NHL'94 Forums

I gave AJ Chicago at home...

TomKabs93

The date was Saturday September 12, 2015. I was still reeling from the pain of losing 2-1 to AJ a few games earlier, after making the mistake of picking Anaheim and giving him Florida. I had clawed my way back to him again after 3 hard fought wins against 3 skilled online players of whose names I shall withhold. I didn't think I'd get another crack at him. A revenge opportunity in the same day, perfect!

But why was I even at this point? 2 losses?? This was not how it was supposed to go down. It was all going according to plan until I met kgman earlier, and was shocked to get bested 6-4. And then the next game was my previously mentioned ANH-FLA game with AJ. This all didn't compute. It wasn't supposed to be this difficult.

But that's okay! I earned another shot. And this time, I had the opportunity to choose the matchup. This felt like a wonderful example of justice. I was extremely overwhelmed with pressure and commotion and my brain was in a foggy haze. But I still had enough brainpower to know, no way in hell I'm letting this be another bottom-tier grind match. I'm going to hit him with the hardest-hitting matchup I can think of! (that I hadn't picked in a previous game). And so...

I gave AJ Chicago at home.

And the rest is history. That was my last game of nhl 94 against another human. And my life has been slowly spiraling even more out of control ever since

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I feel like this will show up in my news feed on Facebook as one of those beautifully written player tribune articles. 

Thats it! This forum needs a “NHL94 Players Tribune” section. 

• Like 1

That first event was absolute chaos. First time meeting everyone, a crowded room full of people, the pressure of playing...

I can assure you that if you ever decided to try another tournament, it is a lot less hectic and a lot more player-friendly.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

The title kind of makes it sound like a monster movie.

Just in case one is interested in a bit more detail, I did do a little write up regarding the games.

Game 11: AJ (Fla) vs TomKabs (Anh)

Obviously I was able to pick the game here as I had already had planned long ahead of time that I would attempt to drag TomKabs through my torture 101 class. I wasn't concerned with what team I'd get because my strategy was the same regardless. I wanted to drag the speed of this game to the minimal amount and make TomKabs as uncomfortable as possible. It seemed to have worked as Tomkabs played into my strategy as he tried to push the pace of the game as best he could. All I wanted to do was stretch his formation out and then counter when possible. It did take a while but I was able to get out to a 2-0 lead before TomKabs found an answer late in the 2nd period to make it 2-1 heading into the third. I stuck to my guns and never allowed a quality chance in the 3rd as I was able to successfully stymie TK into submission. A tough game indeed as TK fared better than I had expected but I felt I was really finding my groove at this point as any team I picked was playing well.

Result: AJ 2 - TK 1

Game 14: AJ (Chi) vs. TomKabs (Buf)

To say that TK wanted to give me some pay back would be a bit of an understatement. The guy was out for blood and his team selection showed it. I decided to give Roenick a shot as I felt he would be tougher to deal with than Mogilny considering the supporting cast for each team. I've watched a lot of TK's tape with high skilled players at his disposal and it can get a bit graphic what he does to his opponent. I wasn't going to allow myself to be a victim and I've actually been developing very specific tech to deal with TK and I have to say it worked wonders in this game. I jumped out to a fast lead and never allowed TK to get all that close. I kept him guessing as to what to do on defense and didn't let Mogilny get much open ice to work with. This was the exact kind of game I needed to get me back on track and feel confident going into the top 3.

Result: AJ 5 - TK 2

Edited by angryjay93
  • Like 3

On 2/1/2020 at 1:38 PM, angryjay93 said:

and I've actually been developing very specific tech to deal with TK and I have to say it worked wonders in this game.

Intriiiiguing