NHL'94 Forums

92-93 Season Rom Idea (has this one been done?)

bbb777

Hi guys. Curious if there has ever been a complete 92-93 season overhaul of NHL 94. I know when reading that it sounds weird seeing that the game is based on the 93 season, but as we all know, the OG game is not perfect when it comes to a number of little things:

1. Accurate Jersey colors. Sorry but the SNES version completely owns the Sega version for this. A lot of teams have really poor home/road uni templates in this game. Would love to see that fixed. 

2. Home Ice logos that reflect the 93 season. Would this be possible? For instance, in the PC version of the game certain teams did not have the logo at center ice but closer to the blue lines. I always liked that little detail. Also, is it possible to have the home ice logos go horizontal as opposed to vertical?

3. Minnesota still in the game. Remove Florida and Ana

4. Rosters accurate as of the final day of the season

Again, I am sort of picturing a 93 season rom similar to the gold standard 91 season rom. 

1 hour ago, bbb777 said:

Hi guys. Curious if there has ever been a complete 92-93 season overhaul of NHL 94. I know when reading that it sounds weird seeing that the game is based on the 93 season, but as we all know, the OG game is not perfect when it comes to a number of little things:

1. Accurate Jersey colors. Sorry but the SNES version completely owns the Sega version for this. A lot of teams have really poor home/road uni templates in this game. Would love to see that fixed. 

2. Home Ice logos that reflect the 93 season. Would this be possible? For instance, in the PC version of the game certain teams did not have the logo at center ice but closer to the blue lines. I always liked that little detail. Also, is it possible to have the home ice logos go horizontal as opposed to vertical?

Again, I am sort of picturing a 93 season rom similar to the gold standard 91 season rom. 

1st post, 1st rom.  It's for GENS but that's because not many custom SNES roms are created in comparison to GENS.  Switch to the dark side!  lol

Edited by The Sauce

10 hours ago, bbb777 said:

I like all of this post.

92-93 was a great year and most of what you requested is in my roms.

Not sure how much I care for perfect jerseys as sometimes I like them slightly altered to look better in the rom.

An example would be Chicago and Minnesota.  Chicago I replicated accurate to 92-93, but I hated the changes Minnesota made to their logo for that last year so most of the time I left their look and logo more 91ish, but it is totally possible to do replicas easily with NOSE, just be careful as it can screw up the Center Ice logo.  I have a bunch of versions of this rom.  Some more accurate and some more to my liking.  I think they are all posted so poke aroung the above linked thread and if you don't find what you need PM me.

I am not doing much with 94 right now but would be happy to help you.

As far as moving the logos around on the ice like the PC version does, Which I agree is cool.  I do not think is possible in SNES or Gens, but KingRaph or Smoz could better answer that.

# 3 and #4 are easy and in my rom.

15 hours ago, bbb777 said:

Yes, it is absolutely possible to have center ice logos go horizontal vs vertical.  @Jkline3 figured it out once upon a time.  We had PMed back and forth about it.  I’ll check and see if I still have the notes.  Stay tuned...

Edited by The Sauce

1 hour ago, The Sauce said:

Yes, it is absolutely possible to have center ice logos go horizontal vs vertical.  @Jkline3 figured it out and did it.  We had PMed back and forth and he sent screenshots of it with notes.  I’ll check and see if I still have the notes.  Stay tuned...

I apologize as I misplaced the notes.  It definitely can be done and if memory serves, you just rotate the team center ice logo, in TM, and then alter some hex code in the rom file (where the center ice logo placement exists for each team).  Unfortunately, I just can’t recall the specifics.

@Jkline3 if possible, would you mind chiming in with your knowledge of the subject?  Assuming that you remember the how, of course.

Edited by The Sauce

Yes, it can be done but it does take a little work.  You just need to change the order of the center ice tiles in a hex editor.  The trick is that you need to cut the logo into individual tiles then rotate and reorder them in Tile Molester so that they appear correctly on the ice.  I'll see if I can dig up the specifics later.

Personally, I prefer keeping them horizontal even if it is less realistic.  Not sure if it's just familiarity or the fact that the game scrolls top to bottom and it looks better on screen that way.

46 minutes ago, Jkline3 said:

Personally, I prefer keeping them horizontal even if it is less realistic.  Not sure if it's just familiarity or the fact that the game scrolls top to bottom and it looks better on screen that way.

I agree.  It doesn't look as nice when re-arranged.  As you said, the whole playing from top to bottom to top makes it look off.

1 hour ago, The Sauce said:

I agree.  It doesn't look as nice when re-arranged.  As you said, the whole playing from top to bottom to top makes it look off.

Ah this is interesting and valid point. 

Is is possible to shrink down the center ice logos? If you watch any highlights from the 93 season, most teams had really tiny center ice logos. It wasn't until the late 90s (I think) where most teams used the concept you see today of having a big logo as the center ice marker. Again, maybe this is all for naught, I just think it would be so cool to see unique arena presentations on a Sega platform. 

Here's an example of what a vertical logo would look like at 48x32, please don't mind the quality as I just slapped this together quickly...

1a.jpg

@The Sauce, you might notice this looks less "squished" than our previous conversations as the logo used had been "stretched" (really busting out the technical jargon :D).  Maybe this accounts for why it looked so awkward?  It's also relatively simple to bring the red line up to the logo.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jkline3 said:

Here's an example of what a vertical logo would look like at 48x32, please don't mind the quality as I just slapped this together quickly...

1a.jpg

@The Sauce, you might notice this looks less "squished" than our previous conversations as the logo used had been "stretched" (really busting out the technical jargon :D).  Maybe this accounts for why it looked so awkward?  It's also relatively simple to bring the red line up to the logo.  

Agreed... it does look better than before.  Nice job bud!  I’d be curious to see what it would look like with the red line extended.

Oh, small detail, the center ice logo needs to be rotated (if you ever go this route on a ROM).  The logos face away from the team benches.  But again, nice job figuring a way to make it less “squished.”

3 hours ago, The Sauce said:

Agreed... it does look better than before.  Nice job bud!  I’d be curious to see what it would look like with the red line extended.

Oh, small detail, the center ice logo needs to be rotated (if you ever go this route on a ROM).  The logos face away from the team benches.  But again, nice job figuring a way to make it less “squished.”

Details, details :lol:!

redline.jpg

Pasting the logos in Tile Molester are actually MUCH easier than what I did the first go around...  All you need to do is rotate the logo and set to 4x6 in TM as opposed to 6x4.  No cutting and pasting of individual tiles necessary.

• Like 2

Here are the hex codes that need to be rearranged to make vertical:

Hex Map.png

The 008F circled in red need to be changed to 012B for the top pairs and 112B for the bottom pairs to bring the red line up to the logo.

Here's how the logo should appear in Tile Molester:

TM center ice.png

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I did something very similar to the original request here with my historical 'deadline' roms .

Basically it gets all the benefits of new hacks (weight bug fix, better looking and more accurate uniforms, period accurate creases/lines on ice, player pictures for all starters), and sets rosters as of the trade deadline for the season.

I did 87, 89, 92, 94, 95, 97, 99. Sorry, no 93 which would actually be the specific season requested here!