NHL'94 Forums

Help with FIFA Soccer 2020 (FIFA 95 Hack) - Assembly

Hi all,

I started the last year a hack of FIFA Soccer 95, that I'm calling FIFA Soccer 2020 because I am updating to 2019-2020 season.
The first idea was just an update of players, teams, first and second kits, etc. After long time working and analyzing the rom I had more interest in doing something more serious, so I went further, such as insert new audios to the game, music, add new graphics, design banners, add a new intro or header to the game. I can say I am in an intermediate level.
After this introduction I am going to explain what I would like to correct.

I did a new intro for the game. Instead of showing the classical EA Sports screen, an audio saying "TA Sports - FIFA Soccer 2020" sounds, and after that, the following instruction is a screen of "TA Sports."
Well, the problem is just there: What I want is the logo with the correspondent colors, but no showing the graphics of the colors.
What I did for the intro (in Hex):

4E B9 00 05 F5 C4 22 3C 00 20 F0 00 24 7C 00 20 F0 00 30 1A 33 C0 00 C0 00 00 51 C9 FF F6 30 3C 60 00 -> White background of the logo on the top

4E B9 00 05 F5 C4 22 3C 00 00 07 FF 24 7C 00 1F EC 00 30 1A 33 C0 00 C0 00 00 51 C9 FF F6 30 3C 70 00 -> First part of the logo

4E B9 00 05 F5 C4 22 3C 00 00 09 FF 24 7C 00 20 04 00 30 1A 33 C0 00 C0 00 00 51 C9 FF F6 30 3C 84 00 -> Second part of the logo

4E B9 00 05 F5 C4 22 3C 00 00 15 FF 24 7C 00 20 1C 00 30 1A 33 C0 00 C0 00 00 51 C9 FF F6 26 BC C0 00 -> Third part of the logo.

00 00 22 3C 00 00 00 0F 24 7C 00 10 61 7C 30 1A 33 C0 00 C0 00 00 51 C9 FF F6 30 3C FF 80 -> Colors shown in the intro (in green the colors of the intro address)

I am going to show a couple of pics in order to be understood clearly.

TA Logo wanted.pngTA Logo showed.png

I know that there is an error in the instructions given in the last part, after the third part logo.
Anybody who has notions of Assembly (Motorola 68000), what would the correct instructions be in order to get an intro like the first pic?

Thank you so much in advance.

PS: I got some info in this forum (specially from Wboy to start with hacking EA Sports videogames -how to eliminate the checksum routine-), so I credited this forum in this game that is on the point to finish.

Great, T.A. Marcos! NHL 94 Foruns really is the place to get answers, so many users interested not only in NHL 94, but in all things related to Hack on Sega Genesis and that may help them on NHL94.

I´m part of the project too. We're doing a hard work on this one, as we did on Super Monaco GP before. T.A. Marcos first knew me here when I'd discovered the exclamation+3 letter codes for all shirt colors on Fifa 95 https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18475-hacks-of-non-nhl-games/&do=findComment&comment=173449  , so my Fifa World Cup Russia 18 evolved into this much larger project , I need to thank T.A. Marcos to be so compromised with this, different from some guys on A GC Janco Tianno that never did anything to help the older one.

Additionally to T.A. Marcos request, to delete those annoying color interference on the logo, we need to ask you, if there's some way to put my voice in the start merged with the Logo graphics (on the video, the old graphic, starting at 0:01)

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/fifa20video_mpeg4.mp4

And, if not so much...lol... there is any way to add a portion (copy the section) of another game into other (insert)? Let me explain, there is a Fifa International Soccer (94) hacked to Fifa South Africa 2010 with an awesome intro with graphics and sounds....

Thanks,

Nelson and T.A. Marcos

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your problem.

But you say you have modified the music in FIFA 95.. can you point me to a resource for that? We would love to know how to write new music for NHL94.

Also, what modifications were made to Super Monaco GP? I loved that game, but once you've learned how to win, it's too easy (I remember purposely losing to get the worst car, then challenging the top team on Australia, winning, and getting promoted straight to like the 3rd car).

Hi smozoma,

I don't want to be misunderstood. I said I had added/inserted new music, but no modifying the music of the menus.
Analyzing the ROM what I got were just the samples (drums, effects, riffs) of the music. What I think is every single song is not inserted as a *.wav file or any other format. It is sequenced with instructions given using the appropriate samples in its right time and on its right channel.

How I inserted the music with the audio voice:
1st step: Find an empty (useless) area in the ROM.
2nd step: Give instructions for the music to be played as follows:
Address: x05F5F0 - Hex from that Address:
33 FC 01 00 00 A1 11 00 33 FC 01 00 00 A1 12 00 41 F9 00 05 F6 62 43 F9 00 A0 00 00 30 3C 00 E2 12 D8 53 40 66 00 FF FA 33 FC 00 00 00 A1 11 00 20 3C 00 20 50 00 22 3C 00 00 FF 80 61 04 60 00 01 14 33 FC 01 00 00 A1 11 00 41 F9 00 A0 00 39 10 FC 00 01 10 C0 E0 88 10 C0 E0 88 10 C0 10 C1 E0 89 10 C1 E0 89 10 81 33 FC 00 00 00 A1 11 00 4E 75 C3 46

In red: jump subroutine 00 05 F6 62 -> It is pointing C3 after rts (Return to Subroutine) - Here is important the address you are going to choose must be that one that point the C3 value after rts.
In yellow: 00 20 50 00 is the address where I inserted a wav file with the audio. Of course, I enlarged the ROM.
In purple: FF 80 First byte is the length of the audio inserted. More value, longer. Less value, shorter. As you can see I used the maximum. Second byte is the pitch of the audio, you can play with this value and find the suitable pitch.

What else? Yes. We have to give an instruction for this to be played, at the intro, so:
3rd step:
Go to address x0288 -> You'll find this: 46 FC 27 00 60 6C 80 00. Replace it giving an instruction to the audio inserted like this -> 4E F9 00 05 F5 F0 80 00, what is marked in red is the address where we inserted the instructions for the audio.

Regarding the audio itself, Jeff van Dyck and Kevin Pickell (EA Composer and Sound Programmer) told about the sound attributes they used for this game like this:

They use a frequency of 11025hz
Code: PCM 8-bit unsigned
Byte order: Little Endian
Mono channel

With the exception of "EA Sports" voice, they used a worse quality, same frequency but coding ADPCM 4-bits , I think.

So, knowing the YM2612 is going to play a worse quality that I inserted the idea was as follows:
Insert a better quality audio, 16600hz or 22050hz. The inconvenience here is you will need more space in the hex.
Insert the same quality 11025hz but modifying the tempo to a faster tempo and high notes. No worries here because the Sega Genesis sound driver play it deeper and slower. So here you can play with the tempos and the pitch.

Then, save your audio as a wav or bin file. Go to hex, open that file and start copying from the first 00 after the word "data". That's the real information, what you get before data is the header of the audio file and it is not needed.

FIFA Hack.png

FIFAOriginal.png

Edited by TA_Marcos_Translations
  • Thanks 1

Super Monaco GP: The Process:

- Nelson came up with Super Monaco GP Brunette version (in Brazil Morena version) in 2017-2018. He modified the colors of the cars like original ones, the menus, and the tracks. Also he translated the rom into portuguese (of all the plain text) and he modified the name of the cars, even comprised text like the big yellow letters of the main title of the teams.

- On Feb 2019 I went for Super Monaco GP En Español 1.0, just a color hack, translation into Spanish of the plain text and those comprised texts of above.

- On May 2019 I released the version 2.0 with the following modifications compared to original game - Super Mónaco GP: Desafío Zakspeed -
GRAPHIC:
  * Inserted digitized pictures of real drivers of the 1989 FIA Formula One World Championship.
  * Inserted spanish ñ
TEXT or HEX:
  *Updated chassis of the cars (now every single one is real)
  *Updated engine of the cars (now every single one is real)
  *Grand Prix order is updated according to the 1989 FIA Formula One World Championship, as boxes instructions are their correspondent.
  *Corrected driver’s names and nationalities.
  * For a challenging game, player starts driving the worst team, ZAKSPEED.
  * Modified comprised texts like qualifying and results.
COLORS:
  * New weather or time in some Grand Prix.
  * New color design for menus.
 CORRECTED FROM 1.0 version:
  *Corrected big yellow characters of the team’s names
  * Corrected challenge team list: .
  *Programmed results altered.

Two weeks ago I released the ultimate version 2.1 with just a few changes:
* New pics for Nelson Piquet, Ivan Capelli, Andrea de Cesaris and Ayrton Senna, because I thought their portraits details made in 2.0. were really poor
* Benetton has its 4 colors like 1989 season.
* Corrected the pitch of the voices and some tempos of the sound. Now the voices don't sound like a drunk Donald Duck.

Besides this, on July 2019 I released Super Monaco GP 2019 with the current drivers and F1 2019 World Championship season.
I rewrote most of the script of the game in English.

More information or downloads:
My blog in Spanish

https://ta-marcos-translations.blogspot.com/

My youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYKn2MQj95L3wDDvGztGTyQ

Nelson's YT channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG_yDbU5r1xFyEhnbvx07fQ

For the title screen - my guess is that you didn't change the header information of the picture to the new size.  So what is happening is, I think, it's grabbing the color palette tile as your final repeatable tile.  

Did you move the title screen to a new empty part of the ROM and decompress -- i.e. remove shared tiles? Or is this still in the original location and you just manipulated the title a bit?

I am pretty sure I can figure this out for you -- can you post the ROM and the pointer locations/any information you have?  I'll take a look.  

3 hours ago, TA_Marcos_Translations said:

Hi smozoma,

I don't want to be misunderstood. I said I had added/inserted new music, but no modifying the music of the menus.
Analyzing the ROM what I got were just the samples (drums, effects, riffs) of the music. What I think is every single song is not inserted as a *.wav file or any other format. It is sequenced with instructions given using the appropriate samples in its right time and on its right channel.

How I inserted the music with the audio voice:
1st step: Find an empty (useless) area in the ROM.
2nd step: Give instructions for the music to be played as follows:
Address: x05F5F0 - Hex from that Address:
33 FC 01 00 00 A1 11 00 33 FC 01 00 00 A1 12 00 41 F9 00 05 F6 62 43 F9 00 A0 00 00 30 3C 00 E2 12 D8 53 40 66 00 FF FA 33 FC 00 00 00 A1 11 00 20 3C 00 20 50 00 22 3C 00 00 FF 80 61 04 60 00 01 14 33 FC 01 00 00 A1 11 00 41 F9 00 A0 00 39 10 FC 00 01 10 C0 E0 88 10 C0 E0 88 10 C0 10 C1 E0 89 10 C1 E0 89 10 81 33 FC 00 00 00 A1 11 00 4E 75 C3 46

In red: jump subroutine 00 05 F6 62 -> It is pointing C3 after rts (Return to Subroutine) - Here is important the address you are going to choose must be that one that point the C3 value after rts.
In yellow: 00 20 50 00 is the address where I inserted a wav file with the audio. Of course, I enlarged the ROM.
In purple: FF 80 First byte is the length of the audio inserted. More value, longer. Less value, shorter. As you can see I used the maximum. Second byte is the pitch of the audio, you can play with this value and find the suitable pitch.

What else? Yes. We have to give an instruction for this to be played, at the intro, so:
3rd step:
Go to address x0288 -> You'll find this: 46 FC 27 00 60 6C 80 00. Replace it giving an instruction to the audio inserted like this -> 4E F9 00 05 F5 F0 80 00, what is marked in red is the address where we inserted the instructions for the audio.

Regarding the audio itself, Jeff van Dyck and Kevin Pickell (EA Composer and Sound Programmer) told about the sound attributes they used for this game like this:

They use a frequency of 11025hz
Code: PCM 8-bit unsigned
Byte order: Little Endian
Mono channel

With the exception of "EA Sports" voice, they used a worse quality, same frequency but coding ADPCM 4-bits , I think.

So, knowing the YM2612 is going to play a worse quality that I inserted the idea was as follows:
Insert a better quality audio, 16600hz or 22050hz. The inconvenience here is you will need more space in the hex.
Insert the same quality 11025hz but modifying the tempo to a faster tempo and high notes. No worries here because the Sega Genesis sound driver play it deeper and slower. So here you can play with the tempos and the pitch.

Then, save your audio as a wav or bin file. Go to hex, open that file and start copying from the first 00 after the word "data". That's the real information, what you get before data is the header of the audio file and it is not needed.

FIFA Hack.png

FIFAOriginal.png

I NEED TO TRY THIS OMG.  

Thank you for sharing.  From what I read, you are actually using straight audio from a wav. file and using the hex values in the ROM?  I am trying this tonight!

Hi kingraph,

Thanks for you reply.
Definitely yes, it is grabbing the color palette also. That's the point.
I moved the title screen to a new empty part starting from 00 1F EC 00, and  I chosed the original colors address for EA Sports (00 10 61 7C)
All these instructions I made them just above of 00 06 00 00, where there is a big empty area.

I am gonna share what I have done until now with you in a PM.
Thanks for your help

Smozoma , Tabs 3121 and kingraph thanks so much for your reply.

At first we was worried if anyone will reply .....lol .... but MD Scene is great and game hackers help each other and in the end you can use the knowledge on NHL 94 and others on the series.

As T.A. Marcos said, Super Monaco GP I'd started with color changes and simple texts , with a huge search over internet, I´d find how to mess with the yellow letters, but the goal I wanted to do was to change Driver's pics with real ones, I´d all the tools for that and all the process, but was doing an error when on Tile Editor, not respecting tile position.... So T.A. Marcos with the tools I gave him, could realize how to.... and... voilá ....   wweQU5f.jpg

Don't you think he may teach Sega? :lol:  People on Facebook Super Monaco GP's Community are very proud of this work (we play championships as you play NHL 94 till today)

Super Monaco GP will get 30 years in October 2020 and it´s 90% completed what we want... Only left 3 things....

- Change car specs

- Edit a track (we think that on the Hex section of a track there may be a straight, turn to left, turn to right, tunnel...etc...

- Change sounds... no success yet , only voice pitch changed by T.A. Marcos, so.... no more Donald Duck voices.

Nelson

• Like 1

Hello FIFA legends, thank you so much for the amazing work you're doing.  I had no idea these audio files were so big, Is there a way to get around it, like take a sound and code for that sound to repeat until the desired song is made? some of the songs you have like ohohohohohoh, could you repeat that string to make a smaller code size in hex?

Edited by Jamiesoccer

That repeating sounds like crowd chants are programmed. It is possible to insert a sound to be repeatead as much as you can, but what is the point of that? There is no need to enlarge a rom for it, that's why that is programmed.

I hope I can solve those questions.

Best,

TA Marcos

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 4:19 AM, halifax said:

did you finish this hack? would love to try it out. thanks!

Gretzky was correct. It is that one. Hack was "officially" released the 30th of June, one month ago.
That's just the patch.
You are going to need Lunar IPS tool and the original FIFA Soccer 95 rom to convert into a binary ROM file.

Best,

TA Marcos Translations

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi good day. Please I would like to know how the location of the tile maps is in a ROM and thus change them for others since I am trying to recover a game that was sold in my country Argentina that when the ROM is dumped, it runs correctly but with the graphics changed. This is a JLeague Hack but with the national teams. I'm from making hack games and I upload them to my sharing site but I only edited the unzipped sprites and I use an exagesimal editor to make them but I never had the need to locate the sprites and place them in another part of the rom. Another thing that I would like to know is how the roms are expanded since one of my theories is that the game is not reading the compressed graphics and only loads those added by the author of the rom and in that case I will have to add them but without compressing. Cordial greetings and I hope you can guide me. thanks.

• 11 months later...