NHL'94 Forums

Hi I'm new here. Any SNES best line/5 min/no penalty players?

DanK

Greetings my fellow enjoyers of the best f**king hockey video game ever created!

I just discovered this wonderful interweb-based haven for the greatest invention of mankind (NHL'94 hockey) this very evening. My personal poison is the SNES version. I was always a Sega/Genesis fanboy growing up, but once SNES introduced defense control on the shoulder buttons, well, lets just say that was right around the time I turned 14 and I was quite excitable, to say the least. It's the f**king best game ever. 

That being said, I have most always strictly played top-line/5 min periods/manual goalie/no penalties. That's how me and my friends measured ourselves in terms of "the best". Do many people here play that way in tournaments, or is it mostly penalties and line changes on?

Regardless, its a damn pleasure to find a place like this. It's like that movie Field of Dreams except it's NHL'94 Hockey. I love it. 

Brass Bonanza forever,

DanK

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DanK said:

Greetings my fellow enjoyers of the best f**king hockey video game ever created!

I just discovered this wonderful interweb-based haven for the greatest invention of mankind (NHL'94 hockey) this very evening. My personal poison is the SNES version. I was always a Sega/Genesis fanboy growing up, but once SNES introduced defense control on the shoulder buttons, well, lets just say that was right around the time I turned 14 and I was quite excitable, to say the least. It's the f**king best game ever. 

That being said, I have most always strictly played top-line/5 min periods/manual goalie/no penalties. That's how me and my friends measured ourselves in terms of "the best". Do many people here play that way in tournaments, or is it mostly penalties and line changes on?

Regardless, its a damn pleasure to find a place like this. It's like that movie Field of Dreams except it's NHL'94 Hockey. I love it. 

Brass Bonanza forever,

DanK

Welcome Dan!  The format you mention is very similar to how we play most online leagues and live tournaments.  The only difference is we typically do penalties on, no offsides.  

Hopefully you get yourself online for some games!

10 hours ago, smozoma said:

Welcome! Quick question, how did you find this website? Just googled it, or saw it mentioned on some other website?

He was probably on twitter and someone told him about the site and king of 94. 

11 hours ago, smozoma said:

Welcome! Quick question, how did you find this website? Just googled it, or saw it mentioned on some other website?

1 hour ago, halifax said:

He was probably on twitter and someone told him about the site and king of 94. 

Yep halifax is correct. I was talking smack to a buddy on twitter about how i wanted online play for the SNES version of the game, and the nhl94.com account jumped into the thread to educate me. I downloaded that RetroArch program; now i just have to find myself a suitable gamepad and order that sumbitch through amazon or something. Thank you for the welcome, and I hope to run into you guys soon!

Quick question: does that software have any noticeable lag, or is it as smooth as playing the originals?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DanK said:

Quick question: does that software have any noticeable lag, or is it as smooth as playing the originals?

The lag depends on the internet connection between the two players. If you're near the other person, lag will be maybe 30-70ms, which isn't very noticeable. Playing cross-continent it can get over 100ms which feels worse. (many people waste money buying the most expensive internet package to try to make it better, but it just doesn't work that way, the amount of data is very small, it just needs to get there quickly which in the end is hard to improve due to plain old physics, the electric signal needs to travel 100s of kms/miles)

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 7:55 PM, DanK said:

Yep halifax is correct. I was talking smack to a buddy on twitter about how i wanted online play for the SNES version of the game, and the nhl94.com account jumped into the thread to educate me. I downloaded that RetroArch program; now i just have to find myself a suitable gamepad and order that sumbitch through amazon or something. Thank you for the welcome, and I hope to run into you guys soon!

Glad you joined the forums. Enjoy your time around here!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 10:18 AM, Bob Kudelski said:

Welcome @DanK

Thank you Bob! And i also would to add a big Thank You to @smozoma and @halifax for getting me sorted out on RA and the Discord, and also to @danTML7 and @jmomonyc for f**king beating me in my first two laps around the rink. I appreciate the gang-style "beat-in" initiation, fellas! I'll get better...

• Like 1