NHL'94 Forums

Going to an NHL'94 Live Tournament Guide Notes

To be honest, the only reason I know about Swingers is because it has NHL(PA)9(3)4 in it. So there's probably a huge percentage of the audience who won't get the reference. Still great/funny quotes independently though!

If you didn't see the movie Swingers, you just won't catch the references.  I don't think it affects the message.  If you DO remember the movie, then yes it makes it funnier.  One of my favorite GIFs that I made:

swingers_bullshit_med.gif

• Like 1

I made a terribul terribul terribul video like 10 years ago with a remix:

I go to the public events just to see someones soul leave their body when I setup a 5 pass one-timer... I just go for the bros, actually, and to hang out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've wracked my brain trying to come up with non-joke answers to this thread, and so far all I've got is this: Make sure you budget your sleep correctly. Especially if you're going to be playing competitively the next day, but even just to function. It's very important. You don't want to be a zombie after spending time and money to come to one of these things, it really dampens the experience.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CamKneely2 said:

I've wracked my brain trying to come up with non-joke answers to this thread, and so far all I've got is this: Make sure you budget your sleep correctly. Especially if you're going to be playing competitively the next day, but even just to function. It's very important. You don't want to be a zombie after spending time and money to come to one of these things, it really dampens the experience.

Or take a nap in the middle of the tournament, wake up and win it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this forum and would love to attend a live tournament if life ever returns to somewhat normal. I live in New England so I'd probably only be willing to travel to the NYC or maybe a Montreal tournament(although I've never been to Canada) since they're both within a reasonable driving distance. I don't travel much LOL. Is the NYC tournament strictly for Gens or both? I play mostly SNES but will play Gens if it's the only option.

I would agree with having different divisions(A, B, C) so people aren't deterred after getting smoked by an A player in a tournament and never returning due to costs of travel. Having lanyards or name tags with Discord and real names could be helpful and maybe even break the ice for some of the shyer people. It seems like it would be worth the trip for me personally even if I get tossed out of the tournament early so I could meet some new people. Whether it's the first time meeting someone after playing against them online or just meeting them for the first time regardless it would be cool.

I'm hoping a tournament eventually comes to Boston but who knows. I'm too disorganized to host one myself. I can barely plan a family BBQ. LOL

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

Is the NYC tournament strictly for Gens or both? I play mostly SNES but will play Gens if it's the only option.

Hey bud, the NYC tournament is Genesis, but this year we were going to bring an SNES console for @jmomonyc:)

The tournament is the format, and only one person wins, but these live events are meant to be fun for everyone.  It's great to meet, chat and play '94 with people who share the same love for the game!  Definitely would encourage making the trip if you can one day!

• Like 1

Anyone know if they still run an NHL94 tournament at that Hartford event?

NYC or Long Island are the places to go if you're driving from Boston though.

8 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Hartford is nice and close but Toronto I'd probably fly to. I've always wanted to go there.

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

They still run the World Retro Expo in Hartfod,  but for the last few years we have declined to run a '94 tournament. 

It's usually 2 weeks after the Long Island Retro Expo, at the beginning of September which is a busy time of year with schools starting, etc.  Hartford is a bit of a hike, and KO94 has also been scheduled in late September/early October.  All that adds up to a lot of wife equity that I (and likely @chaos ) don't have to cash in for another full day NHL'94 related event that we run for free/lose money. :lol:

Great venue though!

• Haha 1

I plan on hosting a live tourney in Philly with like 10 PVMs. Just gotta find the right place / atmosphere.

With the way things are going we'd need everyone to bring their own ballistic helmets and body armor; I'll rent a Hummer for transport.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, clockwise said:

I plan on hosting a live tourney in Philly with like 10 PVMs. Just gotta find the right place / atmosphere.

With the way things are going we'd need everyone to bring their own ballistic helmets and body armor; I'll rent a Hummer for transport.

Just get that same van you had in Toronto, it would suffice.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:36 AM, Edge of '94 Midwest said:

That's a Mort level maneuver.  His mid Tecmo tournament naps are legendary.

That was the kgman magic for King of 94 -1. Slept in the bar lounge for 3 hours while SNES was running haha

• Like 1