NHL'94 Forums

NHL 06's NHL 94 rosters

Now that I know that NHL 94 is included on NHL 06 for the PS2, I have a question regarding the rosters.

I read that the rosters are "fake", understandably due to licensing issues. But how fake are they? Are the player attributes the same, meaning we can decipher who they are in real life?

I'd love to find a list of the original rosters and 06's to compare.

41 minutes ago, supersoundwave said:

That's great, thanks smozoma.

I saw your message in that thread which you said  "someone could put together a table mapping the fake player names to the real ones".

Do you know if anyone ever did that, or if one exists?

Nope, no one's done it. It could be done pretty easily using the Roster Extractor if you wanted to give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of NHL 06 arrived arrived today, and I was seriously going to take a stab at table-mapping all of the fake player names to the real ones. But after going through some of the rosters on 06's version of NHL 94, they don't quite line up to the original versions.

For example, The Leafs have an extra goalie in 06's (three netminders as compared to 94's two), and there is someone with a 73 rating in 06's version that isn't found on the Leafs original '94 roster.

When going the other way, I checked out The LA Kings. Luc Robitaille's 85 rating in '94 is nowhere to be found on The Kings roster in the '06 version. That makes me wonder which "fake player" he is, if he's ever there at all.

Of course there are some obvious ones that are based off real players, but it looks like the rosters vary from the original versions. Disappointing since I was really looking forward to matching everyone up to their real-life counterparts.

Edit: I downloaded the rom today, just to compare. It looks like the manual isn't accurate to the actual in-game roster.

Edited by supersoundwave

The ratings vary slightly each game. For Robitaille, look to see if there is a guy with 99 shooting accuracy (since 99 is always 99, while the others vary up to 18 points each game (81-98 is the same rating, under the hood)

Interesting about the Leafs goalies!
The leafs had grant Fuhr for part of the 92-93 season. I wonder if the extra goalie is meant to be him.

I was introduced to NHL ‘94 through this version.

From what I remember, most players in the PS2 version have a jersey number that’s 10 lower than their real-life counterpart.

Mario Lemieux’s counterpart is #56, Roenick’s is #17 and so on.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:11 PM, Premium said:

I was introduced to NHL ‘94 through this version.

From what I remember, most players in the PS2 version have a jersey number that’s 10 lower than their real-life counterpart.

Mario Lemieux’s counterpart is #56, Roenick’s is #17 and so on.

That’s a brilliant find, thanks!