NHL'94 Forums

Your Favorite Player...regardless of logical ratings and rational thinking

Who is it?  Who is your ride or die?  Who is that player who you'd skate into a money game against a NHL 94 real deal gamer and even though you know they might not have the best numbers or maybe they're a weight bug casualty...whatever it is...who is that player who you like to play NHL 94 with more than any other?

I started off with Cam Neely back in 1993 and then I moved to Joe Juneau and then on to Pavel Bure and then to Pat Lafontaine...and then to Joe Sakic...and then to Mario Lemieux... even though I hated the Penguins back in the 90s.  I still like to run a game back with all these players and score buckets of goals.  So who you got?  

• smozoma changed the title to Your Favorite Player...regardless of logical ratings and rational thinking

My first 94 bff was Russ Courtnall, but now he drives me crazy because of his low stick handling.  Crazily, my favorite players are now defenseman.  Gimme Stevens, Bourque, or Iafrate and I'm a happy man. On offense, I have a soft spot for Pat LaFontaine.  

Robitaille is the objectively better player but give me Granato any day over him at RW. Hawerchuk gets dogged a lot but he's still someone I rely on heavily when using Buffalo. And then there is always my good friend Chris Kontos in TB, perfect trigger man.

On defense I really like Leschyshyn over any of the other QUE dmen and I think Lidster and Lumme are a real solid pairing despite getting a lot of hate in tier 1. 

In net, give me Kelly Hrudey, he and I have been through some battles and I'd gladly lean on him again.

Offense: Mats Sundin. For some reason he always plays better for me than his ratings. I've also had him for a ton of draft leagues so maybe I'm just used to his AI and ability. Second for me would be Doug Gilmour.

Defense: Ray Bourque. Despite his weight, he's got a killer shot, great skills, and his AI is aggressive, to the point you can don't have to switch to him on D, he can do it all himself. I also like Ulf Samuelsson.

Goalie: Andy Moog. Easy to use manual GC with. Moves like a dream.

10 hours ago, kingraph said:

On offense, I have a soft spot for Pat LaFontaine.  

My 8 yr old daughter's been racking up some NHL 94 hours in between her grueling 2nd grade distance learning curriculum...she won't touch her Sharks 'cause they're no good in 94 but she's turning into #16's biggest fan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, angryjay93 said:

Robitaille is the objectively better player but give me Granato any day over him at RW...

In net, give me Kelly Hrudey, he and I have been through some battles and I'd gladly lean on him again.

Back in 1994, I was a LA Kings hater because of LA...so I missed out on playing with the Kings...now that I don't care about hating LA anymore, they are pretty fun to play with...although I haven't found a way to get past my anti-Hrudey bias yet.

Theo Fleury and Robert Reichel.  Fell in love with that Chroma Red colored Flames on the Sega Genesis when I was a young pup.  

Edited by segathon

(SNES)

At forward: Cam Neely is pretty awesome. To me, he might be the best combo of size and skill in the game, at forward. I like how he plays a bit better than other big scorers like Lemieux and Lindros. I find he moves a bit better, quicker. I also like Claude Lemieux because he just destroys guys. He's massive, but he can still skate. Super fun to use, even if he misses the net a lot.

On D: Fetisov. He is a rock on D. Very low rating for speed, but massive size and agility lets him destroy guys. He also has good stickhandling so he can lug the puck up ice and absorb hits. 

Goalie: Frankly, I don't give a damn