NHL'94 Forums

Which team do you think will have best chance to win the cup in 06/07 nhl season that starts next week?

hokkeefan

i think my canucks will be good defensive team this year but will need to trade for superstar center that they have never had.luongo will definately improve them though,but in the end i feel them choking as usual :(

Oakland Raiders

Guest BSDaemon

I have no clue. I really can't tell at this point who will win. I don't think it will be the canucks. MAYBE edmonton or calgary. ottawa wont be anything close to last year (and if they DO make the playoffs, will choke like they do every year), toronto i think with all the new kids, new coach, new goalie will make the playoffs in 6th-8th, but i think will lose in the first round because of inexperience. montreal... well... theyre a decent team this year, but they are still lacking compared to the rest.

As for american teams.... who cares? :(

umm, how about the anaheim ducks, bro? As much as i hate to admit it, they have the best defense in the entire league, and a few players who can score. If they stay healthy, they'll win campbell this year, for sure. How many teams are gonna be able to keep with a stacked d and offense like anaheim? You have niedermayer and selanne on one shift, and pronger, perry, and getslaf on another? It'll be very hard to keep a team's best players on the ice against a team with so much depth.

I don't know about anyone else on here, but I fell out of love with the NHL years ago, and I'm not sure the relationship can ever be restored to its previous state. The "trap era" soured me, possibly forever. I know that the hockey's improved in the "new NHL" but I still don't like it very much. I've become a junior hockey fan instead, I find I can identify a lot better with that level than I can with the far too "processed" NHL. Plus I can't handle the ridiculous amount of player movement that's come with the new salary cap. You can't go to the bathroom without missing some random no-name European go from Phoenix to Florida for no apparent reason. I don't know, I just don't find the NHL is for me anymore, although I'll still admit that it would be a thrill for sure to attend a game live. On TV though? Meh. I'll watch some playoff games out of some feeling of obligation, but it's almost a chore.

Doesn't mean I'm any less of a hockey fan, just means that I dedicate my time to following a different brand of hockey. I still eat, breathe, and bleed hockey, just not the NHL.

I guess the best analogy I can think of is that I'm like a guy who's really into the music scene but can't stand the Top 40.

Guest BSDaemon
I don't know about anyone else on here, but I fell out of love with the NHL years ago, and I'm not sure the relationship can ever be restored to its previous state. The "trap era" soured me, possibly forever.

I guess the best analogy I can think of is that I'm like a guy who's really into the music scene but can't stand the Top 40.

Agreed, the trap killed the game!

Though, it's much better now then it was.

And your analogy is a good one.

Guest cr0ssbar94
I don't know about anyone else on here, but I fell out of love with the NHL years ago, and I'm not sure the relationship can ever be restored to its previous state. The "trap era" soured me, possibly forever. I know that the hockey's improved in the "new NHL" but I still don't like it very much. I've become a junior hockey fan instead, I find I can identify a lot better with that level than I can with the far too "processed" NHL. Plus I can't handle the ridiculous amount of player movement that's come with the new salary cap. You can't go to the bathroom without missing some random no-name European go from Phoenix to Florida for no apparent reason. I don't know, I just don't find the NHL is for me anymore, although I'll still admit that it would be a thrill for sure to attend a game live. On TV though? Meh. I'll watch some playoff games out of some feeling of obligation, but it's almost a chore.

Doesn't mean I'm any less of a hockey fan, just means that I dedicate my time to following a different brand of hockey. I still eat, breathe, and bleed hockey, just not the NHL.

I can see where you're coming from.

You can thank the NJ Devils and their garbage brand hockey for ruining the NHL. Now, pee wee leaguers arent taught to be creative anymore, instead to just play "robot defense" to win games. Really stinks but hopefully things will turn around.

The new rule changes...meh. I miss 1980's hockey. Fast, Furious, Fun. AND you actually had fights too in those days. Players didn't wear football sized gear either. These new rules are a bit much, changing the crease every 5 years and what not. The shootout is gay, and getting a point for an OT loss i gay. Just my opinion!

Well said Crossbar, I agree with pretty much all of those opinions- you hit on a lot of things that I also felt but just didn't get around to saying. Although I don't have a problem with the shootout so far, I think it added a pretty sweet element last year. You can't tell me that that Washington-Rangers shootout (longest shootout, Marek Malik's unforgettable goal) wasn't cool. Another potentially legendary moment that occurred in a shootout was that Sidney Crosby goal in Montreal, against the team he grew up cheering for. I also like it at the major junior level so far.

But I TOTALLY agree with everything else you said. Bring back either 80s hockey, or EARLY 90S hockey............. bring back the stuff upon which NHL 94 was based!!! It was based on the 92-93 season and in my opinion that was the greatest NHL season played since I started following hockey as a kid. :lol:

I definitely agree. I loved hockey in the 80s early 90s. But not only did the trap make hockey boring because of less scoring, but it made it more boring because it let veterans stay in the game way too long. Part of the fun of (american) football for me is that players can rise to (and fall from) greatness so quickly. There's always new blood in the league you have to keep up with. & while you always like to have a few familiar names, it just seemed like every good player from when I first started following hockey in the mid 80s was still playing at the turn of the century.

Admittedly, I've been trying to get back into the league, but it's really hard when your hometown team is the Blues.

Edit: And why in the hell do they give out points for losing???

Nice pick whoever said the ducks.

I did ok bettin on hockey last year.

Sabres, Ducks, Redwings, Sens & Hurricanes are the front runners for sure.

Trust me the Sens aren't finished. They still have great team.

But no real favorites this year, the new NHL prevents teams from loading up to much, Ottawa last year by far had the best team.

I'm gonna say Ducks & Sabres in the final.

But I'll cheer for the wings

Guest BSDaemon

I agree with the Sabres. I think they will be a real force this year. They just need to scrap those awful new jerseys.

The team is called the "Buffalo SABRES", not the "BUFFALO BUFFALOS"!! I don't know why they insist on making their logo of a buffalo. The red/black logo with the swords was the best uniform theyve ever had, if you ask me. Either use that, or go back to the original logo.

I'm still iffy about the ducks. They are great on paper, but I'm not so sure they will meld. Their goaltending is kinda sketchy too.

The red wings arent going to do anything, im not even sure what makes you put them in that list...

And the sens will come nowhere close to what they had last year. As soon as they lost hasek, they were not even close to being as good. The only reason they did so well at the beginning of last season is because they didnt have to care AT ALL about defence. Hasek would bail them out every time.

I think the Sabres are probably the favourites this year... I can't think of any team that even comes close.

hey don't be dissin my picks!!

The Sens are a great team. They had the best offense in the league last year & there forwards are the same.. except they lost

havlat who was out for a long time last year anyway. Yes there not as good but there team last year was sooo much better

than everyone else.. thats why they may have missed there chance.

Aneheim went to conference finals last year & the addition of Pronger makes there team sooo much stronger.

In fact they are the favorite to win the cup in vegas right now!!!!!!!

Detroit won the presidents trophy last year & the only player they lost was Shanahan & my favorite player Yzerman. Not to mention there goaltending hasimproved this season. They will finish top 3 in the conference I guarentee it.

I checked the vegas line after your post & the 5 teams I mentioned are all among the top 7 favorites...

& believe me the sports betting sites are almost always right ( the bastards!!!)

Detroit has two 50-year-old goalies........... how is their goaltending a strength?

Ottawa may have had the best team last year but you can always count on them to choke. Hate the Sens, almost as much as I hate the Leafs.

Anaheim seems to be "the cool pick" to win the Cup right now............. but "the cool pick" usually doesn't end up getting it done. Philadelphia was "the cool pick" so many times in the mid-late 90s................

Having said all of that, I don't have a Cup favourite. :lol: