NHL'94 Forums

SEGA vs SNES - Rosters and Line up Differences

I'd been meaning to do this for a while and just point out some differences between the SNES and SEGA rosters.

I referenced the NHL'94 roster link which is based on the Sega version. https://nhl94.com/html/teamprofile.php?team=ANA

I'd perhaps request that @Evan look at providing an update to reflect both consoles from my notes below :D.

It's been noted that in Sega the expansion players appear twice in the game. Once on their original team and again on the team that drafted them. The duplicated players situation doesn't occur in SNES. I've always thought that ALL players on the Florida and Anaheim expansion teams were duplicated but have found this not to be the case.

Here's what I've learned.

ANAHEIM 

1. Both Console rosters are the same.

2. Bill Houlder, Bobby Dollas, Dennis Vial and Tim Sweeney  played in 1992-1993 season but were not in NHL'94 on their previous teams.

BOSTON 

1. Gord Murphy (expansion draft) is on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

2. When Line changes are off, Don Sweeney is starting in SNES. In Sega, it's Glen Wesley.

BUFFALO 

1. Bob Corkum (expansion draft) is on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

CALGARY 

1. Brian Skrudland and Alexander Godynyuk (expansion draft) are on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

CHICAGO

1. Stu Grimson (expansion draft) is on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

2. When Line changes are off, Michel Goulet is starting in SNES. In Sega, it's  Christian Ruutuu.

DALLAS

DETROIT

EDMONTON

1. Ron Tugnutt and Scott Mellanby (expansion draft) are on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

FLORIDA

2. Jesse Belanger played in 1992-1993 season but was not in NHL'94 on the previous team.

HARTFORD

1. Randy Ladouceur and Terry Yake (expansion draft) are on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

LOS ANGELES

1. Lonnie Loach (expansion draft) is on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

MONTREAL

1. Sean Hill (expansion draft) is on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

NEW JERSEY

1. Alexei Kasatonov (expansion draft) is on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

NY ISLANDERS

1. Mark Fitzpatrick and Tom Fitzgerald (expansion draft) are on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

2. Daniel Marois appeared in the SEGA version and not in the SNES version. He was not part of the expansion draft.

NY RANGERS

1. John Vanbiesbrouck, Steven King and Joe Cirella (expansion draft) are on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

2. Mike Richter is starting in SNES since there is no back up. In Sega, it's John Vanbiesbrouck.

OTTAWA

1. Tomas Jelinek  is listed as a forward in SEGA (Correct), but for some strange reason, he's a defenceman in SNES (incorrect).

PHILADELPHIA

1. Gord Hynes and Andrei Lomakin (expansion draft) are on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

PITTSBURGH

1. Troy Loney (expansion draft) is on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

QUEBEC

1. Bill Lindsay and Mike Hough (expansion draft) are on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

SAN JOSE

1. David Williams and Robin Bawa (expansion draft) are on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

2. When Line changes are off,  Johan Garpenlov is starting in SNES. In Sega, it's  Rob Gaudreau.

ST. LOUIS

1. Guy Hebert and Dave Lowry (expansion draft) are on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

TAMPA BAY

1. Randy Gilhen (expansion draft) is on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

TORONTO

VANCOUVER

1. Anatoli Semenov (expansion draft) is on the SEGA roster and not in SNES.

WASHINGTON

WINNIPEG

• Like 5

• halifax changed the title to SEGA vs SNES - Rosters and Line up Differences

Hey bud,

Some corrections - 

- Don Sweeney is a starter, Wesley is not in SEGA. (BOSTON)

- Goulet also is a starter in SEGA, not Ruutuu. (CHICAGO)

- Garpenlov is also a starter in SEGA, not Gaudreau (SAN JOSE)

EDIT: - Jelinek is listed as D in SEGA as well. (OTTAWA)

I just checked with classic rom.

I guess website is wrong? Or maybe based on a different revision of the game?

14 minutes ago, chaos said:

Hey bud,

Some corrections - 

- Don Sweeney is a starter, Wesley is not in SEGA. (BOSTON)

- Goulet also is a starter in SEGA, not Ruutuu. (CHICAGO)

- Garpenlov is also a starter in SEGA, not Gaudreau (SAN JOSE)

EDIT: - Jelinek is listed as D in SEGA as well. (OTTAWA)

I just checked with classic rom.

I guess website is wrong? Or maybe based on a different revision of the game?

Interesting to know.  I would think there must be a different version of the game as Evan is perfect and doesn’t make mistakes. 

I googled Jelinek and can’t find any instance where he played D. He always listed as a winger. 

• Like 1

Interesting.  I had taken that info directly from a version of the manual I had (and never assume the manual is right!).  In the PDF version of the manual on the nhl94.com website there are no indicators for who starters are?

Sorry about that, yes will need to update that info for sure to accommodate Sega and SNES versions.

-Evan

• 4 weeks later...