin Hicks (Federline) 5 7
Coltin Lilico 4 6
Geoff Lilico 0 10

We had a final four (best of three) playoffs at the end of an 10 game per player round robin. Each player had to play each other twice. The two worst players who finishes last at at the end of the round robin doesn't advance.

Zubin played Rishad in the play offs and advanced to the finals 2 games to 1.

Raamayan swept Federline in the playoffs to advance to the finals.

Raamayan beat Zubin 2 games to 1 in the finals to become the first ever SNES BOV Champion.

• Like 2

Interesting results.

On the Genesis side: Now we know that the Stantonator is a dual system threat! Good for him.

On the SNES side: Very surprised to see Federline finish 4th in a small tournament like this. I guess there are a lot of great SNES players out there. 

32 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

Interesting results.

On the Genesis side: Now we know that the Stantonator is a dual system threat! Good for him.

On the SNES side: Very surprised to see Federline finish 4th in a small tournament like this. I guess there are a lot of great SNES players out there. 

Very tough competition! 4 of the SNES guys are top 20.

Moe came second in the consolation round in Vancouver (0-6 in the round robin, then won 3 or 4 in a row before losing the final)

Pre-tournament rankings, below. Some of their ratings are penalized (about -5%) due to not playing since 2018, so you'll see their ratings all go up (penalty removed) when I update the standings.

image.png

1 hour ago, Edge of '94 Midwest said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think people were allowed to play both.  Maybe he liked his chances winning Gens.

Could be this. I think winning was worth $200 or something like that. (not sure how that worked out with $25 registration...)

He finished 7th/8th in Sega in Toronto, after coming in as the wildcard. Eliminated by Raph so who knows if he would have made 5th/6th or better if he faced someone else.

EDIT: it was something to do with someone else signing up for the wrong system and Stanton volunteering to switch, to balance the numbers or something.

• Like 1