NHL'94 Forums

Theoretical question about 2 on 2

mbobbyhall

I haven't been on here for years but have been searching around the forums for any info related to what I'm looking to possibly do...

Basically want to know if I had 2 computers on my same network at home, could I use retroarch netplay to play 2vs2?  With 2 players on each computer.

The reason I would want this setup is that these computers would actually be in modified arcade1up cabinets, which are too small to gather 4 people around...but 2 on each would not be cramped. I'm a ways away from doing this but just wondering if what I'm asking is possible or anyone has any thoughts or experience trying something similar..  Im in the process of doing 94 artwork now, and will be making the cabinet whether this is possible or not. Probably a dedicated ea sports game cab with nhl 94 art.  I'll share my pics on here when its done ...unless the result is trash. Ha

I seem to recall that 2vs2 was not an option on Retroarch, as it could not mimic the inputs of a 4-play (I could be wrong). I'll post this on the discord chat and see if I can get a response.

This is 100% possible, but you need to follow the 2v2 retroarch setup so that it recognizes that 4 way play. Then you just have the only player with that setup START the game, the other 3 join, and voila you have 2v2.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, danTML7 said:

This is 100% possible, but you need to follow the 2v2 retroarch setup so that it recognizes that 4 way play. Then you just have the only player with that setup START the game, the other 3 join, and voila you have 2v2.

I believe what he's asking is if this can be done with only computers, not 4.  There would only be one other computer joining.

2v2 works on RA, we've played a bunch like that already., so I think the root of the question is playing online with two computers on the same network.

The outstanding questions are:

Can two people can play on one computer online?

Can two computers play online on the same network?

I know you can play with 2 people on one computer with RA, but I have never tried to do that online. 

I also haven't tried playing on two computers on the same network, but this should be easy to test if you have two laptops at home.  Just host a game on one and see if you can join on the other.

This is really interesting, I'd love to hear your test results!

100% possible. I’ve done it for testing by running 2 instances of RA on one computer and connecting to each other via netplay. 

In this case, you would enter the local ip address of the other cabinet in enter server address instead of using the netplay room

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, chaos said:

100% possible. I’ve done it for testing by running 2 instances of RA on one computer and connecting to each other via netplay. 

In this case, you would enter the local ip address of the other cabinet in enter server address instead of using the netplay room

Why do you need to instances of it? Can't you have two usb controllers joining one game, and then two usb on the other comp? I'll try that tonight maybe and reply again

5 hours ago, danTML7 said:

Why do you need to instances of it? Can't you have two usb controllers joining one game, and then two usb on the other comp? I'll try that tonight maybe and reply again

I was testing for other reasons. What I meant by this test was that you can connect on the local network with no problems.

I hate to chime in guys, and disagree with some of this, but i have tested 2 on 2 netplay with 2 LOCAL players, on one pc.  It does not work using Retroarch.  You cannot have 2 players on 1 pc , then link to 2 others on another netplay pc.  REtroarch does not understand the 2 local players on netplay.  I have tried and asked on certain forums.   The only way you could do this is with 1 pc per player.   Now with that said, i was able to play 2 local players on ZSNES vs one player on netplay.  But in his situation, ZSNES isn’t an option.  If all the people are in 1 room, your best bet is to mirror the monitor with a pi4 using two displays because it has 2 Micro hdmi display ports, and everyone BT their controllers inot the one pi 4.  

So again, in short, you cannot start netplay with 2 local players in Retroarch, it kicks player 2 out.  If anyone has evidence otherwise, I’d like to know.  

So I asked about this in the libretro Discord, and someone said it was possible. There is some settings that need to be changed though.

1 - Turn on "Show advanced settings". This is under Settings->User Interface. Do this for both setups.

2 - Go to Settings->Network on Host computer. You will see a bunch of "Request Device" with a number. Turn on Request Device 1 and 2.

3 - Go to Settings->Network on Client computer. Then turn on Request Device 3 and 4 (only turn on 3 and 4).

4 - Start netplay on Host computer. Then load up the ROM. At this point, if you are on a local network, you need to find your LOCAL IP address of the host computer. You can find this in a number of places. Easiest one is to go to a command prompt and type in "ipconfig" (no quotes). Your network card will show your local IP address (usually something like 192.168.#.#)

5 - On the Client computer, go under Netplay and choose "Connect to netplay host". Enter the IP address from #4. You should connect and then be able to play.

NOTE: If you are trying to do this from a remote computer (different locations), you should just be able to use the netplay room list to connect instead of using the local IP address and "Connect to netplay host" option.

Once you're done, set those Request Devices back to off if you plan on playing netplay in a different way (i.e. single player).