NHL'94 Forums

Genesis Menu Music Changed Into Lullaby Version

gamemvp

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I was playing a few shootouts with someone on the Genesis when he started hitting random buttons on the way back to the main menu. Then the strangest thing happened. The menu music I've heard thousands of times turned into a lullaby version of the song. I searched all over for anything as to why this happened and I can't find a single mention of it. It doesn't show up in YouTube "full soundtrack" clips. Nothing.

Please tell me someone else has experienced this and knows how to recreate it. I didn't bother recording it because in my mind, there was no chance this wasn't a well known thing that I independently stumbled across almost 27 years after the game came out.

Edited by gamemvp

14 hours ago, gamemvp said:

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I was playing a few shootouts with someone on the Genesis when he started hitting random buttons on the way back to the main menu. Then the strangest thing happened. The menu music I've heard thousands of times turned into a lullaby version of the song. I searched all over for anything as to why this happened and I can't find a single mention of it. It doesn't show up in YouTube "full soundtrack" clips. Nothing.

Please tell me someone else has experienced this and knows how to recreate it. I didn't bother recording it because in my mind, there was no chance this wasn't a well known thing that I independently stumbled across almost 27 years after the game came out.

Are you serious?

If you are, that is an amazing easter egg, I have never heard mentioned.

Please tell me you grabbed a phone or recording device and took a video of this??

Edit: I just read your last sentence.  Uggh. :(

Edited by aqualizard

1 hour ago, aqualizard said:

Are you serious?

Please tell me you grabbed a phone or recording device and took a video of this??

I've experienced it many times, actually. It sounds like a steel drum version of the song.

I knew how to do it at one time when I was fiddling with the SFX and organ tunes. It wasn't intentional as I was looking for a way to change the sound of the end-of-period horn that replaced the goal siren for NHL11-NHL14. I made it more blaring, you could say.

There is a version of 2on2 that @HABS tried to change the sound in and got this effect. I think it's in the master ROM thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Are you serious?

It was absolute shock that I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere. Never in my wildest imagination would I think there would be a reason to take cell phone video of it until after I couldn't find it.

2 hours ago, clockwise said:

I've experienced it many times, actually. It sounds like a steel drum version of the song.

I knew how to do it at one time when I was fiddling with the SFX and organ tunes. It wasn't intentional as I was looking for a way to change the sound of the end-of-period horn that replaced the goal siren for NHL11-NHL14. I made it more blaring, you could say.

There is a version of 2on2 that @HABS tried to change the sound in and got this effect. I think it's in the master ROM thread.

Yes! Steel drums would be another way of describing it. I'm just glad someone has some sort of idea of what I'm talking about. It could have been literally anything that triggered it. It wasn't like he was pushing a ton of buttons after the shootout ended. It could have been the number of shootouts we played, or the team combination, or the score... ect. I have no idea. It was wild.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've experienced this with the organ and my son thinks it's hysterical when it happens (he plays shootouts sometimes which is when it seems to happen most).  Didn't think to mention it anywhere but good call it should be noted.