kgman

Coronoanoia and Covidspiracy Theories

19 hours ago, clockwise said:

The worlds first NHL95 world tournament and the apocalypse is upon us. Coincidence ? I think not. Expect Segathon to ride the 4 horses into August.

God help us all.

Ya don't think any live tourneys gonna be happening flights all banned from Europe ....stay safe life is gonna suck for next few years

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, kgman said:

Ya don't think any live tourneys gonna be happening flights all banned from Europe ....stay safe life is gonna suck for next few years

Naw. Swine flu infected over a billion people and killed less than a million. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, clockwise said:

Naw. Swine flu infected over a billion people and killed less than a million. 

This is ten times more deadly and 3 times more infectious ...I look at actions not parrot some bullshit China still in lockdown and commiting economic suicide this is not getting better soon

• Thanks 1

If you're young and healthy there's no reason to worry about the Corona "Virus". It's basically a glorified version of the flu. That's it. You have a far greater chance of dying in a car accident (or just the regular flu) than you do of dying from Corona. This is all much ado about nothing, but unfortunately many people will lose their livelyhoods thanks to this total overreaction.

Shutting down sports and now basically the entire U.S. economy is beyond pathetic. Unless you are an old sickly person with immune system problems, worrying about Corona is the equivalent of being fearful to leave your house because you might get struck by lightning.

Edited by superfan99
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, superfan99 said:

If you're young and healthy there's no reason to worry about the Corona "Virus". It's basically a glorified version of the flu. That's it. You have a far greater chance of dying in a car accident (or just the regular flu) than you do of dying from Corona. This is all much ado about nothing, but unfortunately many people will lose their livelyhoods thanks to this total overreaction.

Shutting down sports and now basically the entire U.S. economy is beyond pathetic. Unless you are an old sickly person with immune system problems, worrying about Corona is the equivalent of being fearful to leave your house because you might get struck by lightning.

Not sure if you are being serious or just trolling but I’ll bite. 

I disagree that shutting down sports (and any other events that have large amounts of people in one area) is a bad thing. 

while it’s true that most of us will be fine since those that are at higher risk are 

-are 60 years of age and over

-have a long-term medical condition – for example, heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, cancer or high blood pressure

-have a weak immune system (immunosuppressed)

Theres only so much capacity that hospitals can handle. There’s only so many doctors, nurses etc to help with patients that need care. If the healthcare system gets overwhelmed because a ton of people are all sick at the same time. Many of them, That really need medical attention, won’t get treatment because there isn’t the capacity to do so. So then their chances of survival decrease dramatically. 

This article gives a great break down of how viruses spread but also how but using social distancing to help reduce us getting sick sooner rather later(which is preferred)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like this post got infected with the Corona Virus, which makes sense since we share beer bongs....

Anyways, hoping life gets back to normal by summer so this can happen.  Gonna be a fun time, our crew is looking to go wild in Toronto too, who knows with all the delays maybe the Raptors and Leafs will be in the playoffs in August and we can experience that as well.

4 hours ago, halifax said:

Not sure if you are being serious or just trolling but I’ll bite. 

I disagree that shutting down sports (and any other events that have large amounts of people in one area) is a bad thing. 

while it’s true that most of us will be fine since those that are at higher risk are 

-are 60 years of age and over

-have a long-term medical condition – for example, heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, cancer or high blood pressure

-have a weak immune system (immunosuppressed)

Theres only so much capacity that hospitals can handle. There’s only so many doctors, nurses etc to help with patients that need care. If the healthcare system gets overwhelmed because a ton of people are all sick at the same time. Many of them, That really need medical attention, won’t get treatment because there isn’t the capacity to do so. So then their chances of survival decrease dramatically. 

This article gives a great break down of how viruses spread but also how but using social distancing to help reduce us getting sick sooner rather later(which is preferred)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

No not trolling, just upset because this country is so soft now and I know people personally who are/will be taking a big hit financially because of this.

The media wanted to whip everyone up into a frenzy and they have succeeded in their goal. Countless people who are "petrified" about getting this "virus" (aka the flu) have already had it and didn't even know it. It came, went through their system, and passed. Mild symptoms occurred.

Fear mongering at it's worst.

Edited by superfan99
  • Haha 1

Thank-you Doctor superfan99.

Meanwhile, real doctors are taking this very seriously.

In the end we're going to go "wow only x people died and we shut everything down for that?" but that's because we shut everything down. It's like how companies spent so much money on the y2k bug and then in the end nothing happened... I guess they shouldn't have spent all that money fixing the bug right?

If you're young and healthy there's no reason to worry about the Corona "Virus".

I kind of like my parents.

So sorry about your financial hit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smozoma said:

Thank-you Doctor superfan99.

Meanwhile, real doctors are taking this very seriously.

In the end we're going to go "wow only x people died and we shut everything down for that?" but that's because we shut everything down. It's like how companies spent so much money on the y2k bug and then in the end nothing happened... I guess they shouldn't have spent all that money fixing the bug right?

I kind of like my parents.

So sorry about your financial hit.

You don't need to be a Doctor to obtain basic information and research to find out what is real vs. what is media hype.

I have older relatives too. When my mom drives somewhere there's a chance she could die in a car accident. But I don't tell her to stay home and hide in a bubble.

The simple fact is our older relatives do things every day where they face a far greater risk of injury or death, but we never give any of those things a second thought.

The "financial hit" on the other hand means for many not being able to put food on the table for their families. Yeah, that upsets me.

Simply put, the risk of dying from Corona is so low it does not in any way shape or form justify destroying the entire U.S. economy.

The Government closing restaurants and other places is absurd and we are inching ever so closer to becoming a police state. And by the time people decide to wake up, it will be too late.

How long exactly should we hide under our beds and not go out? The way some people are responding to this situation is quite frankly embarrassing. This whole thing is ridiculous and pretty much everyone I've spoken with agrees.

There are reasons for this "panic" that have zero to do with health concerns. I'll leave it at that. 

Edited by superfan99
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, superfan99 said:

You don't need to be a Doctor to obtain basic information and research to find out what is real vs. what is media hype.

I have older relatives too. When my mom drives somewhere there's a chance she could die in a car accident. But I don't tell her to stay home and hide in a bubble.

The simple fact is our older relatives do things every day where they face a far greater risk of injury or death, but we never give any of those things a second thought.

The "financial hit" on the other hand means for many not being able to put food on the table for their families. Yeah, that upsets me.

Simply put, the risk of dying from Corona is so low it does not in any way shape or form justify destroying the entire U.S. economy.

The Government closing restaurants and other places is absurd and we are inching ever so closer to becoming a police state. And by the time people decide to wake up, it will be too late.

How long exactly should we hide under our beds and not go out? The way some people are responding to this situation is quite frankly embarrassing. This whole thing is ridiculous and pretty much everyone I've spoken with agrees.

There are reasons for this "panic" that have zero to do with health concerns. I'll leave it at that. 

The NBA, F1, all Europe's soccer leagues don't leave billions of dollars on the table for media hype, and every country's government falls for it, too.

The economy will be fine, families will be fine, and you won't be in a police state, stop panicking.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smozoma said:

The NBA, F1, all Europe's soccer leagues don't leave billions of dollars on the table for media hype, and every country's government falls for it, too.

The economy will be fine, families will be fine, and you won't be in a police state, stop panicking.

Unlike Corona, the economy crashing is actually something legitimate to panic about. It's unbelievable how people are reacting to something that is far less deadly than the common flu bug.

But as I said before, this panic was intentionally manufactured by the media (who have ulterior motives) and sadly, people are buying into it hook line and sinker.

Sadly, it just goes to show the power and influence the media has over people.

• Haha 1

If there was a vaccine tomorrow that would prevent you and your family from contracting and potentially dying from this disease - how much would you pay? 

What if you could get the same results by staying home, and avoiding the viral spreading of it? 

Vaccines, seatbelts, luggage scans, speed limits, gun licences.. all designed to keep the public safe. Should you choose to ignore any of those precautions, you only increase the risk of injury and death.

As for the stock market - the only losers right now are the ones selling into the downturn. Companies may have tough quarters, but most are strong dividend payers and have strong balance sheets - and institutional buyers are getting these stocks for half-price right now. It took a year, but those that hung on through the 2008 meltdown made it all back. Those that sold on the way down - or at the bottom of the market lost 40%+.

If you know people are at a higher risk of dying from this virus, do what you can to help them. If you know people who are suffering financially during this health crisis, do what you can to help them too.

Be practical, know the risks, stay safe.

Play NHL94 online.

Edited by jer_33
  • Like 3

Doctors are concerned because it's a new strain and they don't understand it yet. People with weak immune systems and underlying conditions are at high risk for anything.

They aren't even testing people who don't have severe symptoms. So the numbers are a lot higher than what is reported, and the death rate is a lot lower than what is reported.

This is a good article I came across, with fair reporting - https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/

I agree that you should stay away from your older loved ones. The same way you should if you contracted the flu, a bad cold, pneumonia, etc.

The problem is the media took the story and ran with it. It's not as bad as the media reports it, but its not as mild as some of the public perceives. But, mass hysteria is already going on, so theres no going back. The media succeeded in what they wanted to do. Social media can be very persuasive, and is going to be the downfall of our species and possibly civilization.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11SCI-VIRUS-TRACKER1-jumbo.jpg

Don't all patients with flu get the proper treatment each year even without any protective measures? 

Edited by DominikJagr

Flu shots are a major protective measure.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 6:23 PM, smozoma said:

When checking graphs and comparing them (US and Italy) I am afraid in the end theyre going to go "we should have shut everything down much earlier and measurements should have been much more drastic, now its too late". 

This Corona is disaster and it might get worse, viruses tend to change their genome or to mutate and unlike the flu people know a s..t about it. We might be just at the beginning of something more serious. 

2 hours ago, jer_33 said:

Flu shots are a major protective measure.

I meant protective measures which are taken now against corona disease. 

There are none or very few each year against the flu and practically everybody gets treatment, hospitals are not overwhelmed like they were in China or they are now in Italy. Maybe a vaccine would make that "its just a flu" true but there is none yet.

Many think for young (and healthy) people there is nothing to worry about because young ppl die rarely due to corona disease. Thats true (according to what we know now) but some also need ventilators to fight the disease and to survive. When the healthcare system capacity will be overwhelmed, young people start dying just like old people are dying in Italy. They do not die there because of illness itself, they are dying there because they do not get the treatment at all because its simply not possible. All of them would get the treatment and most of them would survive if the capacity wasnt overwhelmed. But it is. When it gets out of hands, and it may get out of hands pretty quick, doctors have to make life-or-death decisions. It puts huge burden on health system and there is probably not a single country in the world prepared for it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/business/coronavirus-ventilator-shortage.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/u-s-hospital-association-warns-limited-number-ventilators-if-coronavirus-n1161896

Edited by DominikJagr

1 hour ago, DominikJagr said:

When checking graphs and comparing them (US and Italy) I am afraid in the end theyre going to go "we should have shut everything down much earlier and measurements should have been much more drastic, now its too late". 

This Corona is disaster and it might get worse, viruses tend to change their genome or to mutate and unlike the flu people know a s..t about it. We might be just at the beginning of something more serious. 

I meant protective measures which are taken now against corona disease. 

There are none or very few each year against the flu and practically everybody gets treatment, hospitals are not overwhelmed like they were in China or they are now in Italy. Maybe a vaccine would make that "its just a flu" true but there is none yet.

Many think for young (and healthy) people there is nothing to worry about because young ppl die rarely due to corona disease. Thats true (according to what we know now) but some also need ventilators to fight the disease and to survive. When the healthcare system capacity will be overwhelmed, young people start dying just like old people are dying in Italy. They do not die there because of illness itself, they are dying there because they do not get the treatment at all because its simply not possible. All of them would get the treatment and most of them would survive if the capacity wasnt overwhelmed. But it is. When it gets out of hands, and it may get out of hands pretty quick, doctors have to make life-or-death decisions. It puts huge burden on health system and there is probably not a single country in the world prepared for it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/business/coronavirus-ventilator-shortage.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/u-s-hospital-association-warns-limited-number-ventilators-if-coronavirus-n1161896

No way you can compare us to Italy right now. There are 64 cases in the US in serious/critical condition. Italy currently has 2,257 cases in serious/critical condition.

Population wise, there are currently 28 cases per 1M population in the US. Italy has 591 per 1M. We have a much larger hospital infrastructure than Italy. 

The flu has a vaccine and it still kills 40k a season in the US. What did we do before the flu vaccine? Got the flu and stayed home.

A vastly large majority of these cases will be the same - stay home and recover.

9 hours ago, chaos said:

No way you can compare us to Italy right now. There are 64 cases in the US in serious/critical condition. Italy currently has 2,257 cases in serious/critical condition.

Population wise, there are currently 28 cases per 1M population in the US. Italy has 591 per 1M. We have a much larger hospital infrastructure than Italy. 

The flu has a vaccine and it still kills 40k a season in the US. What did we do before the flu vaccine? Got the flu and stayed home.

A vastly large majority of these cases will be the same - stay home and recover.

No way Italy could be compared to China couple of weeks ago...

Cases do not say much without the number how many people have been tested. 

US can be compared to Italy in the infection trajectory. Unfortunately USA is just couple of days behind Italy. 

Edit: About testing: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-testing-us-q-and-a-availability-shortage

About testing, corona general and comparing the trajectory with other countries: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/3/13/21178289/confirmed-coronavirus-cases-us-countries-italy-iran-singapore-hong-kong

I dont know nothing about US hospital infrastructure but according to this (the Vox article):

So we don’t yet know the full extent of the outbreak, but we do know America was less prepared for a pandemic than other countries in the first place. The US’s high uninsured rate, high out-of-pocket health care costs, and low medical system capacity combined to make the country more vulnerable to a pathogen before the coronavirus ever came to our shores. 

there are more thing to consider when talking about preparedness. 

When people and medical staff in China and Italy say Do not understimate it, its much worse than you thought etc., they probably know what they are talking about.

I am not happy with the situation in the world, there is almost no sport, no big sport events, plenty of cancelled leagues and tournaments, maybe Olympic games will be cancelled too, it sucks. Plus the economic impact. But from what we know so far the sooner countries start doing something about it the sooner they come back to normal or at least almost normal. China for instance. Understimating it and doing nothing or doing something too late (plenty other countries) will result in much more serious socio-economic consequences. 

Edited by DominikJagr

I just googled "expert medical advice and opinions on Coronavirus" and it took me here.  

So strange...

Edited by The Sauce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, DominikJagr said:

You may be right on the first... The next 2 weeks will be "interesting". And anyway I was wrong since places like Italy definitely won't think it was all for nothing.

One lucky thing is that apparently this particular type of virus doesn't mutate much.

5 hours ago, The Sauce said:

I just googled "expert medical advice and opinions on Coronavirus" and it took me here.  

So strange...

LMAO

It's a conspiracy alright.. started by BIG DELIVERY...Uber Eats, Hello Fresh, Chef's Plate, Good Food, Skip the Dishes...... they're all in on it!!! 

They wanted to get people ordering food to their homes more... that's gotta be it.... right?

• Haha 2

For some scale, worldwide the regular flu kills between 200k-500k people per year, which is 548 - 1,370 per day.

Currently people just in Italy are dying at about a 146k/year rate (400/day for the past 5 days).

• Like 1

So it looks like the mask to protect us is an N95 mask and not a N94 mask.  Makes sense to me...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, smozoma said:

For some scale, worldwide the regular flu kills between 200k-500k people per year, which is 548 - 1,370 per day.

Currently people just in Italy are dying at about a 146k/year rate (400/day for the past 5 days).

The median age of dead people is ~80 in Italy and median of people in hospitals is ~66 there. But plenty of them, in the last days maybe most of them, dont get the treatment at all, its not possible. 

12 minutes ago, segathon said:

So it looks like the mask to protect us is an N95 mask and not a N94 mask.  Makes sense to me...

NHL-95-Tribes-MapRetro.jpg

x5n5vyo.png

presidents-day-segathon.jpg

source.gif

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, clockwise said:

NHL-95-Tribes-MapRetro.jpg

x5n5vyo.png

presidents-day-segathon.jpg

source.gif