NHL'94 Forums

Splash Screen and WBoys 30 team Rom

AtomicRaven

Hello.

I have recently enter the world of ROM hacking and I will say, amazing job boys, esp. @smozoma and @wboy!!

I am attempting to build the following ROM:

• Classic Roster
  • 99min OT
  • WBF
  • 1 min Penalties
  • Y Button Goalie control
  • Custom Splash Screen(s)

I have a few questions, apologies if they've been answered. I seem to suck at searching on the forums.   Mostly I've been following @CoachMac compendium here:  https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18072-steps-to-building-a-94-rom/ 

I started with a nhl94_playoffs rom.  Added WBF hack (both of them using smozeses .exe's), added 1min penalty hack through Hex Workshop.  Then the problems started.  I couldn't figure out how to edit graphics. Specifically the starting splash EA logo. None of the tutorials worked for me, and I couldn't find the graphics in the offsets.  Then I realized the tutorials are for Wboys 30 team ROM which has uncompressed graphics.  It seems we can only edit graphics easily on the WBoy 30 team ROM? 

I tried to convert my nhl_playoffs.bin hacked ROM using SPATCH.exe from  https://forum.nhl94.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5020 

At first i thought it worked as the ROM ran and I saw updated graphics, but once gameplay started there were errors.

Questions:

1) Are there are two Roms that are hacked separately?

• WBOys 30 Team ROM for hacking graphics
  • Regular ROM which can be hacked using all the tools wboy and smoz created

2) Can I convert a regular ROM to the 30 team ROM so i can hack graphics after I apply some hacks?

3) Can someone point me to the Y-Button goalie control hack?  I can find the ROM, but can't find the actual hack.

4) Does anyone have the offsets / instructions for editing the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd splash screens when the ROM loads?  Can't find them.

Thanks!

Edited by AtomicRaven

30 team and original ROM are two different ROMs.  the 30 team expanded to 2 MB vs 1MB to make room for all the new graphics.  And as such all of the locations of the splash screens, etc are different.  And the 32 team rom is also different location.  

Look at my ROM list, I'm sure the 30 team base is available.

goalie_control_patch.zip (goalie control patch)

use wboy's ROM for the offsets.  It's easier.  

You can always expand the original ROM and redo the graphics and offsets yourself.  But it's probably easier to just use the 30 team ROM as you have the playbook done.

1 hour ago, kingraph said:

You can always expand the original ROM and redo the graphics and offsets yourself.  But it's probably easier to just use the 30 team ROM as you have the playbook done.

Thanks Raph - I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

One question still - Do I:

• apply hacks (like SmozRom, Ybutton hack) to 30 team roms and then edit graphics, OR
  •  apply hacks to normal rom and then convert to 30 team ROM?

Edited by AtomicRaven