NHL'94 Forums

Project Lunar (NHL 94)

Fiddy

Hey guys, long time member (i think LOL) but I haven't posted in forever. Just picked up a sega genesis mini and a wireless controller because of project lunar and me wanting to play NHL 94 on my TV rather than my laptop with my 11 year old son.

I'm not sure if anyone else here has tried it, but NHL 94 and most of the other NHL's 96/97/98 all players shoot on their backhand. It's a bug with the project lunar I'd assume but would anyone know if its a fix that can be done by editing the rom file? Or I'm just SOL until its patched?

Or if anyone else has any other recommendations for me to buy instead of using the sega mini. I love playing pixels NHL 91 mod, just fantastic for me and childhood memories.

Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

When you say they shoot on their backhand, do you mean their wrong hand (righties with the stick blade on their left), or the animation is weird and they do a backhand animation?

If the handednesses are reversed, then you can use NOSE to just go in and swap all the handednesses.

• 5 months later...

I  think it's an issue with the stock emulator, I just loaded Lunar on my sega this week, I've noticed this and  that the goalies face backwards toward the stands rather than facing forward.  I've got the original nhl94 , the 2019 and the way too early 2020 on there all play fine but have the issue. I had to remove 93 it would freeze at the puck intro. I also had to remove about 10 games because I got some strange black screen glitch and I couldnt figure out what game it was, it wasnt any of the NHL roms though.   

1 hour ago, RonnieFranchise10 said:

I  think it's an issue with the stock emulator, I just loaded Lunar on my sega this week, I've noticed this and  that the goalies face backwards toward the stands rather than facing forward.  I've got the original nhl94 , the 2019 and the way too early 2020 on there all play fine but have the issue. I had to remove 93 it would freeze at the puck intro. I also had to remove about 10 games because I got some strange black screen glitch and I couldnt figure out what game it was, it wasnt any of the NHL roms though.   

Are you saying you tried a different/updated emulator and the problem was fixed?

No, unfortunately I'm just pointing out my issues with the Sega mini. I think project lunar just allows you to add games and still just uses the in house stock emulator which I believe is the m2 gigadrive .

My sony ps classic mini, modded and with retroarch did not have these issues with the 15 or so 94 roms I had on there, I was using Pico and the other core with no issues.  I think all the issue are related to the stock Sega Mini emulator.

I played a couple of games last night, just the standard NHL94 version and also noticed some odd goalie play. After the play is over the goalie can't handle the puck and 4 seconds later scores on himself. Looking at Player Stats will freeze the game too.

Edited by RonnieFranchise10
spelling correction

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...