kingraph

"SoChel Distancing" NHL'94 Online Tournament!

Recommended Posts

logo_mario.png

We (NHL94.com) have partnered with the Mario Lemieux Foundation to put together an online NHL'94 tournament!  All proceeds will benefit the Mario Lemieux Foundation for cancer research.

  • Entry Fee: $19.94 donation to the Mario Lemieux Foundation
  • Prizes: The champions for both Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis will receive an NHL'94 plaque signed by Mario Lemieux!  There will be other prizes that will be given away as well as part of the tournament.
  • Registration (starts Friday at 12 EST): https://www.nhl94.com/sochel94
  • When: Registration ends May 30th.  Opening rounds start June 6th.  
  • Rules
    • 5 Min Periods, Penalties Off, Offsides Off, Manual Goalie
    • Tournament Style format - Best of 3 series each round
    • Pick one team to use entire tournament
    • Full rules here: https://www.nhl94.com/sochel94/rules.html
  • Entrants: 64 player cap on each system (Genesis & SNES)
  • Can I Play Both?: Yes, with a separate donation for each entry.  So if you enter both, donate $19.94 x 2 = $39.88!

I hope all of you online veterans play, and set good examples for any new players that play as part of this tournament!  


Links:
 

SEGA GENESIS BRACKET: https://challonge.com/Sega_Genesis_SoChel
SUPER NINTENDO BRACKET: https://challonge.com/Super_Nintendo_Sochel
 

TWITCH STREAM: https://twitch.tv/kingofnhl94
FACEBOOK STREAM: https://facebook.com/nhl94dotcom/live

DONATE TO MARIO LEMIEUX FOUNDATION (for SoChel): Donation link

 

 

Mario Lemieux Foundation

Website
https://mariolemieux.org/
Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/MarioLemieuxFdn/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarioLemieuxFdn

NHL94.com

Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/nhl94dotcom/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarioLemieuxFdn
 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kgman think you'll come out of hiatus to play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw the ESPN article and realized I last played here 6 years ago, damn. Joe Baker is in. Too bad I'm only good in the regular season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joe Baker said:

Just saw the ESPN article and realized I last played here 6 years ago, damn. Joe Baker is in. Too bad I'm only good in the regular season.

yes! welcome back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players from 27 States, 9 Provinces and Territories and 4 European countries have registered for the SoChel NHL94 tournament!

May 16 2020 NA MAP.png

May 16 2020 EU MAP.png

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any numbers on GEN vs. SNES in the signups? Curious to see if more SNES players are coming out of the woodwork as the site is more catered toward SNES in terms of ROMs and leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kidswasted said:

Are there any numbers on GEN vs. SNES in the signups? Curious to see if more SNES players are coming out of the woodwork as the site is more catered toward SNES in terms of ROMs and leagues.

There’s about 260 sign ups and it’s around a 61/39 split for in favour of sega registrations. 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kidswasted said:

Are there any numbers on GEN vs. SNES in the signups? Curious to see if more SNES players are coming out of the woodwork as the site is more catered toward SNES in terms of ROMs and leagues.

Welcome @kidswasted

hit me up on discord for a game or if you ever want to chat SNES 94 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kidswasted said:

...as the site is more catered toward SNES in terms of ROMs and leagues.

I think you got this backwards?  Most of the stuff here is 95% Genesis and 5% SNES in terms of ROMs, Leagues, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, halifax said:

There’s about 260 sign ups and it’s around a 61/39 split for in favour of sega registrations. 


 

 

That's awesome! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kingraph said:

I think you got this backwards?  Most of the stuff here is 95% Genesis and 5% SNES in terms of ROMs, Leagues, etc.  

Yes, totally had it backwards. I think I was talking to my wife while I was typing. It's geared more towards Genesis is what I meant LOL.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

Welcome @kidswasted

hit me up on discord for a game or if you ever want to chat SNES 94 

Sounds good, thanks Bob! What is your Discord name?

Edited by kidswasted
Missing text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s everyone using for controllers? I was originally using the ibuffalo snes controller for both gens and snes but my left thumb was killing me from pushing the d pad down too hard lol. I started using an Xbox one controller the other day with the joystick and it feels a lot better. Curious to see what others are using. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

What’s everyone using for controllers? I was originally using the ibuffalo snes controller for both gens and snes but my left thumb was killing me from pushing the d pad down too hard lol. I started using an Xbox one controller the other day with the joystick and it feels a lot better. Curious to see what others are using. 

For SNES, I recommend using an original SNES controller with USB converter. If you don't have one, find one on kijiji or ebay, but make sure it's original and not a cheap reprod.

For USB converter, I highly recommend this one. It works great, excellent quality, and matches the SNES purple/grey aesthetic: https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29&osCsid=5847653417198baa1a153a618bbc8ef2

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

For SNES, I recommend using an original SNES controller with USB converter. If you don't have one, find one on kijiji or ebay, but make sure it's original and not a cheap reprod.

For USB converter, I highly recommend this one. It works great, excellent quality, and matches the SNES purple/grey aesthetic: https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29&osCsid=5847653417198baa1a153a618bbc8ef2

Love that fact that the guy hasn't updated the site layout in 20 years. It's like a neighborhood diner.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 9:51 AM, clockwise said:

Love that fact that the guy hasn't updated the site layout in 20 years. It's like a neighborhood diner.

I legit was concerned buying product from there when I saw that site.  I wonder if that turns away business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Edge of '94 Midwest said:

I legit was concerned buying product from there when I saw that site.  I wonder if that turns away business. 

I think the fact that he was pretty much the first guy in the space, in 2005, helps him a lot. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally was going to use Philly, but I'll be running MTL after I had some really good exis. 3 shut outs in a row and a couple wins after. Won a league with them back in the day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Registrations for the SoChel Distancing NHL94 tournament ended earlier today and there some new places to add to the map! Nevada, South Carolina and Finland!

 

In total: 30 States, 9 Provinces and Territories and 7 countries!

May 30 2020 NA MAP.png

May 30 2020 EU MAP.png

May 22 2020 JAPAN MAP.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nhl94slapshot said:

So what team you dudes going with to win the Mario?  

1bf72q.jpg

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nhl94slapshot said:

So what team you dudes going with to win the Mario?  

1bf72q.jpg

Wings baby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, halifax said:

Registrations for the SoChel Distancing NHL94 tournament ended earlier today and there some new places to add to the map! Nevada, South Carolina and Finland!

Wow, congrats, Hali!

This could be a great recruitment tool for the community!  I hope there is some terrific, unknown talent discovered.

Maybe with Corona happening, this will be how King of 94 V will be done?  Or is that event certified as "in-person only"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Wow, congrats, Hali!

This could be a great recruitment tool for the community!  I hope there is some terrific, unknown talent discovered.

Maybe with Corona happening, this will be how King of 94 V will be done?  Or is that event certified as "in-person only"?

Thanks! I've played a few new guys already...some great skils!

King of 94 will stay as a live event.

SoChel is the online event. I'm not sure if this will be a one time thing or if we'll do it again next year. I guess we'll see how the next couple of weeks go :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online